attaching hoses, can I do this or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user:
why should the lds not charge you??its their time and liability..they will check the intermediate pressure at the time it is assembled..price should be $15. to $20
you don't buy brakes for your car and expect the mechanic install them for nothing do you??.

Errr, changing brakes in a car and attaching hoses: not quite the same.

Attaching hoses takes 2-3 minutes at best. Liability....whatever, if its either the owner himself doing the change or the LDS, it's not like the owner will get some certificate or anything.

Changing brakes on a car requires removal of all wheels, lifting, huge facility etc.

The LDS should instead show the owner how it is done, educate him about hoses, show him the hoses they sell, or better yet scuba tools for such jobs, or regulators, or extra add-ons and secure a new customer and potential buy. Perhaps educate him about equipment service classes the shop runs etc. Perfect opportunity to get future business. Think smart!

Charging 20 bucks for a 2 minute job....now that is a rip-off and you know it.

miketsp:
For a new diver who is not going to be doing any reg maintenance for some time, splashing out on Christolube seems to be a bit of an overkill and unless ordered on-line is hard to come by at the majority of LDSs.
A small pot/tube of generic silicone grease will serve just as well in the beginning and he won't be counting the dollars when using it for other generic uses like zipper lubrification or divelight seals.

MMMmmmm... ok. I'm in the same boat, but went for the christolube anyway. Different priorities I guess.

And NO, I wouldn't suggest christolube for zippers! :)

AlexMDiver:
Errr, changing brakes in a car and attaching hoses: not quite the same.

Attaching hoses takes 2-3 minutes at best. Liability....whatever, if its either the owner himself doing the change or the LDS, it's not like the owner will get some certificate or anything.

Changing brakes on a car requires removal of all wheels, lifting, huge facility etc.

The LDS should instead show the owner how it is done, educate him about hoses, show him the hoses they sell, or better yet scuba tools for such jobs, or regulators, or extra add-ons and secure a new customer and potential buy. Perhaps educate him about equipment service classes the shop runs etc. Perfect opportunity to get future business. Think smart!

Charging 20 bucks for a 2 minute job....now that is a rip-off and you know it.

I think it is very reasonable. it is not a rip off...it is time on the lds part and they will check for proper function..If $15.-$20. is too much for you go take up tennis or something else,not diving..if the customer chooses to buy add ons or purchase tools,classes etc.. then do it as a complementary thing,otherwise get paid for your time.. these are the same people who will not get service from you also..some people you can try to educate to your benefit and still will not purchase at your facility..

oly5050user:
I think it is very reasonable..it is time on the lds part and they will check for proper function..If $15.-$20. is too much for you go take up tennis or something else,not diving..

I work in a very busy dive shop and I would be embarrassed to ask for money to connect someone's hoses, or reassemble their doubles for them or whatever. If the customer wants to take care of you they will.....Why is everybody all about the damn money these days anyways? Loyalty to a shop is built by customer service, not by charging for every little thing you can.

$20 to connect someone's hoses, what a joke..... and as an instructor you should know better.....:shakehead

Safe diving,

Rich

I do a lot of automotive work, and use tubes of silicone grease that's sold relatively cheaply at auto parts stores. Ask for a tube if Di-electric Tune-up grease, they should have a couple sizes.

This stuff is very clean/high quality, comes in a metal tube with a handy pointed tip and works really well with all rubber/plastic seals/o-rings/zippers, etc. About $2 for about a 1/2 oz. tube, and maybe $5 for a 2-3 oz tube. The small tubes are great for your save-a-dive kit.

Hey Rich, nice seeing you again yesterday. Unfortunately, from what I can gather, most divers here have LDSs that have no idea of customer service. You guys have a great shop, and the customer loyalty is something that envied by all. You guys are the huge exception, not the norm.

Rich Courtney:
I work in a very busy dive shop and I would be embarrassed to ask for money to connect someone's hoses, or reassemble their doubles for them or whatever. If the customer wants to take care of you they will.....Why is everybody all about the damn money these days anyways? Loyalty to a shop is built by customer service, not by charging for every little thing you can.

$20 to connect someone's hoses, what a joke..... and as an instructor you should know better.....:shakehead

Safe diving,

Rich

waymarkee:
I do a lot of automotive work, and use tubes of silicone grease that's sold relatively cheaply at auto parts stores. Ask for a tube if Di-electric Tune-up grease, they should have a couple sizes.

You use any elevated levels of oxgen in your automotive work? I've spent a lot of time around my vehicles too, and have a few tubes of di-electric grease. But I wouldnt' think of putting that stuff on gear I breathe from. Great for battery termnials though.

If Christolube is too pricy, then maybe head down to the resturant supply and see if you can find some food-grade lubricant.

Rich Courtney:

Safe diving,

Rich

if they cannot do it themselves you should be compensated for it,they purchased equipment somewhere else and now they want you to service them for nothing??how long have you been in the industry doing something for nothing..? I have been in it as an instr./employee and owner since 1971 and when I see people who care and are loyal they get taken care of ,purchase elsewhere constantly and you will get the same service but we will have to be compensated for it..assemble doubles for nothing??how much time is spent doing that? are you an owner who has to pay an employee doing non-productive work?do you have to pay the insurance,phone,rent etc..keep on doing something for nothing on a customer who does not even patronize your store and see how long you can stay in business..

i am a major non-handy man ... and i can change hoses myself

if i can do it (trust me) anybody can

H2Andy:
i am a major non-handy man ... and i can change hoses myself

if i can do it (trust me) anybody can
its not rocket science..you should be able to do it yourself in this instance with no problem whatsoever..for the people who never held a tool in their hands and are lost about it take it to someone who can..and be prepared to pay something for it, as said here many times yes you can get equip. at lower cost online but service is at lds-usually..if you need this kind of help consider that before going online..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom