Aussie Diving Dec 27th to 2nd Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video Earl .... I have done looking glass 4 times and never seen sharks inside.

I noticed you had someone on the dive that wanted a Jacuzzi .... LOTS of bubbles :D

Hmm.... camera shake? I was too busy watching the subjects. To tell you the truth I usually like pictures without strobes. I like pictures that show what it is really like down there, what it looks like to our eyes. I love the colour and clarity the extra light can give and enjoy the results of those truly talented people who can put it all together. I think there is a good case for strobe shots and strobe free shots.

Poor fish.... sure glad I had my favourite backup dive buddy so I got to dive:D

Viz wasn't very good and there was a bit of surge but I totally enjoyed the dive.

posting a shot to show the viz

I find the Eastern spiny Gurnards fascinating... they look so different when the flare their fins.

The male Big Belly Seahorse has a REALLY BIG BELLY... wonder how soon before we start looking for tiny little seahorses?

I've never seen one of these starfish so small before!

Attachments

• DSC07544 (Large).JPG
    DSC07544 (Large).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07551 (Large).JPG
    DSC07551 (Large).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC07553 (Large).JPG
    DSC07553 (Large).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC07555 (Large).JPG
    DSC07555 (Large).JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC07565 (Large).JPG
    DSC07565 (Large).JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC07576 (Large).JPG
    DSC07576 (Large).JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC07578 (Large).JPG
    DSC07578 (Large).JPG
    172 KB · Views: 41
I noticed you had someone on the dive that wanted a Jacuzzi .... LOTS of bubbles :D

More than just one person, the first dive was a bit of a cluster@#$%, too many people, some of them a bit too new to diving, under me, on top of me, sticking fins in my face, blowing bubble in my shots :)

I was lucky to have a buddy with more experience than me, nice guy from Sydney, so on the second dive we jumped in early and had the place to ourselves for about 10 minutes, much more relaxing! Then we peeled off and went along the wall, found a swim through, a nice eagle ray, and that's about when my buddy looked up from his console and just about headbutted a wandering shark!

Don't ya hate it when that happens? We are so lucky to have a good group of dive friends. We often arrange to go away together. That means we pretty much outnumber the rest so most often get to determine the dives or are given good dive briefs and allowed to split off from the rest to do our own thing. Everyone has 300 or more dives up so that helps.

Being part of a Diving Couple is especially good but if one of us doesn't want to dive... usually someone in the group does so we are right anyway!

Don't ya hate it when that happens? We are so lucky to have a good group of dive friends. We often arrange to go away together. That means we pretty much outnumber the rest so most often get to determine the dives or are given good dive briefs and allowed to split off from the rest to do our own thing. Everyone has 300 or more dives up so that helps.

Being part of a Diving Couple is especially good but if one of us doesn't want to dive... usually someone in the group does so we are right anyway!

Yea your group setup is great petunia! Locally I only have two buddies I am totally comfortable to dive with and only one likes boat dives so I can only go on boat dives when he is available. Though today me + chilled ended up with a third diver as a buddy on our boat dive and it went really well for once! I knew his wife through dive-oz so had a pretty good idea of his experience (which was a lot) so things went smoothly :) We were on a drift dive and viz was not bad.

Then we did a night shore dive at Flinders and was ok. We got a bit spooked by a large seal that would show up out of the blue (or "dark" is probably a better term :wink:) and scare us :rofl3: Saw dozens and dozens of weedies, including many with eggs. Can't believe how many live at this pier. Anyway it is interesting but the temperature is slightly colder at this pier so the weedies are just getting eggs. Around the other side of the bay they have had them for a bit or have had the babies by now. It is warmer so maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure but thought it was interesting to see the difference. Saw a few octopuses too :) Chilled will send me pictures soon hopefully! I took my case out for a test spin and no leaks so can't wait til my own camera shows up :bounce: :bounce3:

I've started a new thread but want to respond to you in this one.

I have given Denis a package for you. He will be in Melbourne Monday. I showed him the setup I use with my camera but also took some pics last night while I was setting it up. You may want to do it different but this gives you an idea to try. I will email the pics.

Thanks again petunia :) My camera has not arrived yet :( But I figure things are still busy from Christmas so hopefully early next week.

I have not heard from Denis recently, is he hoping for a dive this week? We were planning to go out midweek for a night dive so it would work out well if he is around in town and wants to go for a dive :)

here are some of the pics of the last two dives...I think I have it worked out!! Sharks and all

The other half:
townsvillecairns096.jpg

townsvillecairns005.jpg

townsvillecairns013.jpg

townsvillecairns025.jpg

townsvillecairns045.jpg

townsvillecairns063.jpg

townsvillecairns075.jpg

townsvillecairns115.jpg

townsvillecairns112.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again petunia :) My camera has not arrived yet :( But I figure things are still busy from Christmas so hopefully early next week.

I have not heard from Denis recently, is he hoping for a dive this week? We were planning to go out midweek for a night dive so it would work out well if he is around in town and wants to go for a dive :)

As far as I know he isn't going to bring his dive gear this week but is planning on diving the next two weeks while he is there. The holiday season sure messes everything up and keeps us all so busy and distracted.

Stormysea nice shots. I love the clown fish, lots of diversity and action in your shots.. good job. You might want to repost them in the current weekly diving thread so people can enjoy them there. They might get missed here. Thanks for sharing:blinking:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom