attaching hoses, can I do this or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user:
if they cannot do it themselves you should be compensated for it,they purchased equipment somewhere else and now they want you to service them for nothing??how long have you been in the industry doing something for nothing..? I have been in it as an instr./employee and owner since 1971 and when I see people who care and are loyal they get taken care of ,purchase elsewhere constantly and you will get the same service but we will have to be compensated for it..assemble doubles for nothing??how much time is spent doing that? are you an owner who has to pay an employee doing non-productive work?do you have to pay the insurance,phone,rent etc..keep on doing something for nothing on a customer who does not even patronize your store and see how long you can stay in business..

Hmm,

I've gotten a number of freebies at the store where Rich works. And I'd bet that Rich's boss doesn't mind. I suspect that like me, most people make a POINT to stop by his shop, get fills, abd buy things. I know I do, and I feel bad that I couldn't get by there yesterday when I was in town.

oly5050user:
I think it is very reasonable. it is not a rip off...it is time on the lds part and they will check for proper function..If $15.-$20. is too much for you go take up tennis or something else,not diving..

Do you by any chance work at the dive shop I got certified in? (just kidding!)

"Check for proper function" that's a good one...what was that place some guy was talking about on another thread where the LDS charged him a $50 "inspection fee" because he brought his own mask/fins/snorkle to his OW class? Another ridiculous shakedown, and the only reason I'm busting you on it is because of your statement "if $15-20 is too much go take up tennis" which I find kind of rude; no offense.

oly5050user:
I think it is very reasonable. it is not a rip off...it is time on the lds part and they will check for proper function..If $15.-$20. is too much for you go take up tennis or something else,not diving..

hahahaha!!

oh man, you're funny....

time on the lds part: less than a minute

check proper function: hook it up to a tank and open the tank (i can do that!)

take up tennis or something: so i can be ripped off by them checking out whether i tied my shoe laces right? that could be dangerous, you know...

:shakehead

if the LDS had any sense, it would do this as a free service for their valued
customer.

i mean, isn't taht why i'm supposed to buy from the LDS and not online, for all the "added value" i am going to get down the road?

:shakehead

miketsp:
You can do it yourself.
You normally need an Allen key to remove the plugs.
On all my regs the system is foolproof as HP and IP outlets have different thread sizes so you can't screw a hose into the wrong hole.
Make sure the oring is clean and in good condition.
I use a very light smear of silicone grease to help the oring seat well without damage.
Don't overtighten. Screw in with your fingers and then just a final nip with a correct sized spanner/wrench.
1st time in the water do a bubble/leak check.

Any reason I can't just do that in my bathtub?

StewartG:
Any reason I can't just do that in my bathtub?
No reason as far as I can see, it's best to check it in the bath, then if there is a problem you're not standing on the side of a lake grumbling 'cos you can't dive.

AJ Tudor:
No reason as far as I can see, it's best to check it in the bath, then if there is a problem you're not standing on the side of a lake grumbling 'cos you can't dive.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

(And it would be louder than just grumbling, by the way!!)

This has all been pretty much covered, but I think a summary is in order :)
AlexMDiver:
Charging 20 bucks for a 2 minute job....now that is a rip-off and you know it.
That's a bit steep, yes... but then I do have another related question. At what point does your time and acceptance of liability become worthless?
---
As an instructor, any time I do any maintenance to anyone else's gear (no matter how slight :) ), I've (1) used my professional skill and knowledge to do the maintenance and (2) committed the "maintenance act" and have accepted some level of liability. Should that be free? My insurance company isn't offering any "free coverage specials" today - is yours?
---
Now, as a matter of course, if someone who is in a paying class needs a little minor maintenance on gear I consider it an "included item" in the class. Even if it isn't a class I'll generally do it. But it is a gift from me, never without value and no one is right who says "it should be free," because it is not free to the LDS or the instructor whose time and liability you're using. TANSTAAFL applies.
---
Now, back to the "do it yourself" of hoses. It is not magic, but there are a couple of points that have some importance. Most of us are accustomed to working with steel. Most regulators are brass, and softer. Be gentle, be careful. Brass is not as tolerant of cross-threading or over-torquing as steel and you can easily damage the first stage if you do either. If you're going to use your regulator for oxygen or rich deco mix, don't use silicone grease anywhere on it or its hoses or o-rings, use an oxygen compatible lubricant like Christo-Lube or Krytox. In any event use the tiniest amount possible.
Do a leak check when you're done. You don't even need to have a bathtub handy; just spray some diluted liquid soap (I use 50% baby shampoo/50% water in a spray bottle) on the pressurized reg. Rinse it when you're done.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
This has all been pretty much covered, but I think a summary is in order :)
That's a bit steep, yes... but then I do have another related question. At what point does your time and acceptance of liability become worthless?
---
As an instructor, any time I do any maintenance to anyone else's gear (no matter how slight :) ), I've (1) used my professional skill and knowledge to do the maintenance and (2) committed the "maintenance act" and have accepted some level of liability. Should that be free? My insurance company isn't offering any "free coverage specials" today - is yours?

. . .

Do a leak check when you're done. You don't even need to have a bathtub handy; just spray some diluted liquid soap (I use 50% baby shampoo/50% water in a spray bottle) on the pressurized reg. Rinse it when you're done.
Rick

Very good point. Your issue about the charge being more for liability than for the time is very well taken (I'm an attorney in my "dry life.")

As far as your "no bathtub needed" comment goes, its a non issue. I take a bathtub with me EVERYWHERE I go. :eyebrow:

Sounds like if this is a hobby I'm going to get into more seriously, it might be worth it to buy a 2 oz syringe of that Crystolube. Does it have a limited shelf life? I don't mind spending $20 for it, but I think it would take me a few years (or more) to use it up.

One issue I haven't seen raised here is whether the OP is qualified to know if the reg/stages are tuned. I know that not ALL regs come ready-to-dive out of the box (pressures may be set too high/too low). By taking the reg to the LDS and having them set it up the first time the tech should also check to make sure it is properly tuned for the type of diving anticipated.

Rich Courtney:
I work in a very busy dive shop and I would be embarrassed to ask for money to connect someone's hoses, or reassemble their doubles for them or whatever. If the customer wants to take care of you they will.....Why is everybody all about the damn money these days anyways? Loyalty to a shop is built by customer service, not by charging for every little thing you can.

$20 to connect someone's hoses, what a joke..... and as an instructor you should know better.....:shakehead

Safe diving,

Rich

Absolutely agree (as I already said above).

oly5050user:
I think it is very reasonable. it is not a rip off...it is time on the lds part and they will check for proper function... if the customer chooses to buy add ons or purchase tools,classes etc.. then do it as a complementary thing,otherwise get paid for your time.. these are the same people who will not get service from you also..some people you can try to educate to your benefit and still will not purchase at your facility

Customers do not like the "you will get the hose switch for free IF you enroll in a equipment tech class". That just makes the LDS person come across as wanting to sell a class and bribing people to do so for a simple hose switch. Charging 20 bucks for this embarrassing. Checking for proper function....I am amazed.:11:
Instead show the customer or not-yet-customer how to change hoses and very carefully tell him about your equipment tech class, its flexible timing and all the other things the student could learn about awesome dive equipment. This concept is so simple I cannot believe it is so hard to understand.

oly5050user:
If $15.-$20 this is too much for you go take up tennis or something else,not diving..

Wow, thanks for that, mate. So if I go into your shop and ask for a hose switch you tell me it is 20 bucks. If I look at you funny and say "wow, that is a lot, are you sure it is worth that much" you will tell me "go take up tennis or something". Charming.
Let me tell you, screwing on hoses at two minutes a piece does not deserve 20 bucks, function test or not (that would take 4.5 minutes).
How do you justify 20 bucks for something that nearly everyone on this thread said can be done in 2 minutes by the owner himself.

If you are interested in running a good business, try this:
A person entering your store is always king, whether he has bought yet or not. Treat them like this and they will be happy to come back and feel like a king and eventually pay you for it. Throwing in an occaisional freebe that takes you 2 minutes is ALWAYS worth you effort and will pay out with interest. A big reason people buy at LDS is because they like the personal interaction with like-minded divers. Personal skills are required for a successful dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom