BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki:
Argghhhh! :banghead: I knew I'd be called on this. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8204238786&category=71211

http://www.strapworks.com/nyloncolors.html

The 2" webbing may be tough to find but can't help you with the bungees.

a bit off topic, but- I just ordered some "Pacific Blue" heavyweight polypro webbing from strapworks.com and like it, except that it's just a bit too thin. The triglides won't keep it in place as it slides right through. Really nice colors and prices however. I also ordered some lightweight 2" polypro webbing and it's perfect for a crotch strap - now if they'd just offer some that was about 50% thicker than the heavyweight it would be perfect I think...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
a bit off topic, but- I just ordered some "Pacific Blue" heavyweight polypro webbing from strapworks.com and like it, except that it's just a bit too thin. The triglides won't keep it in place as it slides right through. Really nice colors and prices however. I also ordered some lightweight 2" polypro webbing and it's perfect for a crotch strap - now if they'd just offer some that was about 50% thicker than the heavyweight it would be perfect I think...

Aloha, Tim

Tim, you probably already know about Reef Scuba, but they do have very nice webbing...perfect for harnesses...in black, blue, red, and yellow.

http://www.reefscuba.com/ropewebbing.htm

Yup.. Reef Scuba has great webbing. The best part about it is that it isn't quite 2" wide.. it's more like 1 7/8" so it's much easier to thread through buckles and such.

I've ordered bungee from Reef Scuba, just not webbing yet - some places only sell webbing that is as stiff as plywood, others make is more like fabric... both have their place, but I wanted something inbetween :) and at 25 cents/ft I wanted to see what the strapworks variety was like ... just imagine camo webbing :D

btw - jonnythan I like your new avatar, no more "demon eyes" but you're a little late for talk like a pirate day :wink:

jonnythan:
Yup.. Reef Scuba has great webbing. The best part about it is that it isn't quite 2" wide.. it's more like 1 7/8" so it's much easier to thread through buckles and such.

It's not 2" it's 50mm.... Like so much these days it is made off shore, and the rest of the world is metric. I agree however that lacing the 50mm is easier in many cases.

Tobin

BabyDuck:
ooh, thanks! piiinnkkk...
Hot pink webbing. You don't know how tempted I am to thread some of this onto my BP for my upcoming DIRF class next month! :D

Wouldn't wearing neon colors help out? Since the general idea for dir is that your buddy knows where everything is on your equipment and vice versa....neon colors would help make a harnes more visible. It really easy to find people underwater when they wear yellow and green....but since red light is difused in around 30 feet of water wouldn't hot pink disappear?

Back to the overall question...I like a back inflate style bc over a jacket style. The air in the bladder tends not to be felt in comparison to a jacket style. Do a barrel roll underwater and blow air rings for fun. As for bp/w versus a manufactured back inflate, I have used a back inflate before and i've used a bp/w before. I can see how each has their positives. i'm 6'5 280 lbs not a small guy by any definition. I feel that the bp&w is more exact fitting than a manufactured one. However in my experience carrying the gear on your back while hiking to the dive site is more comfortable in a manufactured (backpack feel) back inflate. I don't use a dry suit so the location of the inflator valve could be better in a bp&w set up where you can adjust the straps easily.

This is my opinion. So far it seems cheaper for a bp&w set up than it is for a manufactured back inflate.

I will if you will . . . :)

offroaddiver:
Wouldn't wearing neon colors help out? Since the general idea for dir is that your buddy knows where everything is on your equipment and vice versa....neon colors would help make a harnes more visible. It really easy to find people underwater when they wear yellow and green....but since red light is difused in around 30 feet of water wouldn't hot pink disappear?
Assuming this is serious, well.. no. Your buddy doesn't need to see where your gear is since he already knows.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom