Aqualung's stance on e commerce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I really believe that AL (and Scubapro) are doing exactly what many of the LDS's want. Many LDS's don't want to compete or match those prices.

Thats the case here, they dont WANT to compete and then moan when people go elsewhere for cheaper.

Cudabait:
PADI's recent position on e-marketing has been thought provoking to say the least.

What would happen if Aqua Lung would boycot PADI dive centers? Or, vise versa?

It would seem, as in most business, the ultimate playing field will be accomplished by simple "supply and demand." Affordability is a major consideration of most divers.....particularly those that have been diving for some time. Inflexibility in equipment prices tends to make divers even more flexible in where they go to exercise their purchasing preferances.

Regards,

The funny thing is that the co-founder of PADI was also VP of AL for many years. As the two evolved they really did create and shape this model.

When I got certified, about my only source of dive info was the dive shop. The only real access I had to other divers was through the shop. They could have (and did) tell me just about anything and have me believe it. They were in control.

It's not that way anymore.

AL isn't interested in coming here because *we* are not their customers. Dive shops are, we don't count.

All my equipment and students' equipment was Aqualung. Last spring I replaced my Seaquest BCD with a Dive Rite. In December I replaced my Aqualung Glacier with a Dive Rite 2500 Ice. Later this year I will replace 2 of my student regs and maybe a new computer for myself, they will not be AL. They make good equipment but so do others. I do not agree with their internet policy and I guess I vote with my wallet.

Mike F:When I got certified, about my only source of dive info was the dive shop. The only real access I had to other divers was through the shop. They could have (and did) tell me just about anything and have me believe it. They were in control.

It's not that way anymore.

Mike, I think you just really hit it on the head. I don't think they know what to do and are digging in.

NetDoc:
I don't necessarily disagree with their entire premise. We certainly don't need EVERY shop trying to utilize the internet, and maybe this is one way for Aqualung to set themselves apart from the others.

But as Time Magazine so eloquently pointed out in their "Man of the Year" edition, the information age is here and now. The consumers are more in control than ever, and companies who are reluctant to embrace this new spirit of consumerism will lose out on significant revenues. Print media is all but dead and broadcast media is on the decline. Interactive media is THE force to reckon with now, and you will see more and more Fortune 500 companies convert their advertising budget to online opportunities.

The sales can still be local, but the information stage of any purchase is largely to be an online experience. ScubaBoard stands as the internet's 800 pound Scuba Diving Media Gorilla. I would suggest that more buying decisions are made here than just about any place else. We don't even sell any equipment. But our advertisers do.

BTW, I read Time's article on line. Print is dying a slow agonising death.

I couldn't have said it better myself.:wink:

What I am hearing from AquaLung is just a bunch of hot air. If they are really committed to the LDS sales model, then what are they doing to stop gray market sales through places like LeisurePro? To me, they aren't doing much, because they make the same on regulators that are sold through an LDS as they do on regulators sold on LeisurePro. Sure, what they are saying looks great on paper, but what are they really doing to back it up?

I fail to see the reasoning in this business model. Does anyone really believe that kids raised in the age of the internet are going to even consider buying a product that prohibits or restricts on-line sales? If Aqua Lung can stop 100% of the grey market sales of its product, all they will accomplish is a reduction in their market share.

Another HUGE flaw in their LDS only model is product availability. Small shops have small inventories. Half the time when I want something from my LDS they have to order it. Then they usually wait and combine it with other items to save on shipping. I have literally waited months for some items. Today's consumer wants things yesterday, not next month.

So Aqua Lungs answer to the internet is for a diver to pay full price and wait 2 weeks to get their products?

The sad thing is my LDS (which I actually like and support) believes the price protection business model will eventually work. They have been sold a pipe dream by the dive equipment manufacturers that will likely cause their demise.

NetDoc:
AL has already suffered some bad press on here and I don't want to exacerbate that one whit. I even e-mailed and called their corporate office (no response) when those negative threads came up. They need to be here to CLARIFY things (such as this statement) and to give us their side. .

Wasn't their response to this was to threaten to sue Scubaboard for hosting these negative threads?

Chris,

Where did this statement from Aqualung come from? It wasn't posted on their website in their news releases.

cerich:
Aqua Lung America’s Retail Philosophy Outlined Here.

Originally Posted by Aqualung
We were the first diving equipment manufacturer to employ Net Enforcers to assist in reducing “third party” or “grey market” shipments from unauthorized sources.

Liars, Liars, Liars....

They might have squashed some legitimate dealers from selling on the web, but they fully allow sales through grey marketers such as Liesure Pro. They know exactly where LP gets their stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they've now "cut out the middle man" and now ship gear to them directly in order to save costs.

Aqualung knows exactly what is going on here. They won't squash LP selling products because they don't want to give up the $1 million or more in annual retail sales that LP does for them in BC's, wetsuits, regulators, masks, fins, etc.

For this, and all of our previously stated reasons, Aqua Lung will continue to stand by and support its “in-store only” retail sales and service policies.

Talk about a company that is going to be left behind in the modern world. It's a shame because they make good gear. But I think most of us here have lost faith in them as a company and it's just too easy to buy a different brand where you don't have these problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom