Aussie Diving Jan 2 to 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Eastern Blue Devil is still there. Got some backscatter in the shots but shots of these guys are such a premium I will post them anywayView attachment 53629

Attachments

• DSC05098 (Large).JPG
    DSC05098 (Large).JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC05101 (Large).JPG
    DSC05101 (Large).JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC05099 (Large).JPG
    DSC05099 (Large).JPG
    129 KB · Views: 66
Here's something we seldom see. This tiny fellow blended in so well and didn't want to show us his pretty colours. You can see the hints of colour on this Blue Ring Octopus.

Attachments

• DSC05111 (Large).JPG
    DSC05111 (Large).JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC05113 (Large).JPG
    DSC05113 (Large).JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05114 (Large).JPG
    DSC05114 (Large).JPG
    149 KB · Views: 81
on a scale, i'll give todays dive a 4 as i was really disappointed :depressed: when we decended hubby took off like a bat outta hell (VERY unusual of him) to get to a particular spot and once there, i found zip, nadda, nothing :depressed:, then we went around in circles a few times and i still found nothing more interesting than a couple of nudies so i was pretty disappointed by todays non critter count. so after 75min dive we headed back with nothing much to report.... i wanna dive with Petunia & Fishy!!!

on the plus side... Sas the blue groper appeared about 2mins into the dive and was very persistant and even got a bit psssd off at us for not feeding it and was last seen spitting a mouthful of sand over hubbys head (which i kinda agreed with at that point :lotsalove: )

but i also got groped by a different blue groper, when Petunia's and her group were heading out as we were heading back i got a new year underwater hug :eyebrow:

tomorrow we're going to try bare island again so fingers crossed

edit: hubby asks if you saw your seahorses today

Yep All four were there. I have proof too. The male is very pregnant and has to be close to giving birth. :blinking:

Fish says just sent hubby off with Angus or someone and we will take you and show you the stuff!:rofl3:

Attachments

• DSC05083 (Large).JPG
    DSC05083 (Large).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05084 (Large).JPG
    DSC05084 (Large).JPG
    110 KB · Views: 50
Here are the other three. The white one seemed whiter today. I didn't really go looking for the little one that is isolated from the rest.

Attachments

• DSC05074 (Large).JPG
    DSC05074 (Large).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05086 (Large).JPG
    DSC05086 (Large).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05090 (Large).JPG
    DSC05090 (Large).JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05092 (Large).JPG
    DSC05092 (Large).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 55
heheheeh - nice #1 pic...just me and the ocean... we were going to hang around after our dive but figured it would be at least another 40mins before you guys come out

hope to catch you tomorrow..... we will be meeting another diver (carol) there tomorrow about 8am im told so there will be time to chat (and go over the BI map on where i shoul be going!)

How much longer til the seahorse gives birth do you think petunia? Will the baby seahorses hang around afterwards? I saw pictures of one giving birth recently, the babies were *adorable*! Also, I was looking at your blue-ring picture a bit more, do you know what is the scientific name of it (Hapalochlaena fasciata?)? It looks a little different to the ones I have seen so I am wondering if it is a different type. The ones local to me are Hapalochlaena maculosa.

Haha I love hearing the stories of Sas :rofl3: There isn't really a substitute in Melbourne for a character like that fish :) Though under a pier there is an octopus that has been labelled 'The Kraken' by some friends as it attacked one guy and stole his camera. Me and Paul found The Kraken's hidey hole the other day but I was too scared to look too closely in case it jumped out and went 'Alien-face hugger' style at me.

I am out diving tomorrow, have to get in a few before my holidays end! I am not looking forward to going back to work and not being able to dive heaps :depressed:

well if you want to see the good stuff at bare island you have to dive with Petunia & Fishy!!

today almity1, carol and myself joined Petunia & Fishy for a BI special and saw about 6 seahorses and the blue devil fish plus my first port jackson with an egg in its mouth PLUS a TURTLE! gotta love a turtle :D

vis was ok to icky but that didnt matter and a nice 20c degs so thank you for a very successful dive :wave:

Thanks AW:D glad to help...:eyebrow:but you are still sworn to secrecy:rofl3::rofl3: we only introduce some of our friends to some of our friends :rofl3::rofl3:
Didn't Almity1 and Petunia play well together? We shared shots very nicely didn't we:blinking: I'll show you mine if you show me yours:blinking: Almity1 I am dying to see what you got of the EBD!
I have noticed the pregnant seahorse is much paler in colour than before.....

Attachments

• DSC05140 (Large).JPG
    DSC05140 (Large).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05143 (Large).JPG
    DSC05143 (Large).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05149 (Large).JPG
    DSC05149 (Large).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05185 (Large).JPG
    DSC05185 (Large).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05186 (Large).JPG
    DSC05186 (Large).JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
Got another two dives in yesterday in Lighthouse Bay. The surge from New Year's Day had gone but their was still a heap of crap floating around. I was using the Tokina 10-17 again, which was a bad choice for the conditions (I should have used my 100 macro as there nudibranchs everywhere, my wife Mary had a great time with her 100 macro). Here's some of my favourites:

447756028_QaBdm-M-1.jpg

448174010_GXkpN-M.jpg

448157026_9uasL-M.jpg

448157042_qiFfC-M.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom