Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carry a fold up in the pocket of by bc. I often utilize it on shore dives

On recent dives in Playa de Carmen, the divemaster said to live snorkel on shore. But on the same dives, I saw someone with a snorkel strapped to their shin - nicely out of the way but there if they needed (they were in a divemaster class).

Florida shore diving Jelly fish season , Never leave the beach with-out one :shocked2:

I only wear one when I am teach recreational classes. When I am diving for fun or doing anything tech related, no snorkel.

I wear one when standards require me to--IOW, while teaching, but very rarely otherwise. I did have occasion, a couple of weeks ago, to spend a couple of hours snorkeling with manta rays in Komodo on our no-fly day, and I was very glad to have my snorkel with me for that experience.

I never "wear" one, but I almost always carry one to deploy only if needed.

I am mostly an ocean boat or shore diver. For ocean dives (including wrecks) I never wear it on my mask. I stow a foldable one with a "dry" top in a pocket, or strap it my harness. I do this in case of an emergency (ie separated from the boat at the end of the dive -- never happened so far). Even if I just have to wait a little while for pick-up, if it is choppy/rough I would much rather breathe through a "dry" snorkel than try to float on my back struggling not to inhale the water that is splashing on me. If the dive is in calm water, though, I won't deploy it because my usual preference it to float on my back so I can talk to my buddy.

Right now, I like the oceanic foldable "dry" snorkel because it has an oval tube that is much flatter than a standard round tube, and is therefore easy to just slide under your mask strap -- very simple to deploy. It also has a handy clip that allows quick attachment/detachment. I leave that clip on my mask strap in case I want a more solid attachment than just sliding it under the strap.

I do not use this snorkel for freediving. My needs are different for that (I want a larger bore, and don't need the "dry" top).

Like some others here, between tank dives I always have my mask, fins and the snorkel ready to go instantly in case dolphins, whales, sharks or other critters swim near the boat. I can jump in in about 10 seconds.

If I am shore diving and it is a long swim, I also use it to swim out/back on the surface, and detach it and stow it during the dive.

If sea conditions are good and I am not swimming to the dive site then "no". If the seas are kicking up and I might need snorkel at the surface I will at least have it on me. If I am snorkelling to a dive site or teaching a class then "yes".

I sometimes keep a foldable snorkel with me for the surface but depends on the conditions. Never wear it while under water.

It's been hanging off the side of my mask for almost 40 years. It doesn't get in the way and I'd feel nekkid without it.

I modified my BC to allow me carry a snorkel behind my left shoulder. A loose bungee loop holds it in place. It is out of the way and invisible, but can be easily reached and pulled free with my left hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom