are there multiple ways to clear a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I would add to the discussion that you can also clear someone else's mask in case of need. There was one occasion when I found this a very useful skill to have.

Ouch. If you can't clear your mask (really basic skill) you are not ready to dive on your own yet.

There is an old fashioned method where the diver holds the right EDGE of the mask, rolls left and blows. This purges the mask out the side.

This method was used with double hose regulators because they were purged with the same rolling method.

I don't think I recommend this technique for modern divers but it is interesting to know that it exists.

Richard

Ouch. If you can't clear your mask (really basic skill) you are not ready to dive on your own yet.

Agreed. Nobody should have been in open water if not completely confident they can clear their own mask. But if it happens and the person is incapable of clearing their mask for whatever reason and are near panic, it can be cleared by someone else using a second stage. Again, I am just commenting that it is possible and the skill can be useful in some circumstances.

I don't know if it is what you are looking for or not but one interesting concept I got here on scubaboard was many people think of clearing their mask as trying to blow the water out of the mask. This makes them blow harder to push the water out. Instead think of it as gently filling the mask with air and the water will automatically leave as you tilt your head back and gently push on the top of the mask. It usually takes very little effort when looked at it from this mind set.

It used to freak me out to have water in my mask but after so many dives in my begining days fighting my mask I learned how not to let it bother me. Fogging on the other hand does bother me. I had one buddy tell me he just takes his mask of underwater when it fogs up and licks it to clear it up. He is quite a bit more accomplished diver than I am.

I always dive with a back up mask .... you never know when something will try to steal yours...

Actually did see it once on an Aquacat video. A gal being filmed/taped (or whatever since they don't use film or tape) took her mask off to smile for the camera and a large grouper swam up from behind her and grabbed the mask. Soon dropped it but she had to go to the sand to retrieve it.

There is an old fashioned method where the diver holds the right EDGE of the mask, rolls left and blows. This purges the mask out the side.

This method was used with double hose regulators because they were purged with the same rolling method.

I don't think I recommend this technique for modern divers but it is interesting to know that it exists.

Richard

Well I never claimed to be a modern diver. I've always cleared my mask by rolling head and clearing from the side. Since I only used a double hose reg once I turn my head to the right while holding the right edge of the mask. Been doing that or looking up for years both work well, as it's the same technique in a different direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom