are there multiple ways to clear a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like everything else in SCUBA there are multiple ways to do everything.

For mask clearing I've seen two ways.

The first is to place palm of hand on frame of mask above nose look up and exhale through nose.

The second is to control the top of mask with the pointer fingers of both hand and using your thumbs 'open' the mask on the bottom, look up and exhale.

Your mask can/will act like a bucket if you look down. Look SLIGHTLY up and gently blow through your nose. If air will not pass, put some pressure on the top of the mask, and possibly have your thumb pull it a teensy eensy bit from the bottom.

I can clear my mask up to ten times on one breath. You don't need much air and honking into your mask may very well cavitate more water into it than out!

Your mask can/will act like a bucket if you look down. Look SLIGHTLY up and gently blow through your nose. If air will not pass, put some pressure on the top of the mask, and possibly have your thumb pull it a teensy eensy bit from the bottom.

I can clear my mask up to ten times on one breath. You don't need much air and honking into your mask may very well cavitate more water into it than out!

I'm lucky if I can get my mask clear in 1 breath. I'd be interested to see this being done is such a low volume of air, and I would love to be able to repeat it.

I'm lucky if I can get my mask clear in 1 breath. I'd be interested to see this being done is such a low volume of air, and I would love to be able to repeat it.

How much water are you putting in your mask? If you 100% fill your mask you may have a hard time getting all of the water out on the first try but even a half filled mask should be fairly reasonable to clear with less than a full breath.

If it takes you more than one breath there is no harm in that either, after all you won't be diving with a full make all the time will you?

Really, all the air you need to clear a mask is the volume of the mask, which is pretty small. Rebreather divers need to learn to clear their masks without exhaling ANY air into the water (because it changes their buoyancy!) I know that, when I did my original class, I somehow had the idea that I had to blow forcefully into the mask to expel the water, but it isn't true. A very gentle stream of air into the mask, if the mask is oriented correctly, has a seal, and you put some pressure on the top of it, will slowly push the water out the bottom.

Dirt on the glass is what causes fogging. Clean the mask with a detergent before every dive. Then apply de-fog. If you keep your mask glass sqeaky clean it will never fog.
It's actually the temperature difference that causes condensation. Your face is warming up the air inside the mask, and the water on the opposite side of the glass is cooling the glass. When the warm, moisture rich air inside the mask approaches the cold glass the temperature drops below the "dew point", and water begins to condense on the glass. (A quick and dirty explanation is that warm air can carry more water than cold air can. Once the temperature drops that excess water condenses).

I believe that the reason detergent works to stop condensation from forming is because it acts as a surfactant, lowering the surface tension of the water. The water still condenses, but instead of forming droplets it forms a very thin sheet of water that you look right through.

It's the residual detergent on the glass that keeps the droplets from forming, not the fact that it's clean.

Additional step for women: Remove all make-up (everything) from face before diving. The make-up will transfer through the water, attach to the glass, and cause fogging.
I don't know about attaching to the glass, but I have on occasion forgotten about makeup and gotten out of the water looking like a sad clown... oops!

bburville, loved your vids! Hilarious when she started tapping on your reg. Almost looked like she wanted to buddy breathe.:cool2:

How much water are you putting in your mask? If you 100% fill your mask you may have a hard time getting all of the water out on the first try but even a half filled mask should be fairly reasonable to clear with less than a full breath.

If it takes you more than one breath there is no harm in that either, after all you won't be diving with a full mask all the time will you?

Heavens no. I think I'm just being very inefficient about clearing the water from my mask. What TSandM said about clearing with a rebreather is exactly the opposite of what I am doing, as I seem to be spilling air all over the place as I clear. This idea of a 'gentle' stream of air to clear is something that I have to try when I get back into the water. I learned the 'forceful stream of air' approach in my OW and I've been using it since.

Time to revisit that plan.

Thanks!

Think in terms of filling a glass with air under water by releasing bubbles into it. There's no force involved at all. The air rises naturally and displaces the water without any huffing and puffing.
Is it possible you have your mask strapped too tight, making you fight it too much?
Got a pool close by you practice it in? You don't need scuba to practice this. Just throw the mask in, let it sink, dive in, put it on and clear it.
It's one of those things that when it comes to you, you'll say, "well heck, that was a no brainer".

Then for some real fun, try diving with some sport goggles that don't have a nose pocket! I did it once, and I had to depend on raising the bottom of each lens one at a time, tilting my head back and hoping my bubbles would make it into the eye pockets. Never did get all the water out, but at least I could see. http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/seal_clr_blu.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom