Australia trip - some advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickjb

Contributor
Reaction score
My partner and I are heading to Australia from England for 10 weeks, lucky us. We are flying to Sydney in mid November then driving to Brisbane (and possibly a bit beyond) then flying to Melbourne for xmas, then flying to Perth and probably driving up to Exmouth in Jan (Not sure about this bit yet, any advice on how to spend 3 weeks in WA?). My partner needs to get her open water along the way; we were thinking of using prodive Nelson Bay for that (Are they OK? good place to learn?).

Any top tips on good dive sites along the way, and good operators? Ideally suited for a novice diver, lots of fish, sharks, wrecks, etc. Some good snorkeling would be nice too. I know it's not the ideal time of year so any help on where is good at this time would be nice.

This isn't just a diving trip so any tips on other things to see and do would be appreciated

Thanks

Sydeny to Brisbane has some great diving. Port Stevens/Nelsons Bay, Southwest Rocks as mentioned already, Coffs harbour, in particular Dive Quest at Mullaway has the best access to the Northern Solitary Islands which is some of my favourite diving. Jetty dive is another Coffs Harbour shop. Byron Bay is another magical spot also.

http://Mullaway/
http://Byron Bay/

Here is an unbiased summary of the NSW coast by a local diver. There is alot of info on this site

http://NSW coast summary

I dove the reef out of Townsville, in Queensland. It's way north of Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I chartered a liveaboard from Mike Ball's diving operation. I really had a great time. If you have flexibility, and you are going to visit the country, you really shouldn't miss the GBR.

Funny, my brother-in law did just the opposite (in a way) as you guys. He lived in Melborne (Carlton) for years, now he moved to London. Not a diver though..........

Have a great trip, with whatever you do.

Safe diving to you.

My very first dive vacation trip was to Byron Bay -- I had about 40 dives at the time, and was quite the novice. I had an absolute ball, and it still ranks as one of the best places we have gone in the five years I've been diving. We had a lovely bed and breakfast that caters to divers. The bay is gorgeous, and the town offers shops and restaurants for everyone from college students to wealthy sophisticates. The diving was fantastic, with some of the largest schools of fish I've ever seen, as well as sharks, turtles, rays, nudibranchs, gorgeous sponges and ascidians and crinoids . . . If you are in the area, I'd say it's a must stop. We dove with Sundiver, and they ran a good operation, although I have to admit that the 45 minute limit on dives would chafe me, these days.

January is going to be the middle of summer in Perth, I would head down south for a bit cooler weather unless you cope well with extreme heat.

Tootle around the south west where you can stay on beautiful beaches and in lovely small towns. Great wine country too with beautiful forrests.

Back
Top Bottom