Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by sharpenu
"Frequently they will give it away with their choice of gear and gear configuration. If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal"

According to his philosophy, if you aren't outfitted to DIR standards, you are not in an optimal configuration and are a stroke. And rule #1 is "Don't dive with strokes"
Your paraphrase of the statement is way off Sharpenu...
You added in *DIR standards*...
You don't claim to be DIR so you shouldn't be trying to re-define the definition of *stroke* and then put it into the mouth of DIR advocates... (IMO)

I am DIR...
I am GUE trained...
I dive at times with people who aren't.
You can call me a stroke but no one who is DIR would.

Pug:

Rule #1 (It is even on the GUE site) Don't dive with strokes.

They define a stroke as any person who follows unsafe practices. Violating rule #1 is an unsafe practice, is it not? That is the entire defense GUE uses to say the deaths of several DIR divers don't count against the system. "They were violating rule #1, so they weren't DIR."

Posts by other divers:

Waterlover: (on this thread)
"I'm a stroke because, I wear fixed D rings on my shoulder and waist."

They are very specific on gear. George Irvine says on the WKPP site:
http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/newgeorge.html
Quote:
"A good SCUBA equipment configuration needs to carry through all of your diving, from open water to cave in such a fashion that the addition of items necessary for each dive does not in any way interfere with or change the existing configuration."

He goes on to say:
"a diver must "settle for nothing less than perfection. Those who do will discover on their own the value of such effort. Those who do not will never understand what the others are talking about". What we have presented here is called the "Doing It Right" system, and is a platform that is integrated completely and accommodates all contingencies and additions, but no phobias. Use it accordingly with one caveat - "never break Rule Number One", which is "Don't dive with strokes". "

MANY sites, including those run by GUE graduates, call DIR an all or nothing approach. I have even heard them say "95% DIR is like 95% pregnant"

That is EXACTLY what turns off so many of us, is that you DIR people have this constant "I am better than you" pompous, self important attitude. If you guys would just learn to lighten up on all of that attitude and the name calling, people might discover that DIR has some good points.

<sheepish grin> You got me, and even set the hook. Stay wet!

Originally posted by sharpenu
That is EXACTLY what turns off so many of us, is that you DIR people have this constant "I am better than you" pompous, self important attitude. If you guys would just learn to lighten up on all of that attitude and the name calling, people might discover that DIR has some good points.

You're the one that needs to lighten up. I haven't seen that attitude you're talking about. But what I have seen is a lot of defensiveness when the debate doesn't go your way. I've heard that "name calling", "pompous", "self important", "militant", "cult" crap till I'm tired of hearing it. Very few DIR advocates are as you describe - but I'm damn sure finding alot of opponents that fit that bill.

Originally posted by jimholcomb

You're the one that needs to lighten up.
Ahhh shoot Jim...
I'm the one that sucked him into that response...
Not that he wasn't primed for it...
But he's OK....
:D

He'll be a DIR devotee like the rest of us before the summers out.
Some just kick harder goin' down the chute... :wink:

Who is a stroke?
Is there anyone on this board who dives 100% DIR with 100% DIR people ALL the time!

Even your spouse?

I'm a stroke for diving with my wife!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom