Sexual abuse while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but need some advice about an encounter I just had while diving. *warning* discusses sexual abuse

I got my Open Water Diver certification 10 years ago and haven't been diving since (due to location, lack of availability, etc). About a year ago, I moved to Thailand, and recently decided to do a refresher training.

The dive I went on was beautiful, off the coast of Krabi. The experience itself was the worst. The Dive Shop assured me that I would be put on a boat with other certified divers and would get a refresher of basic skills before going down. Instead, I was put on a boat with 2 others, one person who had never been diving, and his wife, who remained on the boat. Since I had not been diving for so long, and was reassured I would still get a good dive, I didn't complain too much as long as I could refresh my skills and get some good diving time in.

After the male dive instructor asked me to refresh my basic skills (mask clearing and regulator retrieval), which I did easily, he said that I would be going down with him and the other student, but that he would control my buoyancy. He also said that I could swim on my own (without him holding onto me) if I proved that I could do those two basic skills (mask clearing and regulator retrieval). He didn't end up letting me do that.

Instead, he forced me to hold his hand the entire time. At some point during the first dive, he grazed my breast. I thought it was just an accident. After the first dive with the beginner diver, he said that I could go on a deeper dive with him (to approximately 11m) if I wanted to. When the beginner diver asked if he could join, the instructor said no, because he didn't have the skills that I had. I thought nothing of it and was happy that I was allowed to go deeper. He weirdly continued to insist that he hold me, and either held my hand or shoulders, which felt weird because he could have just held my tank/BCD.

It was on the second dive when it got really obvious to me that something was wrong. Similarly, we initiated the dive with the other beginner diver, but after about 20-25 minutes maybe, we resurfaced. Then, he asked again if I wanted to go for maybe 10 more minutes of deeper diving. This time, he brought me far from the boat into a more secluded area. He started holding on to me weird, where at times he would hold onto both of my shoulders. He then put his hand on my crotch and began stroking it, with his other hand between my legs. I at first naively though he was trying to prevent me from stepping on the coral on the ocean floor. But then he brought me to a secluded area, where there were no coral, and we weren't moving, while he continued to stroke my crotch. Every few seconds he would signal the OK signal to me, and I had no choice but to signal OK back. When I realized what was happening, I signaled that I wanted to go up. He signaled... lets swim for a bit, then go back up. There was nothing I could do. He held onto me. I just tried remaining calm, and trying not to do anything rash that could get him to do something worse to me.

When we finally got back to the boat, he had the audacity to ask me to add him on Facebook or Instagram. Ugh. So disgusting.

I have no idea what to do but I want to make sure that this situation doesn't happen to anyone else. I am a foreigner living in Northern Thailand. I leave Krabi in a week. I know the instructors PADI certification # and name. I booked the dive with a well-rated dive shop. Any suggestions on course of action?

Good morning, and thank you for feeling comfortable enough to discuss this on the forum. Firstly, I hope hope HOPE you are ok, and are in a safe place physically, emotionally, and mentally. I'm not sure of the availability of any crisis lines in Thailand, but it might be worth looking into, even if you don't think you need them at the moment.

As far as your encounter-instructors trying to maintain positive control of a student or a refresher would always hold on to a BCD shoulder strap, D-Ring, ect, where they can access your LPI, dump valves, or be able to provide face to face instruction. Have I had dives where I had to hold a student's hand? Absolutely. But it was initiated by the student, was for purposes of calming them and making them more relaxed, and was short lived. I can't imagine acting the way this instructor acted.

Since you have his name and PADI number available, absolutely report him to this agency. The contact info for PADI Asia is listed below:

Level 4, 120 Old Pittwater Road
Brookvale, NSW 2100, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9454 2888
Fax: +61 2 9454 2999

Absolutely reach out if you need to talk to anyone, and I hope some resolution comes of this.

Nope! Report that douchebag to every agency you can find... police, PADI, the shop, his parents, put flyers up with his picture... that is disgusting.

Tell you what, you buy me a plane ticket and I'll come over there right now and castrate him. Slowly.

I'm sorry you went through this and, please, if you feel the need, reach out to someone to help you deal with that trauma.

We got your back.

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum but need some advice about an encounter I just had while diving. *warning* discusses sexual abuse

I got my Open Water Diver certification 10 years ago and haven't been diving since (due to location, lack of availability, etc). About a year ago, I moved to Thailand, and recently decided to do a refresher training.

The dive I went on was beautiful, off the coast of Krabi. The experience itself was the worst. The Dive Shop assured me that I would be put on a boat with other certified divers and would get a refresher of basic skills before going down. Instead, I was put on a boat with 2 others, one person who had never been diving, and his wife, who remained on the boat. Since I had not been diving for so long, and was reassured I would still get a good dive, I didn't complain too much as long as I could refresh my skills and get some good diving time in.

After the male dive instructor asked me to refresh my basic skills (mask clearing and regulator retrieval), which I did easily, he said that I would be going down with him and the other student, but that he would control my buoyancy. He also said that I could swim on my own (without him holding onto me) if I proved that I could do those two basic skills (mask clearing and regulator retrieval). He didn't end up letting me do that.

Instead, he forced me to hold his hand the entire time. At some point during the first dive, he grazed my breast. I thought it was just an accident. After the first dive with the beginner diver, he said that I could go on a deeper dive with him (to approximately 11m) if I wanted to. When the beginner diver asked if he could join, the instructor said no, because he didn't have the skills that I had. I thought nothing of it and was happy that I was allowed to go deeper. He weirdly continued to insist that he hold me, and either held my hand or shoulders, which felt weird because he could have just held my tank/BCD.

It was on the second dive when it got really obvious to me that something was wrong. Similarly, we initiated the dive with the other beginner diver, but after about 20-25 minutes maybe, we resurfaced. Then, he asked again if I wanted to go for maybe 10 more minutes of deeper diving. This time, he brought me far from the boat into a more secluded area. He started holding on to me weird, where at times he would hold onto both of my shoulders. He then put his hand on my crotch and began stroking it, with his other hand between my legs. I at first naively though he was trying to prevent me from stepping on the coral on the ocean floor. But then he brought me to a secluded area, where there were no coral, and we weren't moving, while he continued to stroke my crotch. Every few seconds he would signal the OK signal to me, and I had no choice but to signal OK back. When I realized what was happening, I signaled that I wanted to go up. He signaled... lets swim for a bit, then go back up. There was nothing I could do. He held onto me. I just tried remaining calm, and trying not to do anything rash that could get him to do something worse to me.

When we finally got back to the boat, he had the audacity to ask me to add him on Facebook or Instagram. Ugh. So disgusting.

I have no idea what to do but I want to make sure that this situation doesn't happen to anyone else. I am a foreigner living in Northern Thailand. I leave Krabi in a week. I know the instructors PADI certification # and name. I booked the dive with a well-rated dive shop. Any suggestions on course of actio
Sorry that happened to you. What a perv and weirdo. Report. That weirdo should never be allowed to instruct again. Terrible

Yes, definitely report it but... Make sure you are safe and out of reach of this person.

Men, predatory men, will sometimes react violently when they're exposed as scumbag/predators. For a woman to bring what is considered dishonor or show disrespect to a man in many parts of the world is considered justification for violent retribution.

Just make sure you're safe and away from this creep before reporting. But definitely report.

He gives us all a bad name.

As stated, PADI, police, and dive shop all should get a formal written complaint.

It will become a he said-she said issue, sadly, but you never know. You may be the n-th complaint that finally gets him removed from contact with the public.

Thank you for the support everyone, I am worried that the instructor who did this to me actually OWNS the dive shop or has a big role in it. He is the main point of contact on the website. Therefore, I have no idea if I can even report it to the dive shop safely.

Also, I have thought about posting a Google Review for the dive shop. However, you can't post Google Reviews anonymously, and if I provide enough details they could easily know it is me. They know where I am staying right now as well.

I made a report to PADI through their Quality Management system. I hope this person has their credentials removed and are listed as an expelled individual so they can't teach again.

Thank you for the support everyone, I am worried that the instructor who did this to me actually OWNS the dive shop or has a big role in it. He is the main point of contact on the website. Therefore, I have no idea if I can even report it to the dive shop safely.

Also, I have thought about posting a Google Review for the dive shop. However, you can't post Google Reviews anonymously, and if I provide enough details they could easily know it is me. They know where I am staying right now as well.

I made a report to PADI through their Quality Management system. I hope this person has their credentials removed and are listed as an expelled individual so they can't teach again.
So sorry to hear this.
Report him to the police as well. It might not get the result you want, but might be enough to prevent him doing it to some other poor female.

Back
Top Bottom