Backup SPG for console AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a wireless AI computer and believe it is a good idea to have a backup analog gauge for a number of reasons. With a hosed AI computer, most people do not use a backup.

bob, how are you going to check the button gauge when it's behind your head?

TBone... You are not.

With todays reliable computers, malfunctions are the except NOT the rule. Many folks don't want the extra hose and gauge added to the Computer they paid good money for.

In reality most folks are Not Continually Staring at "any type pressure gauge", computer or otherwise they use. When someone glances at a gauge, AI in-line or transmitter type computer or whatever and see it had failed they would USUALLY signal their dive buddy and call the dive.

Question Becomes, "So exactly how long has it been since they last looked and knew for sure how much air they had ????"

They can signal their buddy to look at the little gauge and let them know what's there.

At that point they can decide do we make a Safety Stop using the buddies Depth Gauage/ Watch or Dive Computer OR do we move directly to the surface to prevent an OOA.

Yes this means dive buddies really do "Pre-Dive Checks" so each other understands the other's gear setup.

Yes, this does mean dive buddies actually Stay Near Each Other.

Yes, this does make NDL diving a Smart Choice unless you are trained and equipped otherwise.

So are you diving with 2 hp hoses - 1 for the AI console and 1 for the SPG?

Yes, but the one on the SPG is a third generation Miflex, and not very noticeable. And because it's a backup (though I do check it on dives), it doesn't have to be front and center, so I snap it to a right hip D-ring.

All my post-cert dives have been with a Suunto Cobra, another type of HP hose mounted AI computer. For various reasons, I've gotten myself a wrist-mounted backup PDC (a Suunto Stinger), but I've never considered a backup SPG. If the Cobra fails, my dive is over and I approach my buddy to give him the single finger. While ascending, I have my backup PDC for monitoring my ascent speed and my SS depth & time.

Bob, I'm actually yielding on my previous statement. Current opinion on AI's according to me. Take it or leave it.

If you have a wired AI that has a QD, I would recommend putting a button gauge on the second HP port if you have one. This allows you to check if the tank is full or not without connecting the computer and then you can connect it after predive checks.

If you have wired AI without QD, then just run it as is.

If you have wireless AI you have three options. Run a backup SPG, can be a real cheap 250psi one, or a nice brass and glass 100psi one, and that way if the transmitter gets interrupted you don't have to abort. If you don't want to do that, then use a J-valve and dive until it cuts you off then ascent. Third is just plan to abort the dive if your transmitter kicks out. If you are of the not run a backup SPG group, then I would recommend a small button gauge on the first stage if you have a second HP port, if anything to be able to check tank pressure before or while the computer is pairing. They are cheap, and are a good reference for "it's full, or ruh roh, should have bought a tank pressure gauge...."

Back
Top Bottom