Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neither me or my instructors ever used a snorkel in my PADI OW or AOW class. I actually brought one for my first AOW dive (DPV) and my instructor told me to get rid of it, as it would be detrimental. I guess not all PADI instructors follow their rules about snorkels.

I carry one of those Avid folding snorkels in a pocket on my belt. I think I've used it once. It's a terrible excuse for a snorkel, but then again, I don't have much need for one.

In heavy surf, I still wear my snorkel. Otherwise, I use it less and less.
The one time I NEVER wear one is in strong current. Sarnia, Ontario is a nearby dive site where current can reach 5 to 7 knots. Turn your head the wrong way and the drag from a snorkel feels like it could remove your mask at times. Same goes for any dangling gear-- stay streamlined.
Although it may seem safer at times, at others it is just creates an extra danger.
Most of the time, I consider it diver preference... other times wearing a snorkel can actually be risky.:snorkel:

Snorkels Are A Pain to carry, but you will will be glad you brought it with you the first time you have to make a shore exit in rough surf. 2 probs, most don't like them dangling from the mask, and most people buy cheap. You can buy special clips that allow you to take you snorkel on/off, put it in a pocket and out of the way. It's there if you need it. A good snorkel that fits you and is of good quality is easy to breath, and reliable. I like the dry snorkels that prevent water from entering the tube. A cheap dry snorkel will suffocate you however! :) zeN|||=-)

I always carry the snorkel even though I don't use it too often.
But if I need it, I can use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom