BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl:
I'm a new diver - doing some research on BC's. I learned to dive with a jacket BCD, but I've heard of "wings and plates." Can someone please educate me on the difference, other than the fact that one is primarily just on your back? Can you wear double tanks with a jacket BC? Several of my friends wear the OMS BC with bands, but I haven't gotten a chance to question them about it. Thanks for your advice!
You'll find some serious proponents of the backplate/wing as the "only way" here.
Here's my perspective...
I own two backplates, three wings, a "tech harness" (Dive-Rite Transpac II), three jacket style BCs, and one old hardpack. I use them all. It depends on the dive and what I intend to accomplish as to which rig I will use, but basically:
For heavy doubles I use a BP/wing
For lightweight doubles I use either a BP/wing or the Transpac/wing
For heavy singles I use the Transpac or a Pro QD jacket.
For the tropics I use a Seaquest Explorer jacket.
I, personally, absolutely despise a BP/wing for single tanks.
Most (if not all) of the world's top underwater photographers use jackets.
Most of the world's top technical divers use the BP/wing.
My opinion is that ideally you should choose the best tool for the job - the "one size fits all" solution is less than optimum for all sizes save one.
If I were to recommend one BC for someone who intended to "cover the waterfront" with their diving, I would recommend a Transpac as the best trade-off between the advantages of the BP/wing and the jacket.
Rick

ooh, thanks! <insert homer with doughnuts noise> piiinnkkk...

Rick Murchison:
Most (if not all) of the world's top underwater photographers use jackets.
Rick
Rick:

Why? Is it a coincidence or is there a reason that photographers make this choice?

Cheers,
Bill.

DiveGolfSki:
Nicely explained herman. One benefit of a BP/Wing is the modularity of the system which leads to more flexibility and yields addtional benefits like:
1. Switching wings for more lift when using singles or doubles is easier on a BP/Wing (for those times that you need more lift).
2. If you are traveling in warm waters, you can have a smaller wing to save on space in your luggage.
3. If the bladder punctures, a back inflate requires replacement of the entire.
4. Attachment of deco bottles is "easier" on a BP/Wing (all relative).
5. Finally, you're not limited to anyone manufacturer in configuring your rig and can mix and match everything (e.g., change the webbing to pink??).

Not sure about other manufactures but you can do all of this with the Zeagles as well with the exception of mixing manuf. And you can get any part on them in any color you like. The flexability claim gets way over blown. Fact is, at the cost of different wings and backplates (AL vs steel) you can just as easily and cheaply buy 2 different BC's. I don't hate the BP , they do certain jobs very well, but after diving one I just am not that impressed.

BabyDuck:
ooh, thanks! <insert homer with doughnuts noise> piiinnkkk...

Now combine that with a red OMS wing and you'll really look cool :05:

As a former Zeagle owner and current BP/W owner, I will say that I am very impressed with my new system and don't find the flexibility claim overblown at all. I have yet to see any other system transition between double and single tanks, canister lights, backup lights, weighting options, stage/deco bottle carrying, and streamlining, nearly as well. But this topic gets beaten to death every week. Those who like their BP/W will not be swayed, and those who prefer jackets will likely not be swayed. The vast majority of BP/W users have used jackets, but I would not say the reverse is true.

Both systems are effective in the vast majority of cases, especially in single tank use, and a good diver can make either one work exceptionally well. So there it is.

herman:
Not sure about other manufactures but you can do all of this with the Zeagles as well with the exception of mixing manuf. And you can get any part on them in any color you like. The flexability claim gets way over blown. Fact is, at the cost of different wings and backplates (AL vs steel) you can just as easily and cheaply buy 2 different BC's. I don't hate the BP , they do certain jobs very well, but after diving one I just am not that impressed.

I realy like my bp/w set up. sice im 6'6 no realy jacket style bcd realy fit me. there all to short. + my goal is to be a tech diver(getting closer to, taking my test the 23 for dry/nitrox wish me luck) with the back plate i thought it would be realy uncomfortable but its not. i dont even feel the bp. with all my gear on. + if on thing breaks i can switch it out with out haveing to trash the entire thing

Lightning Fish:
Why? Is it a coincidence or is there a reason that photographers make this choice?
While the rear-inflate BC, which includes the BP/wing, provides good longitudinal stability - that is it tends to return you to the desired horizontal position when displaced - most pro photographers want neutral stability around all axes. That is, they don't want to be returned to that horizontal position when displaced, but rather want to be able to assume any position (say head down, 45 degrees right), stop breathing and moving and stay there for the few seconds to get that perfect shot. Jackets are easier for this as there is more area to keep the "bubble up" - that is more flexibility in placing the center of lift over the center of gravity.
BP/wings have better static stability than jackets.
Jackets have better neutral stability than BP/wings.
Depends on what you want; the mission at hand.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
While the rear-inflate BC, which includes the BP/wing, provides good longitudinal stability - that is it tends to return you to the desired horizontal position when displaced - most pro photographers want neutral stability around all axes. That is, they don't want to be returned to that horizontal position when displaced, but rather want to be able to assume any position (say head down, 45 degrees right), stop breathing and moving and stay there for the few seconds to get that perfect shot. Jackets are easier for this as there is more area to keep the "bubble up" - that is more flexibility in placing the center of lift over the center of gravity.
BP/wings have better static stability than jackets.
Jackets have better neutral stability than BP/wings.
Depends on what you want; the mission at hand.
Rick

Thanks Rick.

Bill.

Back
Top Bottom