Aquarium Shark Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to get certified next month, and want to do a dive with sharks afterwards in a controlled environment (as controlled as can possibly be), so I am obviously very new to the diving world.

Shark Dive Maui | Maui Ocean Centers Hawaiian Aquarium

1. How dangerous are these types of shark dives? I understand that there is always a potential danger, though what is the likelihood of one of these types of sharks attacking? Tiger shark, hammerhead shark, blacktip reef shark, grey reef shark, whitetip reef shark, sandbar shark, spotted eagle ray, broad stingray, and dozens of species of tropical reef and pelagic fish.

2. Any other reasons why this might be a bad idea?

Thanks.

I did this dive a few years back. Its awesome....
cant think of any reason it would be a bad idea. I'd do it again in a minute....
Have fun...:D

It's kind of hard to tell but you'll be bigger than most of the sharks in the tank - probably the only threat would be the Tiger(s) - if they were a lot bigger. Hammerheads in my experience are pretty timid. All the rest of the sharks in the tank are in the 5-6' range so no threat to you at all. In the wild, sharks of this size would likely either - ignore you - or perceive you as a threat and flee. Being in the tank they're pretty used to people. Even the few 6-7 footers have pretty small mouths. And they're all well-fed. Being a new diver you can expect the DM to hover nearby also. My buddy did the dive a few years ago - said it was pretty enjoyable. His kids watched from outside the tank.

Not my video but a good idea of what to expect:
(right click on the video to watch it in HD on Vimeo)
The shark at about 34 seconds into the video is the Tiger.

[vimeo]4127069[/vimeo]

Statistically, you are more likely to have a heart attack or stroke during that dive than be attacked by a shark. Look at it this way...do you think the Aquarium's insurance carrier would allow the practice if there was ANY appreciable chance a guest diver would be injured?

Go have fun and be sure to get some pictures to show back here on SB.

Haven't done this myself, but I know people who have. Most said it was pretty enjoyable, some were a bit nervous, some said it was a bit of a disappointment because the environment was too controlled; it didn't really feel like a real dive. All came out just fine.

I say if you really want to try this, go for it.

Looks like fun and not bad on the pricing. They state that a dive master will be next to you at all times. Don't think you'll have any issues.

This is a fairly benign way to experience sharks for your first time. It is basically a large swimming pool with a few extra bodies doing laps. It should be all fun, no emergencies. I say do it.

I did the shark dive in the Busan aquarium in South Korea a couple of years ago before even being OW certified (see my profile pic). It was run as a PADI Discover Scuba Experience.

The only threatening animals in the tank were the sea turtles who would nip at your legs when you entered the tank to "remind" you to feed them...

No one went into the tank with fins during my dive, to include the DM. We simply walked around the aquarium for about a half an hour or so.

It was a really great experience. I would go on another "dive" of this nature in a hearbeat!!!

Spitting out reg, soiling suit and ingesting water.

I did it years ago and even went into the "shark tank". I had absolutely no anxiety about being attacked. My main worry was trying to look like an expert but really looking foolish* to all the tourists outside the tanks looking at me. It was really fun to do once, but wouldn't do it again - too confining and contrived. Enjoy!!!

*bumping into the glass which required cleaning, knocking stuff over, keeping off/not silting up the bottom, or just looking like I had poor buoyancy control, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom