Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERP once bubbled...
Braunbehrens, I'm interested in what sort of snorkel your using?, mine might fit in my DS pocket, but something more compact would be better.

It's a telescoping kind, I forget where I got it. I've seen adds for bendable ones that fold up in to a little snail looking thing, that looks even better.

Sorry, don't know where to get them. If you find out post here, I'm sure others would like to know.

I do and and I don't. I carry one with me in my BCD pocket in case I surface and the sea is rough, then its good to use as you canserve air, but the majority of the time I don't use one.

Its a personal choice but don't discount it. There are times when you will wish that you had one so carrying one is a good idea, even if you don't wear it.

Coogeeman

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

OK, here's my bet. When Lobos kelp is in full bloom, let's see how long it takes with and without a snorkel to swim all the way through the channel to the mouth of whalers.

Aside from it taking longer, it wastes a huge amount of energy to keep getting tangled in the kelp and having to untangle yourself.

In relatively kelp free water I agree, there is no need for a snorkel. Even in moderate kelp I don't bother with it, and certainly I don't use it when boat diving (which is 99% of the time).

As I said, I don't have my snorkel attached anywhere on my mask, when I bring it I put it in my pocket.

Unfortunately i havent had the oppurtunity to dive Pt Lobos. Thats what happens when you show up on a weekend with no reservations :D They kick you to the curb.

In thick kelp i guess a snorkel would be a good idea. I can usually do the kelp crawl pretty easy without the use of a snorkel by keeping my head above the water. Once i get through the kelp i roll back over on my back and look over my shoulder till the next batch and roll over and push the kelp under me as i go through it.

Generally on the way back in i reserve enough air to swim under and through the kelp.

I am gonna check into a telescoping snorkel and keep it in my pocket. I absolutely hate snorkels and would only use one for navigating through the kelp even though i seem to do ok without one. A snorkel would probably make it that much easier.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
I suspect one day the certifying agencys will actually ban the use of snorkels. They just don't make sense.

I don't remember the last time I used a snorkel, but that's *not* to say I would never use one again.

What would posses anyone to say they should be banned? Come on, why back yourself into such a corner. Snorkels have there place, mainly at the bottom of a dive bag, but they are there for the odd time the plan may dictate their need.

lal7176 once bubbled...
\I am gonna check into a telescoping snorkel and keep it in my pocket. I absolutely hate snorkels and would only use one for navigating through the kelp even though i seem to do ok without one. A snorkel would probably make it that much easier.

I wouldn't even bother keeping it in the pocket at all times, my pockets are already pretty full with spare masks etc. I only take it along when I know I'll need it for the surface swim.

Thanks for the explaination. My gear set up is a Scubapro Sport Classic BC with a dump valve on my right shoulder. If I chose to ascend horizontally, it would be harder to use than a dump valve on a wing BC. However, most of the places I tend to dive would make it hazardous to ascend in that manner. I ascend vertically and turn as I ascend looking for boats in the water. I would most likely resemble a manatee should I choose a horizontal ascent. Boaters love to use dive flags as targets.

DennisW once bubbled...
I can't understand how the snorkel can be confused as a power inflator. It isn't anywhere close to the power inflator if it is clipped to your mask, and it is also nowhere near the dump valve line on my BC. I must be missing something, but even narc'd out of my mind (and I have been narc'd pretty good in the past) I've never mistaken my snorkel for my power inflator. However, I use my dump valve exclusively to release air from my BC. I doubt that except for my open water dive skills tests, I've never used the power inflator hose to dump air from my BC.

Just curious, not trying to start an argument.

Hey Dennis,

I've never tried to dump or add air with the snorkle. I've grabbed it, realized I had the wrong thing in my hand, switched to the inflator and then added/dumped air.

I just don't want to ever loose valuable time fumbling with the snorkle if I have an emergency under water.

Part of the problem is the snorkle I have has the lower half of the snorkle as a flexible corugated tube with a mouthpiece on the end of it so it hangs away from my face when not in use right over the inflator hose on my old seaquest PRO-QD. Very easy to grab as it feels almost the same as the inflator with heavy gloves on.
I don't use a snorkle when diving doubles on my trans-pac2 now either because of the long hose.

My snorkel is just a curved plastic pipe with a mouthpiece. I don't like the corugated ones. They catch water.

Lets see, the kelp forest is by far my most favorite place in the ocean. I am also one who enjoys free diving, not done easily without a snorkle. I have also done a lot of diving when the sea was up a tad, you know the ones where the dive platform is 4' deep and the next moment its out of the water. Thats hooked to the stern of a 80 foot boat and to be honest my snorkle has never been tangled in kelp nor does it seem to be an issue as far as drag goes. As far as long surface swims go, you know the ones when the boat is 2 inches long on the horizon and you have 800 lbs left. I remove my BC, inflate it so as be a nice wide float with the tank hanging and lie on it and kick. Nothing beats a paddle board for a long kick. Ingenuity is the stuff that brings you back to the boat when you'v lost track and wandered a bit far.
Bill...Dive safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom