BARE Dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a black ring on your suit, thats added hence sending suit away, then there is a big black ring on the glove. There is also a wrist seal on inside the glove, similar to what you have on the suit now, in case the glove gets a hole, it won't flood your suit. The 2 black rings get pushed together over your wrist and its like a pressed fit seal. My local divemaster is sending his suit out to be done, I will let you know how he likes it

Yep same things as SI-tech. Word of advice...DO NOT push the glove and ring all the way into the ring that is on the suit. They are a total pain to get off when you do this. Push the o-ring on about 1/4" past the edge of the ring and leave it. When you twist the knurled piece to remove them they will come off a lot easier. My first time diving with these was about my last. After working with them a bit I can get them off pretty easy. On is still a bit of a challenge but nothing too bad, just takes time.
The instructions tell you to not use anything other than water or spit to lube the seal. It sounds crazy but that is all I have ever done and it does make a difference.

Pretty easy. As mentioned above there is a ring the fits inside the seal of the suit. It then has the outer ring to fit over it. This is the knurled part of the system that you see. The glove has the same thing but not knurled, but with an o-ring. Then you simply push the glove assembly into the suit assembly. When you want the glove off, just spin the knurled part.

Drygloves are like drysuits - even the best ones only work well most of the time. Carry spare gloves and liners. You'll use them. Whatever you do, remember to keep your wrist seals intact lest you end up with wet armpits.

The quick-ring systems are easier to put on and take off, unless you're a ham-handed beast like myself. They don't clamp to your wrist, they attach to a ring installed on the cuff of your drysuit. The trade-off is that, no matter how careful you are, sooner or later you're going to have a problem with the seal leaking. The old-style Viking rings are harder to use but if you put them on right, they stay on right and won't leak.

Gloves are a balancing act between vulnerability to tearing/punctures on the one hand and fit/function on the other, if you'll excuse the pun. I got tired of pinhole leaks and have settled in on heavier gloves but they don't fit as well and are harder to use. YRMV. Lined gloves are a mistake - they can't be repaired and end up driving your TCO much higher. Stick to separate gloves and liners and you'll end up spending less and have more flexible thermal control. I'm a fan of the polypro liners available from camping supply outfits but others seem happy with wool or even cotton.

When your new rings come in, have them installed by somebody who knows what they're doing. Its all too easy to rip your wrist seals installing them and then you'll have a new problem to deal with. Once you've seen it done you should be able to do it yourself but under normal conditions the only time they get fiddled with is when you're changing seals.

Reefraff,

I'm surprised, that was an informative post.

Crpntr--thanks for the explanation. Makes a little more sense, but this is just gonna be something im gonna have to see. :)

Does anyone know of a dive shop that has the BARE Dry Glove system in stock? I want to use it by this weekend....I will be calling the shops in the Chicago area first thing on Wednesday.

:chicken:

Hmmm. This has been an interesting thread.

I just placed my drysuit order with my lds yesterday for a Bare Trilam HD Tech. Can't wait.

I'd been planning on ordering the Diving Concepts snap-on dryglove system. Now, after reading this thread, I'm inclined to, instead, order the Bare dryglove system so the drysuit will come with the cuff rings for the drygloves already installed.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience comparing the Diving Concepts system and the Bare system?

Jepuskar, did you go and take a look at the Bare system yet?

I got the quick clamp system yesterday...it is starting to make sense. The gloves and glove side clamp will be here next week. I also ordered different kinds of gloves to test them out with the system.

I'll have a 1000 word report on the system by next weekend sometime.

Back
Top Bottom