BC off and on underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really a "doff and don" situation, but I saw a diver-probably just to see if he could do it-
undo both shoulder straps, hold onto the BC by the cummerbund/waist belt, and rotate the BC around his waist so that he effectively had it on "backwards" (facing the tank).
He reached around the tank, adjusted the tank band, then reversed the process.

I doubt that this maneuver is recommended in the textbooks. :)

Reactions: Jax
Whenever I'm diving with a buddy with a weight integrated system they seem to load them up before asking me to help them put on their rig. Also, in my dark imagination I can imagine needing to ditch my rig -- I don't want to be 20# positive on my emergency ascent.

It would have to be extraordinary circumstances to get me to take my rig off underwater. In fact, they are so extraordinary that I'd probably be leaving it on the bottom. So, I'd likely grab a weight pocket so I'm not super buoyant and make a break for it.

The other scenarios - loose tank, stuck in a net or line, that's what a buddy is for.

The text book move is to settle on the bottom with your left knee on the deck and your right foot on the deck. Remove the BC from the left to the right, with the tank coming to rest on the top of your right knee. Keep it close to your body and make sure you have a grip. It takes practice, I did it for my openwater class in a 7mm full as well as doing it for my DM demonstration skills in board shorts and rash guard and was successful both time. Biggest thing is to try and keep the weight close so it doesnt throw your balance off.

And I am not going to weigh in on the weight topic.

I wish it was no issue mate -Its winter here so we are in 7mm suits with thermal vests hoods n gloves and even then the first step in the water makes ya ol fella shrivel.--What that means is we are pretty boyant. :)
I'm assuming you're still holding onto your BC (and breathing off your tank), which would mean you and your rig together are still neutral mid-water, regardless of how much rubber you're wearing... unless, of course, your weighting hasn't been dialed in...

I'm assuming you're still holding onto your BC (and breathing off your tank), which would mean you and your rig together are still neutral mid-water, regardless of how much rubber you're wearing... unless, of course, your weighting hasn't been dialed in...

If you're 20# positive and your rig is 20# negative, you're neutral wearing it but you're not gonna easily hold that in one hand.

Now yasee it sounds so darn simple when ya say it like that :) but when hanging onto the rig with your hands and keeping reg in gob the body in 7mm you find the body wants to head to the surface feet first whilst the rig wants to head downwards. Well heck anyhoo thats what we experienced. probably not helped by the 6 foot vis offering no visual references mid water.
But heck thats why we are practicing this stuff so you are right and it becomes easy for us

This brings up a good point for me, I dive in a 7mm farmer john with all the weight in my harness pockets. If I became separated I would be screwed... Damn, I need to think about about some non-ditchable weight.

Now yasee it sounds so darn simple when ya say it like that :) but when hanging onto the rig with your hands and keeping reg in gob the body in 7mm you find the body wants to head to the surface feet first whilst the rig wants to head downwards. Well heck anyhoo thats what we experienced. probably not helped by the 6 foot vis offering no visual references mid water.
But heck thats why we are practicing this stuff so you are right and it becomes easy for us
I find I have to use ankle weights in 7mm if I am less than 10m. My trim is perfect below that depth, but the suit is a pain above it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom