Bahamas liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anybody heard of the Isla Mia? My LDS is going on that boat in August. I tried to find a website but couldnt find it.

We did the Nekton's Cay Sal Bank route last Fall. They treat you like gold on the Nekton, although I must say the boat is a bit run down. I would dive with them again anyway. There is lots of food-yes you will gain weight! I thought Bahamas diving was just ok compared with other Caribbean destinations, but if you want to dive the Bahamas, I simply cannot say enough about the Nekton crew. I doubt it gets any better then them!

I just returned from a weeklong trip with Blackbeard's and it was the best experience of my life. I am, however a camper and had no problems with close accomodations. The diving was excellent and the food was just as good. There was not a single minute during the week that I was hungry. We got to do a total of 16 dives, including 2 wall dives, 3 wreck dives (if you count the Sapona:)), 3 night dives, and a shark feeding dive. Overall, during the trip I saw about 30 carribbean reef sharks, 5 nurse sharks, 3 sea turtles (including a monster that was about 4' in diameter), a hawksbill turtle, and hundreds of barracuda, rays, and about 100 species of colorful reef fish. We were also lucky enough to spot a 9-10' hammerhead at tuna alley and about 4 moray eels. Luckily, our trip was during the spearfishing season, so we got to spend an afternoon spearfishing for lobster and hogfish. The crew was great, also! I will be booking another cruise with them as soon as I can save up the money! They are hightly recommended.

well, i got reservations for the july 10th trip on blackbeard's. It's a little more economical. i just dont know if i can wait that long!

Reel Crazy14:
well, i got reservations for the july 10th trip on blackbeard's.

i'm sure you will like it and have a great time. be sure and carry a cushion to sit on while on deck. if you have anymore questions between now and the time you go just ask and i'm sure they will get answered.

steve

Two years ago my husband and I went on a Nekton cruise in the Bahamas and absolutely loved it. I wouldn't exactly call it luxury, but the diving was excellent, you never has to move your gear from your "station" after setting up your initial tank for the week(which was refilled every time you came up) there were at least 5 dives a day, decent and ample food with hot cookies after the morning dive, excelent and fun crew, slide shows and a photo contest , educational stuff, videos libraries, a library.(Not that there was really any time for the libraries if you were diving all the time.) One of the reasons we chose Nekton (the biggest reason actually) was that it was a very stable boat and hardly ever moved(rocked). In fact the only time I can recall feeling any rocking was during the Gulf Stream crossing at night.All rooms were private altho small,with their own bathrooms and showers.Fresh hot water showers on deck with warm towels for after dives. Cost was about $1500 but they will often run specials. Other divers on the Nekton who had been on Blackbeards cruises described them as as "scuba camping". For the $ we thot the Nekton was a great deal and would recommend it to anyone who loves to dive but has a tendency toward motion sickness.

chrpai:
The boats are really heavy and rarely sail except for amusement of the crew and guests. They do about 8 knots when motoring and about 12 knots with a good wind. I wouldn't worry about it. Over the course of a week with alot of motoring between dives and sometimes overnight the captain will cover a lot of territory. Other nights they will find a nice protected cove and anchor.

My experience is they are what they say they are. You take heated salt water showers with 30 seconds of fresh water rinse. You are feed meals ranging from good to great depending on who your cook is. Snacks are served between dives and always available in the galley. Divers are really social with a common interest so the cramped quarters are really no big deal.

Well said chrpai...
I echo that, as I have 3 "cruises with them and am lining up a 4th (with the whole family this time). My fav is Capt. Paul and his boat, Pirates Lady. If you do book with them and go on his boat, tell him I said hi and best wishes with his new bride.

Back
Top Bottom