Aussie Diving July 1-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yay another ancient strobeless camera user :) Really like the pics sproket :) I love the fish in the shell in particular and the bottom one. What type of fish are they?

I get battery problems in the cold too, wasn't sure how common it was. I find I have to leave my camera off most of the time in cold water. It often goes flat, then I leave it off for a few minutes and it is ok again. Annoying!

After a really big swell came up on Friday afternoon and put paid to any thoughts of diving outside Exmouth Gulf we got out for one 90 minute dive on Bundegi Reef inside Exmouth Gulf today. Weather conditions were almost perfect after initially getting up this morning and being greeted by intermittent light rain and a perfect rainbow. We had light winds, clear sky, slightly chilly (for around here :) ) water at 21.5°C and 15 to 20 metres visiblity. I was set up for super macro today with my 100 macro on a 1.4X teleconverter and my Woody's dioptre. Here's some of favourite shots from the dive:

GUDGE....THOSE MACRO PICS ARE ABSOLUTELY SUPERB...IF YOU ARE POSTING ANY MORE PICS USING YOUR 10-17MM LENS (thats the only lens i have) IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE YOUR SETTINGS AS WELL .....IF YOU THINK OF IT.....I,M INTERESTED IN HOW OTHERS ARE SETTING UP THEIR CAMERA'S WITH THE 10-17 IN VIS SIMILAR THE THE GBR...CHEERS ROB

...IF YOU ARE POSTING ANY MORE PICS USING YOUR 10-17MM LENS (thats the only lens i have) IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE YOUR SETTINGS AS WELL .....IF YOU THINK OF IT.....I,M INTERESTED IN HOW OTHERS ARE SETTING UP THEIR CAMERA'S WITH THE 10-17 IN VIS SIMILAR THE THE GBR...CHEERS ROB
That's easy, just go to my Smugmug Gallery , and when you see a picture you're interested in just let the cursor hover over it for a few seconds. When the pop-up menu appears click on "i" and all the camera settings for the shot will appear.

Gudge you are a gem! Great shots and so helpful and willing to share your knowledge!

I haven't been able to get in the water for TWO WEEKS :crying: I got so desperate I decided to play with some old shots just for fun.... How is this for something different? Anglerfish
DSC07179-2.jpg

Red Indian fish
DSC05753ps-1.jpg

Occy under glass
DSC07000ps-1.jpg

Golden Crested Weedfish with lunch in his mouth
DSC01185c-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been able to get in the water for TWO WEEKS :crying: I got so desperate I decided to play with some old shots just for fun.... How is this for something different? Anglerfish

..great pics of interesting fish that i've never spotted down under or even when i went to png..where did you find these??

..great pics of interesting fish that i've never spotted down under or even when i went to png..where did you find these??

Thanks.. the pics were all taken with at our favourite local dive site. Bare Island (La Perouse) Botany Bay Sydney. While none of the creatures are exactly common, they are not what I would consider rare for this site. The trick is to go slow and look carefully. It doesn't do any harm to dive the site enough to get a reputation with other regulars so you can share info on sightings with others who are careful of the critters. :rofl3:"I will show you mine if you show me yours":rofl3:

These are from the same site but very tiny.. I included a pic of one in front of my finger for size. The pic with the shadow has 3 individuals in it. The star fish with the two posing in front of it is about 2 inches or 50 mils across the armtip to armtip

BTW not much chance of getting anyone to show them to you... they are very tiny, delicate and while not extremely rare quite hard to find. I made the error of showing one site to the wrong person and the next weekend the sponge it was in was destroyed and the creatures were gone! Those of us who know were they are tend to be very protective of them.

Attachments

• DSC06610 (Large).JPG
    DSC06610 (Large).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC08790 (Large).JPG
    DSC08790 (Large).JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05497 (Large).jpg
    DSC05497 (Large).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 49
Great shots petunia :) nice to see some cool results from photoshop! (You've joined the dark side I see :eyebrow:)

I am still yet to see an anglerfish, on my "to find" list :)

I got out for a night dive last night. 110mins in 10C but against all odds I didn't get very cold. We did have a vigorous short surface swim half way through the dive though to get back to the jetty (below us was just sand so we saved air and headed back to explore the jetty at this site after exploring other areas). The viz was quite good (I thought 6m and my buddy thought 8m) and conditions were calm as! One of the highlights of this dive was the incredible phosphorescence! Never seen anything like it (usually there is a bit but not much). We turned off our lights and made awesome light shows underwater :) I spent a lot of the last part of the dive with my torch off just swimming around to watch it fly around! Unfortunately bit hard to pick this up via camera :depressed:

Ok here are some pictures
Snapper - finally got one to stay still for a photo :)
3726271653_69ccc68eaf.jpg

Swimming squid
3726277049_8c5da16cfb.jpg

Tiny tiny seahorse - saw heaps of these last night
3727082118_bbd9734c3b.jpg

HMVS Cerberus - a submarine wreck scuttled at Black Rock
3727081220_1fab02c17f.jpg

An odd find... We found two recycling bins near the Cerberus...
3727078858_72bba85571.jpg

One of them was full of starfish :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom