Are all light sticks created equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

new invention :confused: How many people actually use rechargeable batteries in a strobe to do a night dive.I dont know about you but i dont do night dives near as much as day dives so buying rechargeable batteries and a charger is not cost efficient for me.

How big of an impact do light sticks cause compared to a lot of other things.For the average diver doing the ocasional night dives i dont see no major enviromental impact to cause enough concern to use a strobe over a light stick.The nice thing about a light stick is it is less likely to fail, such as batteries going dead or getting flooded.

lal7176 once bubbled...
new invention :confused: How many people actually use rechargeable batteries in a strobe to do a night dive.I dont know about you but i dont do night dives near as much as day dives so buying rechargeable batteries and a charger is not cost efficient for me.

How big of an impact do light sticks cause compared to a lot of other things.For the average diver doing the ocasional night dives i dont see no major enviromental impact to cause enough concern to use a strobe over a light stick.The nice thing about a light stick is it is less likely to fail, such as batteries going dead or getting flooded.

Is this a joke? An AA rechargeable battery and charger is < $10. This is the worst argument I've heard yet.

Its like saying I only dump gas into a lake occasionally, so its ok.

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...

Is this a joke? An AA rechargeable battery and charger is < $10. This is the worst argument I've heard yet.

Its like saying I only dump gas into a lake occasionally, so its ok.

Darryl

Kind of like your argument for not using light sticks for the ocasional night dive.I'll use my light sticks and you can use your rechargeable battery and we will all be happy.Hopefully your battery or strobe doesnt fail on a night dive.

I dont know where you came up with dumping gas in a lake.Thats pretty lame with gas prices now a days.Hopefully you can do better than that as i have no idea how dumping gas in a lake got involved in this.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I dont know where you came up with dumping gas in a lake.Thats pretty lame with gas prices now a days.Hopefully you can do better than that as i have no idea how dumping gas in a lake got involved in this.

OK, I'll explain . . .

Saying its ok to so something environmentally unfriendly because you don't do it that often, does not make it ok.

dvleemin once bubbled...

OK, I'll explain . . .

Saying its ok to so something environmentally unfriendly because you don't do it that often, does not make it ok.

I do believe dumping gas in a lake would be illegal. I do not believe using a light stick on a night dive is illegal. They just dont compare.

dvleemin once bubbled...

Using light sticks IS illegal in some places, such as Bonaire.

I dont have to worry about that as i will probably never dive there anyways. Isnt that is the same place that doesnt allow divers to wear gloves.That comes from irresponsible divers.I believe in the old "pack it in, pack it out".Comes from irresponsible divers dumping there light sticks in the water and breaking them in the water to see the cool glow.Throw them in the trash when your done.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I dont have to worry about that as i will probably never dive there anyways. Isnt that is the same place that doesnt allow divers to wear gloves.That comes from irresponsible divers.I believe in the old "pack it in, pack it out".Comes from irresponsible divers dumping there light sticks in the water and breaking them in the water to see the cool glow.Throw them in the trash when your done.

The environmental damage is not just from stupid divers leaving the sticks in the water. It also comes from putting them in the landfill.

dvleemin once bubbled...

The environmental damage is not just from stupid divers leaving the sticks in the water. It also comes from putting them in the landfill.

I dont understand why you are getting so wound up about the ocassional use of a light stick on a night dive. I suppose you cause no enviromental impact yourself. I suppose you dont drive a car.That causes more enviromental impact than a light stick. Do you ever drink out of styrofoam cups, buy products from factories that cause pollution, mow your yard with a gas mower, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom