Sexual abuse while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the support everyone, I am worried that the instructor who did this to me actually OWNS the dive shop or has a big role in it. He is the main point of contact on the website. Therefore, I have no idea if I can even report it to the dive shop safely.

Also, I have thought about posting a Google Review for the dive shop. However, you can't post Google Reviews anonymously, and if I provide enough details they could easily know it is me. They know where I am staying right now as well.

I made a report to PADI through their Quality Management system. I hope this person has their credentials removed and are listed as an expelled individual so they can't teach again.
I hope you are OK but please be very careful posting negative reviews about a business in Thailand, the laws are very different and as absurd as it sounds you can end up in a lot of trouble

I think you are right to report to Padi and I would try and contact the owner or a female diver instructor / DM that is working at the shop

Thank you for the support everyone, I am worried that the instructor who did this to me actually OWNS the dive shop or has a big role in it. He is the main point of contact on the website. Therefore, I have no idea if I can even report it to the dive shop safely.

Also, I have thought about posting a Google Review for the dive shop. However, you can't post Google Reviews anonymously, and if I provide enough details they could easily know it is me. They know where I am staying right now as well.

I made a report to PADI through their Quality Management system. I hope this person has their credentials removed and are listed as an expelled individual so they can't teach again.

I have no idea what to do but I want to make sure that this situation doesn't happen to anyone else. I am a foreigner living in Northern Thailand. I leave Krabi in a week

Well you're in good company, as most on this thread have no consideration of you in what to do either

What I would do is leave Krabi now and then Thailand

So sorry this happened to you. Like others said, I think it would be good to report him to the police too.

Thank you for reporting him to PADI.

That is horrific.

Is there a reason you are withholding the name of the shop/boat/instructor? I'm not usually one of the people screaming "name and shame" in every incident thread but in this case it might prevent him from victimizing more divers.

That is horrific.

Is there a reason you are withholding the name of the shop/boat/instructor? I'm not usually one of the people screaming "name and shame" in every incident thread but in this case it might prevent him from victimizing more divers.
Agreed! I think I heard about the incident this woman is describing and if it's the same one, the instructor, despite showing them a card issued in 1998, wasn't active and was using another instructor's number. To everyone out there, agencies like PADI, SSI, etc. have "pro check" sites that I recommend you use to ensure your instructor is actually certified and in good standing.

PADI: PADI Pro Chek

SSI: my.DiveSSI.com - online_leader_check

That is horrific.

Possibly because in Thailand laws for defamation of a person or business are very different than in the west, negative reviews can land you in lots of trouble

Instead, he forced me to hold his hand the entire time. At some point during the first dive, he grazed my breast. I thought it was just an accident. After the first dive with the beginner diver, he said that I could go on a deeper dive with him (to approximately 11m) if I wanted to.
As a woman with larger breasts, I find that after they get to a certain size, grazing other people, and even objects while swimming just happens a lot. I'm not trying to make light of what happened though, my breasts have been touched underwater, but it was more like brushing up to them and not really like grabbing, or groping, or fondling, so I never really called anyone out for it.

As a woman with larger breasts, I find that after they get to a certain size, grazing other people, and even objects while swimming just happens a lot. I'm not trying to make light of what happened though, my breasts have been touched underwater, but it was more like brushing up to them and not really like grabbing, or groping, or fondling, so I never really called anyone out for it.
I imagined the same at first until she wrote about the instructor continually touching her crotch. That is nasty

I imagined the same at first until she wrote about the instructor continually touching her crotch. That is nasty
Yes, that is why I don't want to make light of her situation, it was still clear he was taking advantage of her. Touching a woman's crotch, or anyone's really, is more blatant than touching a woman's breasts.

Back
Top Bottom