Are there idiots on every dive boat?

Are idiots on every boat?

• Yes

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess every person would have thier own idea of what an idiot is...

Since I dive for a living and have traveled to many dive destinations for many years I guess I have my own opinions also.

I am sure some divers look at me with my different looking dive equipment and say, What a frickin moron! Not knowing I probably have about 3000 plus more dives then they do.

Do I look at them with thier new dive equipment, poor bouyancy and bad boat skills and think, What a frickin moron? No.

I have found that in the years I have been diving, the best thing to do is to talk to all the divers on the boat. Dont ask them about thier dive certifications, but more about where they are from, how they like the diving in thier area, etc...

I have yet to find anyone who turned out to be an idiot, once I got to know them.

Now after about 2 dozen beer :)

Curt Bowen:
I guess every person would have thier own idea of what an idiot is...
I have yet to find anyone who turned out to be an idiot, once I got to know them.

I guess you don't remember me do you?

I know we talk about idot divers as people who are loud and rude, have poor diving skills, do ridiculous things, aren't courtious of other divers around them etc...

But what it all boils down to for me is many of these idiot divers are perhaps prone to making mistakes out there. We are all out there together and no one wants to hear that alarm sound under water and surface to find out someone is not longer with us.

If you see someone doing something that could be potentially harmful to themselves or others...step up and let them know. You are doing them and everyone else a favor.

I know we can't be responsible for everyone out there...we don't know everyone and we don't all dive together, nor would we want too...But whether He or She might be a rude, obnoxious, selfish and uncourtious A-hole; I still want to see them back on the boat and safe at the end of the day. :14:

If there is an idiot on a dive boat, I'm probably the Mr. Careful nervous guy :huh:

Went diving once in Costa Rica and got on boat with a couple who went not by names but only called each other "lover" the entire trip. On deck they were loud and arrogant, bragging about their dive trips and their great personal attributes so all were pleased when it came time to get in the water as not to hear more about Mr. Lover and Mrs. Lover's wonder. Under the water the proved 10x more obnoxious...All arms and legs...they dove swimming hand in hand (puke) and managed to flail and encroach on every member of the boat. Anytime they saw someone looking at something Mr. Lover immediately drug Mrs. Lover by the arm digging and kicking thru the water pushing people out of the way to see. No spatial awareness at all. Swimming (if you call it that) directly on top of others. Mrs. Lover even got so excited and busy on one of the dives that she managed to suck almost the entire 3000lbs of air within 20 minutes...the DM had to surface her while the rest of us continued diving. Then she had the nerve to complain! Then to top it all off..they both smoked like stacks! All in all...they were a mess...but I will admit, we rarely go diving that we don't get a laugh out of recapping the Lover's experience. So, yeah...they were obnoxious...but we've gotten years of entertainment from it.

And yes...to quell everyone's concerns...
We all tried very hard with the Lover's to offer suggestions...none too well recieved. It ended up that the dive team just had to send two DM's down on the trips that they were on...One for the Lover's and one for the rest of us. LOL....
I cannot give more praise to the Dive shop...Rich Coast Diving in Costa Rica Guanacaste....Cause, they took it all in stride.....

I can't take credit for this but I have to tell you it was an effective way to let idiots know they're being idiots. Unfortunately, most idiots think they're rocket scientists and nothing is their fault. But, if you keep a dive-by-dive tally of all idiot behavior then it's irrefutible...

On my recent trip to Wakatobi a few of the more seasoned divers decided it would be fun to award a member of our group with the “Woody Award” for that one diver on every trip who just can’t do anything right and slows/ruins the experience for everyone else. The title of the award is a more PC, cleaned up version of the original title, “The D_ ck Head Award.” We borrowed a whiteboard from Wakatobi and set it up on the dive boat to log points every time a diver does something stupid or inconsiderate. For example, one diver got a point for losing a fin as he entered the water and another got a point for not being ready when the rest of his group was already in the water. I amassed three points for dunking my BC in the camera water tank, dropping one of my weight pockets, and hitting my husband in the face which knocked his regulator out and partially flooded his mask.

There was some debate as to whether I deserve these points since this was my first dive trip but I didn't care since it was all in fun...or at least I thought it was...the actual winner didn't think it was very funny at all. But, I think she got the point. And, you should have seen the trophy. It was obscene.

Divers/people do fit the bell curve. All groups are different. Some better than others. You see some real winners and some really on the low I.Q. side skewed to the left.

Dive boats are no different than any other place on earth, there's always gonna be at least one idiot around, it's part of the spice of life. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom