Are BC dumps really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Dumps are not necessary
2. You'd be crazy to dive without them!!
3. Extra failure points, silly to dive with them
4. Just a way for equipment manufacturers to excuse higher prices

How am I doing, Fisher?

I don't know about jacket BC's but on a wing, the left rear dump is designed to be used almost exclusively except when dumping air on the surface.

I use dump valves all the time. I have to stop and think about using the deflate button when I'm teaching.
To keep streamlined in the water I yank a shoulder dump while I'm swimming.

I tend to get more water in my BC when I'm demonstrating the deflate button.

Q. Is everyone implying that you do a lot of polls?

fisherdvm:
I haven't dove it yet, but it has alot more lift than my old BC.
This is the answer right here. The best way to evaluate a BC purchase is by checking the $/lbs of lift.

What about emergency dumps, say, from people other than yourself?

A shoot up situation, perhaps, when a rip cord can be pulled by a buddy but your inflater would sooner be ripped from your BC (not really, but you know what I mean)

fisherdvm:
I have dove alot of rentals, and some have dump valves and some don't. I always feel uncomfortable about using them... somehow, I feel that they will get more water in the bc... but not sure. I more often just use the BC inflator hose to empty the BC.

Just bought a new BC (tusa imprex, the old model... )... It doesn't have any dump valves. I haven't dove it yet, but it has alot more lift than my old BC.

I am a practical person... the less the better. The plus I see is less moving parts, less problems, less complications. I have done without a dump valve before, and probably wouldn't miss it.

Can you tell me where you find it beneficial to have it?? If so, which position do you like it best?

It probably has an overpressure/ manual dump/ valve in the end of the corrugated hose. You might need the overpressure one.

I'm usually slightly head down. Between that and my upside down diving, the bottom dumps come in handy.

Needed? Well, a BC isn't really *needed*...

Would I dive a BC without a dump to reach back and grab? Probably not -- it'd make diving somewhat annoying.

i use the right shoulder and right back dumps exclusively for getting air out. Much easier to get the air out than the hose when you are diving in a horizontal position.

I tuck the corrugated hose under my shoulder strap and only use it for inflate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom