Back in action!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought some Scubapro full foot snorkelling fins, those vintage looking black rubber fins that have been around for years. I'm going to do fin laps at my local community pool two or three days a week.

Bill in SFO, I was also told that anabolic steroids can be a cause for worn out hips. It was determined by my physician that it wasn't a factor in my case because my limited use was too insignificant. I tried them one time and decided I didn't want any part of that lifestyle, or the fraud.

I just bought some Scubapro full foot snorkelling fins, those vintage looking black rubber fins that have been around for years. I'm going to do fin laps at my local community pool two or three days a week.

Bill in SFO, I was also told that anabolic steroids can be a cause for worn out hips. It was determined by my physician that it wasn't a factor in my case because my limited use was too insignificant. I tried them one time and decided I didn't want any part of that lifestyle, or the fraud.

Good decision, I would say.

- Bill

QUESTION for Eric and other hip patients:

As you know, after the surgery we are not supposed to cross the legs, bend more than 90 degrees at the hip, or go pigeon-toed.

How do you deal with these restrictions while getting back into diving? Bending at the hips not a typical diving motion, but crossing one's legs to put on a fin is.

My doc was pretty wary of me putting on fins, he said that with fins the leg could twist into a pigeon-toed position more easily. I have yet to put them on (2 1/2 mos post-op).

Of course ultimately it's a matter of time until the capsule (whatever THAT is) is fully healed. I find myself slowly accommodating to a full range of motion - very slowly, as I am in developing country and I sure don't want to have a dislocation here!

Just curious what your experience is.

- Bill

Ok, to describe the capsule: it's a very tough sleeve made out of tough stringy tendon like tissue that connects the two sides of a joint and keeps the joint together (along with all the surrounding muscles). It also holds in the lubricating fluid for the joint.
To replace a joint they have to cut through this capsule to get to the joint, and once the parts are changed they carefully sew up the capsule the way it was. It takes the average person about a full three months for the capsule to heal to be able to hold the joint together well enough to begin to push the limits on the 90 degree angle and pigeon toed leg/cross over. The 90 degree restriction is the first to come off but the pigeon toed leg cross over never really comes off. That is the most vulnerable position for the joint and the small size of the new ball just doesn't allow for it. But hey, it's better that unbearable pain 24/7!!
They cut the capsule in the back so their main concern is that if you bend too far with the ball aimed right at the incision area of the capsule the ball could slip out and poke right through the fresh cut. One thing that changes when you get a posterior surgery is that you can never really bend to the outside or over your leg to put shoes and socks on (or dive booties). The new safe way to do it is to always reach inside of your leg with your legs spread apart, almost like the position of sitting indian style. With the anterior approach this doesn't apply because they cut the capsule in the front so there are fewer restrictions but there are a few and they are opposite from the posterior approach.
You can do a figure 4 to put on a fin and not break any restrictions.
Worry About where your thigh is in relation to your torso instead of where your foot is. You can get to your foot without breaking any restrictions.

Last edited:
Great response, Eric, thank you!

I would only add one or two things: after my hip was replaced in 1994, after some time, like a year or two maybe, I had nearly full range of motion and I never worried about crossing my legs, like to put my fins on, nor did I worry about bending over at the waist. Maybe that was a mistake, but it was never a problem.

They say that recovering from a hip revision is harder than recovering from the original replacement, and I guess my experience is that is so. Perhaps it is because I am 22 years older!

I was so surprised at how small the hip ball that they took out of me is -- just maybe about 1" diameter! I thought it would be about twice or thrice that. Any idea if one's original hip ball is the same size?

Thanks, this conversation has been very helpful.

- Bill

What do you gentlemen recommend that we should or shouldn't do now so that we won't need hip replacement in the future please?

I firmly believe exercise is the root of all evil. Unfortunately not exercising is even worse. :(

I firmly believe exercise is the root of all evil. Unfortunately not exercising is even worse. :(

I think snorkeling and swimming with fins on in the sea is best IMO it seems.

Hey hip patients, the other day we went to the gym (a place I have not been in several months ) and we used elliptical trainers -- I felt that this really helped my hip, much more so than stationery kicks, and gave me great aerobic exercise to boot.

YMMV.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom