Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Who is a stroke?
Is there anyone on this board who dives 100% DIR with 100% DIR people ALL the time!

Even your spouse?
I'm a stroke for diving with my wife!!

Look. Most of these quotes people keep coming up with were made in the context of a technical discussion (and when I say technical, I don't mean these weenie technical dives I make - I'm talking technical to an extreme). Or they are posted on a technical oriented website (WKPP). I've heard people say on these forums that unless you dive manifold doubles in a dry suit with a 7' hose on Trimix for a 20' warm water reef dive than you are not DIR. This is simply NOT true and NOBODY ever said that. And it's those who don't like the DIR folks that seem to want to define the word "stroke". Not only define it BUT use it more than anyone I've EVER associated with in the DIR community.

As for your wife - using true definitions: IF she dives in an INHERENTLY UNSAFE FASHION and KNOWS BETTER than she is a "stroke". Under THESE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES, if you dive with her, then yes, you are violating the tennants of DIR.

Now, is your wife diving in an inherently unsafe fashion even though she knows better?????????? Are you???????

BTW, YOU decide the definition of "unsafe". It is ultimately YOUR decision who you dive with based on YOUR beliefs and mindset -
Just as it is MY decision who I dive with. THIS is the nuts and bolts to "Rule #1". Everybody exercises "Rule #1" at some point.
Long before I ever heard of DIR, I had enough cognitive ability to recognize the makings of a chinese fire drill on a dive boat and make up a nice excuse to stay the hell out of the water.

I'm a stroke, and not a bit sorry about it. I consider safety, streamling, communication, and consistancy to be pretty important, but in several cases I just like my way better. As for not diving with others who don't share my philosophy, I consider it to be a good idea. If I think you're reckless, unable to act as part of my support system, or not fun, I don't want to be your buddy.

I'm sure DIR does what it intends, but it's unnecessarily obsessive for my needs.

Of course, if you take "stroke" to mean "someone unsafe to dive with" as opposed to "someone who uses a computer, seacure mouthpiece, and an extra D-ring (for example)", then I take it back... I'm not one of those. I consider myself a stroke for not adhering to DIR. I have a regular gear configuration, but will adapt it to conditions and objectives as necessary. I make a point of keeping my buddy appraised of all changes, and some things, such as backup regulator location, are not subject to change for safety reasons.

Sounds like you have the makings of a nice haiku there U.P. :chinese:

Nice one!

Lifelong learning quest sums it up for me too. I'm not DIR, but I don't think I'm 'DIW' either, and I'm always looking to learn and improve. I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking my way is the only good way.

I've certainly improved worlds since the days of diving with no wetsuit, and hoses, gauges, and knick-knacks trailing behind me.
God, those are some embarrassing photos. :blush:

I use a 75' hose routed in a non-DIR fashion...coiled around my neck. Although I look like an aboriginal tribesman, it is much easier to deploy since my buddy just pulls and I spin like a helicopter to the surface. The downside is that my neck has become so elongated that I cannot breathe on land without my gear on.

I use a 75' hose routed in a non-DIR fashion...coiled around my neck. Although I look like an aboriginal tribesman, it is much easier to deploy since my buddy just pulls and I spin like a helicopter to the surface. The downside is that my neck has become so elongated that I cannot breathe on land without my gear on.

Did this post even have a point?

- Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom