Bahamas liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Crazy14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what bahamas liveaboard they like? Anywhere in the bahamas is fine. I'm trying to plan a trip sometime this summer and need some input! Thanks.

the cheapest you will find is Blackbeards, on a week long trip you should get in 18 dives if you dive everytime they do.

steve

maybe up to 1000$ is my budget. It doesnt have to be luxury but i dont want to a boat that will sink and what not.

Most of the midrange boats will be about the same cost as as a similar length stay at a beachfront hotel and meals, less the diving. I'd estimate $250 dollars a day including crew tip for a non-camping (i.e. NOT Blackbeards or bare boat) charter.

For that $ on a diving liveaboard cruise you should get 3 main meals a day, 4 or 5 "snacks" that are almost full meals in themselves, and 4 or more dives a day.

When I charter the whole boat on the Eagle we dive 3 or 4 times the first and last day, depending on the custom agent's schedules, and up to 7 times on all non travel days.

A typical diving schedule day should be.
1. Wake up at or slightly after first light.
2. Fall off the boat/dawn patrol.
3. Early rolls and coffee snack.
4. Fall off the boat.
5. Hot breakfast during first boat movement.
6. Fall off the boat.
7. Brunch & boat movement.
8. Fall off the boat.
9. Lunch & boat movement.
10. Fall off the boat.
11. Nap &/or snack & boat movement
12. Fall off the boat.
13. Clean up a bit and dinner while the crew sets up the evening mooring.
14. Fall off the boat sunset dive at the mooring.
15. Snacks.
16. Fall off the boat for a night dive at the mooring.

Note that generally items 16, 2 and 4 are mutually exclusive as the crew will often not be able to pump your tanks. A couple members of the crew would prefer to sleep sometime and their bunks may be in the same compartment as the compressor. Of course you can always "borrow" a late sleeper's full bottle for the dawn patrol if prearranged. Having a diver come up to go dive and unexpectedly find their empty BC tends to annoy them.

If you work the crew this hard expect to drop a 15 to 20% tip on them at the end of the trip. Plan for it up front and bring it along IN CASH. If the service is not this good the percentage of the tip actually delivered to them goes down too.

This is the diver's trip I EXPECT! Most divers will do 5 dives/day. Some of us are gluttons for punishment though and push the shallower "at mooring" dives. 6 to 8 hours per day underwater is easily doable on this schedule

On a luxury boat like the Nekton expect day rates to at least double, and diving opportunities to drop a bit.

FT

Reel Crazy14:
maybe up to 1000$ is my budget. It doesnt have to be luxury but i dont want to a boat that will sink and what not.

Then you definatly want to go on Blackbeard. $819 for a week + $55 port tax + crew trip ( lets say $120 ) puts you at $994. Couple tanks of gas and food to drive down to Miami and some fun money while your in Bimini will put you around $1100. Do some searches on Blackbeards, its exactly what you describe, not luxury, but very nice and safe. I've been 3 times myself as have many others.

Ive seen blackbeards is a sailboat. Do they take longer to get to the sites? Do they sail at night so you arrive in the morning? Other than that, whats your experience with blackbeards? Thanks for the advice!

Yes, it's a sailboat. In the summer months however they rarely if ever actually use the sails. And their boats tend to stay within a fairly small area, so transit time is not a problem. There is little need to motor long distances when fine diving can be had within miles of one another. Much of the Caribbean is like this.

Notwithstanding the cramped conditions, the only real downside to these boats is that they roll quite a bit. A catamaran hull would be an improvement, but not very "pirate-like." Maybe they could attach outriggers...

Reel Crazy14:
Ive seen blackbeards is a sailboat. Do they take longer to get to the sites? Do they sail at night so you arrive in the morning? Other than that, whats your experience with blackbeards? Thanks for the advice!

The boats are really heavy and rarely sail except for amusement of the crew and guests. They do about 8 knots when motoring and about 12 knots with a good wind. I wouldn't worry about it. Over the course of a week with alot of motoring between dives and sometimes overnight the captain will cover a lot of territory. Other nights they will find a nice protected cove and anchor.

My experience is they are what they say they are. You take heated salt water showers with 30 seconds of fresh water rinse. You are feed meals ranging from good to great depending on who your cook is. Snacks are served between dives and always available in the galley. Divers are really social with a common interest so the cramped quarters are really no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom