Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How come nobody ever asks if you take your tank(s) when you go snorkeling??????
Isn't easier and safer to just come back from the dive with enough air/gas to surface swim with the reg in?
I've been on ONE boat that required a snorkel. I tucked it under the back-plate for that trip and will never dive with that boat again (for several reasons not just the snorkel).
I have my favorite snorkel and I use it when I go SNORKELING. But I don't wear the bunggied reg when I go. :boom:

metridium once bubbled...
...as long as you don't have a following sea. That was the one time I wished I'd had mine. Otherwise, I haven't used it for years.

Point taken. I see where that would be annoying.

Still, if I did carry one, it would be collapsable and would go in my pocket.

I don't have one on my kit at the moment, three reasons, I am currently only diving inland sites until the weather improves where the surface swims are generally quite short and I also like to have the option of putting my mask on under my hood sometimes and that is very difficult if I have a great big snorkel attached. Also I *hate* having things around my head like that, can't stand my hood and mask at the best of times so why aggravate the situation with a snorkel.

I will get one as I think they can have their uses, but like Northeastwrecks said, it will be a collapsable one that can tuck into the pocket of my BC so it doesn't cause any problems on my dives.

I know plenty of people who dive with them and plenty of people who dive without them, personal preference I guess.

I leave my snorkle in my gear bag. I had it catch on something during a dive once and it pulled my mask off. So now I just leave it behind.

A dive boat that requires a snorkle. Guess I have't ran into one of those. I suppose that is something else I should ask of any diveboat I intend to use.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
A dive boat that requires a snorkle. Guess I have't ran into one of those. I suppose that is something else I should ask of any diveboat I intend to use.
I've also heard from reliable sources that Laguna Beach, California lifeguards enforce a city law requiring snorkels and a buddy. There really is a scuba police.:rolleyes:

I might consider one if I could see more than 5ft in the water. With low vis I'd rather just float on my back.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I've also heard from reliable sources that Laguna Beach, California lifeguards enforce a city law requiring snorkels and a buddy. There really is a scuba police.:rolleyes:

Yeah they have scuba police on Maui too. They don't want ya to strap a stupid snorkle on though. They want a dive flag towed around. No one tows one but most bring one and tie it to a coral head.

I use the flag here only when I'm at a popular beach with boats in the area, most spots on maui boats aren't a problem. Also the scuba police won't cite a tourist.

Snorkels SUCK!!

Oh, I sorry... The snorkels don't suck. The snorkel is the suck-ee. The person using it is the suck-ER!:D

But I might go back to using one if I could find the kind with the ping-pong ball!:wink:

I normally use my snorkel when I dive. When I get to the surface and have to wait to get on the boat. I also use it while I'm waiting for the group to get off the boat. I can breath in more air through the pipe on the snorkel than the little hose on my regulator.

I will say (Walter isn't supposed to look at this) that I dove without my snorkel this past week for the first time. Not using the snorkel does make the mask fit better and keeps my slap strap from twisting in the hair above my ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom