Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveKitten once bubbled...
I'm beginning to learn that there is a difference between what PADI says you need to dive and what divers say you need to dive. For instance, a snorkle. I've met a few people who refuse to
dive with a snorkle. Thoughts?

~DiveKitten *meow* :kitty:

Around students I do. When I'm pleasure diving it stays in my gear bag.

I always wear mine. I have never had an entanglment, had it get in the way, or anything like that. When I'm doing a surface swim on a beach dive, I like to check out whats checking me out. Seen some pretty neat stuff, with my snorkle. Sea lions chasing a bait ball, a dolphin swimming below me, a leopard shard checking me out.

And finally, 'It's better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.'

And that's MY two cents!

when on a Florida Keys boat that requires them. I use a short kid's snorkle with a purge valve, and use a bit of cut up mouthpiece to extend the height about 6" with the hacked off end of another snorkle. Pink and green. Very stylish.

Rarely do I wear it elsewhere, except on a few select shore dives where the surface swim is through pilings or shallow coral heads and I need to be looking ahead often.

I prefer to swim on my back as it is easier to keep my fins in the water.

For getting back on a boat, the regulator provides air both below and above the surface -- much better than swallowing water while attempting to use a snorkel as waves break over you while you are removing fins.

------------

The other common snorkel question is "with purge valve or not?". For free diving the purge valve makes it so you can't do a displacement purge as you return to the surface, but if what you need is something for hanging out on the surface for an extended period, then the purge valve makes clearing much easier.

Charlie

Charlie99 once bubbled...
when on a Florida Keys boat that requires them. snip-------

Charlie
Which outfit is that?

I don't use mine at all since the OW certs. Frankly, it really bugged me and made the mask leak.
Even found a couple in my diving and now have WAY more than I need.

ABQdiver once bubbled...
Which outfit is that?
I've gone with several operators in the Keys that require a snorkel. IIRC, Abyss Dive Center, Marathon and Strike Zone, Big Pine Key are two of them.

It's funny how the day before in Lantana, on a boat I'd never been on before, they never even asked if I had a cert card, the waiver was just a roster sheet with one line per diver, and the drift ball buoy is an acceptable substitute for a buddy. The next day, in the Keys, I'm showing a cert card, initialing 15 pararaphs on a full page waiver, and they require a snorkel on the diver.

The water was wet in both places and I had a great time in both.

I've kept a snorkel attached to my mask for over 30 years.
Perhaps I've just gotten used to it.
I use a backplate and wing and I find it handy for long surface swims to/from shore. There have been the odd times when I was glad I had it with me.

To me it's like insurance, don't want it until you need it, then glad you had it.

If I were strictly a cave diver I'd probably ditch it, but I'm not.

Mike D
:blfish:

I got one of those fold-up types & it lives in my "extras" pocket on the waist strap of my BP along with shears & a 6'line. Don't ever expect to need it but have it "in case".
Some boats do require it, and most classes require it, but they never say you have to wear it, just have it.

I always dive with a snorkel . . .it started getting in the way some time ago but doesn't anymore. I use it on the surface.

I think it would come in pretty handy also if you had an emergency or a long surface swim.

Northeastwrecks wrote...
If you swim on your back on the surface, you will not need one.
...as long as you don't have a following sea. That was the one time I wished I'd had mine. Otherwise, I haven't used it for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom