Bare XCD2 Tech Dry or Trimlam HD Tech Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just interested in peoples opinions of these suits - particularly those who own them and dive them regularly.

My current membrane suit needs a new zip and new seals, so have decided to splash out on a new suit instead and keep the old one as a spare once I get around to repairing it.

I've narrowed down my choice of new suit to these two - for reasons of price, quality and expediency.

I've only ever dived membrane, but the slight stretch on the compressed neoprene has a certain appeal. Most of my diving is either teaching, or deep/wreck dives in the 35-50m range - so reaching valves is a major issue.

I've done a few dives in a friend's Trilam, but am wondering if there is an compelling reason to go for the slightly-unknown hyper compressed neoprene instead.

Having learned cold water diving in New Jersey, my choice was the one endorsed by most wreck divers. I own the XCD2 Tech Dry and I have been very satisfied with it. Mind you, my experience is based only in that suit and a couple of DUI suits I tested before.

The XCD2 is built like a tank and does not puncture or tear easily. Hence, its high rate of approval amongst the wreck divers of New Jersey. Keep in mind that the suit is heavy and takes awhile to dry, but I am ok with that. If those aspects are not of importance to you, I think the XCD2 would be a great choice, specially if you plan on doing a lot more wreck diving.

If you can test dive it before purchasing, go for it!

Happy and safe diving.

Greetings from Indiana, USA AndyNZ. I have been diving my Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry since January 1st. I can say that I have been very pleased in every way. The weight of the suit wet or dry is a great plus. It also drys very quickly. My friend has the crushed neoprene suit it is a little warmer and a lot heavier wet. I am sure either suit would be great. I have not had any issues reaching valves, I never thought I could enjoy diving dry as much as diving wet. Instead of waiting for spring this year we were diving! I also use the Thinsulate CT 200 under garment and booties. The best advice I could give you is to spend enough time to get the proper fit and you will be very pleased. If you have any more specific questions just PM me and I will try to answer asap. Have a great day and good luck. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thanks, guys. I've dived the HD Tech Dry - and am very happy with it. I like the idea of a little bit more warmth, stretch and robustness with hypercompressed neoprene, but no chance to try before I buy so just feeling about the risk of the unknown....

Thanks, guys. I've dived the HD Tech Dry - and am very happy with it. I like the idea of a little bit more warmth, stretch and robustness with hypercompressed neoprene, but no chance to try before I buy so just feeling about the risk of the unknown....

Like CamG mentioned, as long as the suit fits properly, you will be very happy. Have a great time and happy and safe diving.

I have them both – bought the XCD2 first – one for me and one for my son. Then I bought the Trilam for me. After diving them both regularly – I give a VERY slight advantage to the Trilam.

I really like the stretch/comfort of the XCD2, and it is warmer than the Trilam given equivalent undies – but the Trilam dries faster and packs a bit lighter and smaller. I also think it looks a bit cooler.

In the end I can’t bring myself to sell the XCD2 since I know that in the dead of winter – I’ll be glad to have the extra warmth – but the Trilam is my primary suit.

For what its worth – my son loves the XCD2 and can’t understand why I like the Trilam.

Awesome, thanks - it's great that you've dived both. I think that I'll stick to the membrane, as the cool factor is important!! Our winters aren't that cold, and I guess it's just easier for me to stick with what I know and have tried.

Saying that, it's another two weeks before the NZ importer gets back from a trip to Truk... so that's two more weeks for me to ponder and pontificate!!

I have the XCD2 tech and my dad has the Trialam HD Tech, and if I had to do it again, I'd go with the trilam. The trilam is built like a tank, dries faster, and weighs less. Not saying the xcd2 isn't a great suit, I love it, but if I did it again, I'd go with the trilam.

And make sure to get the bellows pockets installed too.

I have the XCD2 tech and I love it. It was very easy to learn with as I bought it as a new drysuit diver. I have had it in some cold water here in the midwest and in Huron. I also have the CT200 undergarment. This suit is very durable, although it is a little heavy when wet. Fortunately as CamG knows I have suspenders to hold it up!! It does take a while to dry, but overall I couldn't be happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom