Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I have a snorkle. It lives in the bottom of my gear bag and comes out when I work classes. When I do real dives, I leave it in the gear bag.

I know this sounds stupid but I'm just curious. In a case where you didn't wear the snorkel when on the open water portions of a student's training dives, would you be liable if something went wrong? THere is a violation of standards (at least with PADI) if you aren't wearing a snorkel.

most of the time i'll dive without the snorkle.about 99%, but every now and then if the swim back to the boat is in a choppy sea, i'm glad i have it on. with that said, it sure is a pain in the butt.:)

I absolutely hate snorkels!

I never snorkel so, I don't need one.

Snorkels pull your mask off, create drag, cause entanglements and don't serve a true function in SCUBA. I prefer swimming on my back anyway.

I don't wear a snorkel when working with classes...I can't bring myself to set such a bad example.

I have not worn a snorkel for years and many of dives involve long surface swims and entries thru surf were supposedly they would be useful.

My gear is optimized for scuba diving. The snorkel in an entanglement hazard and when diving in current can create a lot of drag.

The SCUBA certification agencies have requirements for snorkels during most classes.

The city of Laguna Beach, CA requires that all scuba divers carry a snorkel.

For these dives I now carry a flexible,
roll-up snorkel carried in its little holder, clipped off inside a pocket on my drysuit.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

I really should dump it as the snorkel gets in the way far too frequently when I'm poking my video camera into a hole or crevice. In doing so it usually jars the camera and ruins the shot. Since I dive in kelp forests it is a problem with respect to entanglement as Marc mentioned.

In fact, I can't really think of a dive when it has been of value, much less a necessity. Just too lazy to remove it I guess.

Dr. Bill

I’m a snorkel keeper. I use it all of the time for its intended use – snorkeling. Like everyone else, I was trained to use one when diving, but haven’t dove with one in many years. I also never dive with a hockey stick. That too is a different activity.

After reading this thread the other day, I decided to take it off, take it all off (well, the two snorkel parts and the keeper) and dive naked.

It's been about 35 years since I've dived consistently without a snorkel and the feeling of freedom was great. The snorkel no longer bangs me in the face or vibrates as I race through the kelp forest or gets entangled. When I poked my head into caves and crevices, the snorkel didn't hit the overhead and ruin my shots.

I think I'm a convert, at least for locxal diving. Just goes to show you CAN teach an old salty dog new tricks (or have him relearn old ones)! However if I'm doing extensive surface swims, I'll probably reattach it.

Dr. Bill

H2OHead once bubbled...
I also never dive with a hockey stick. That too is a different activity.

you must feel out of place when they drop the puck underwater then....I carry my stick and fighting gloves all the time. :wink:

Perhaps one of those folding travel pipes kept in a pocket of pouch depending on your rig, A snorkle isnt a bad thing to have should a long surface swim be needed. Having a need without the tool can be a problem.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom