Basic first for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the gekko also. My LDS rents them(however I never seem to pay for my rentals:confused4:) and they are great. I ended up buying a Vyper 2 becuse I wanted to be able to download it and I got a great deal on it. I use it wrist mounted and run a simple SPG just because I prefer it. The Vyper 2 is the first computer I've owned and I love the fact that almost all my info besides my air is on my wrist. Really it comes down to money and personal preferance.

Have fun and dive safe.

I picked up my Suunto Gekko last year at my LDS on a sale, $250. Nitrox capable, it's a great little computer. I went wrist mount, which I liked better than a consol mount. It can be turned into a downloadable model with a very minor mod.

I just bought a Gekko and am waiting for it to arrive... 2 Questions:

1)Where can i get the Suunto software to downlaod the data into & cable (I assume it doesn't come with either since it isn't offically a downloadable unit
2) where can I get the mod software??​

I just bought a Gekko ...: 1)Where can i get the Suunto software to downlaod the data into & cable (I assume it doesn't come with either since it isn't offically a downloadable unit
Suunto Dive Manager (SDM) is available on-line (v 2.6) at the Suunto website. But, the Gekko does not have a PC interface, so I am not sure I undersatnd the question about the cable and downloading the data.

Suunto Dive Manager (SDM) is available on-line (v 2.6) at the Suunto website. But, the Gekko does not have a PC interface, so I am not sure I undersatnd the question about the cable and downloading the data.

Evidently it has a port for a cable so dive shops can reset it between rentals (see the portion taken from the Gekko manual below)

4.1.3. PC Settings Mode
[3 PC SET]
Although the Gekko does not support PC-download,
the tissue calculations can be reset and all settings
returned to factory defaults using a PC-Interface cable
and special software. This feature is useful for dive
shops and their rental units only. The software is not
available to the general public.

From what I've found on the Web, SDM can be tricked into thinking the Gekko is a Vyper somehow (I have to assume this is the "very minor mod" CFDAlden is refering to ....

The Aeris XR-1 (in a wrist boot, not a console) was my first computer....

It was a fantastic computer (expecially for the price! I bought mine for $144), but it does have a few drawbacks. It does not have audible alarms (the screen flashes when it wants to alert you of something) and it does not have a backlight. The lack of an audible alarm wasn't too much of a bother, as I had the computer in constant view during ascent and was able to see it flash if I ascended too quickly. The lack of a backlight was a bit annoying, though, as I needed to purchase a small flashlight in order to read it during dives at dusk or dawn, or deeper quarry dives. Otherwise, it was easy to read, and easy to program...I was pretty happy with it.

You'll limit your choices a lot buying air only, most computers are Nitrox capable now and they're not that much more expensive. I wouldn't buy an air only computer unless you're getting a used one really cheap - 'cuz when you want to sell it to buy a Nitrox computer that's what you'll be selling it for. Even if right now you don't think you ever will do Nitrox, good chance you will change your mind at some point and you'll regret it.

I have been using an Aeris Pro long enough for it to be an antique. I am happy with it. Sometimes I have to push the button multiple times to get it to function. I just see that as an annoyance type problem. Other than that it performs well. I noticed a couple of features on a dive buddies computer that my old Aeris Pro does not have. The feature is "water activated". If I do not switch mine on before taking the plunge, it does not work. It will not switch on underwater. The other feature I personally like about his computer is that it shows you how much psi you will have when you get back to the surface. In other words, if you end your dive now, it calculates what your psi will be at the end of the dive. Just a few observations as food for thought.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

My LDS mentioned that SP is running a promo, where if I buy an SP reg and an Air2 BC, I get a wrist mount Aladin Prime free. I am a relatively new diver, so is this the kind of comp I want to be starting with?

My LDS mentioned that SP is running a promo, where if I buy an SP reg and an Air2 BC, I get a wrist mount Aladin Prime free. I am a relatively new diver, so is this the kind of comp I want to be starting with?
You don't want an Air2. Just spend the couple hudnred bucks a computer will cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom