BCD and weak left hand :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameshalluk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All :),
I am new to diving.
I wanted to do OW but I have a problem with the weak fingers on my left hand.
I can't operate the power inflator with my left hand, using the left thumb.
So I find it difficult to inflate the BCD (standard jacket type).
Deflating is not a problem.

if you Have come across this issue before how did you manage to overcome this?
Thank you so much in advance.
James

Consider an Aqualung BCD with the I3 inflation system. It's a small lever mounted low on the left side that you push/pull to deflate/inflate. It also works the dump valves simultaneously on deflate. The i3 Control System - Aqua Lung US

It might be the easiest solution since they mount the I3 low on the left side pocket. Available on the Axiom I3 (jacket) or the Dimension I3 (back-inflate) Since it is non-standard you will want to demo it to any potential instabuddies - not only is there no standard hose inflator but the manual inflator hose is also retracted into a small pocket when not in use.ftr, I'm not an I3 fan - IMO it overcomplicates a simple device that has been used for decades. But in your case it makes sense.
Just know that all service/parts on the system is proprietary and thru an AL dealer only.

Some BCD models with a top right shoulder dump allow you to move the entire inflator assy. to that side - the mount is the same so you just unscrew both and change them.

Some of the Zeagle line does that - It appears that the Halo, the Resort (jackets) or the Zeagle Ranger LTD (back inflate) all do.Check with a dealer to be sure I'm correct also. One difference between the Halo/Ranger VS the Resort is that the Ripcord weight system requires one pull from either hand to jettison both weight pockets. And is mounted left center so can be pulled by either hand. The Resort requires you to unclip/pull both weight pockets separately.

There's a thread here from a few years ago from a disabled veteran who had no use of his left hand/arm and Zeagle was able to set him up on the right side at the factory thru his local dealer. Zeagle BCs

Other brands probably offer something similar - it's likely many BCDs with a top right dump could be similarly modified.

Last edited:
Deep Sea Supply uses a center mounted inflation port on their wings so you can run the inflator from either the left or right side. Only adjustment is rotating the inflator 180* which can be done when you order the rig. Still has a dump on the left side, so if you can't pull the string it may be worth a call to Tobin to see if he can put the dump on the right. I believe he's done that for customers before

You can also work the inflator with the right hand. I've had to learn to do that when I've got my left hand occupied. But this might actually be a good use of an equipment solution.

I am new to diving.

James

Can you grasp and squeeze the entire inflator? This should be possible with either hand, and will depress the add button on the inflators we furnish with our wings, and which are common on many brands of wings. Some BC's use a variety of inflators that might not lend themselves to the "Squeeze the whole thing approach"

BTW, what exactly are you using for an inflator? Any pics?

Tobin

I am new to diving.

James

jameshalluk,

My former long-time dive buddy was born with essentially no fingers on her left hand. A series of surgeries (including bone graphs) when she was very young left her, eventually, with a small nub where her thumb would have been.

She became a very good diver. She successfully passed a very tough NAUI/YMCA Open Water II university course (ca. 1985) and then became a NAUI-certified dive master a bit thereafter, which included becoming certified as a NAUI rescue diver. I met her a couple of years after her Open Water II certification when, as a doctoral student, I took the same course. She was one of my TA's for the course.

She wore a full 1/4" farmer Jane with hood and mitts (for local MO and AR diving), and a Scubapro "Classic" Stabilizing Jacket (SSJ). She used a Scubapro power inflator initially, and then a Scubapro Air II combination power inflator later on. No problem whatsoever. She figured out a way to make everything work. Long distance surface swimming without gear? No problem. Regulator and/or mask recovery? No problem. Weight belt removal and replace? No problem? Gear ditch and don? No problem. Disconnect inflator? No problem. Buddy breathing? No problem. Diver recovery and swimming to shore while rescue breathing? No problem.

She used her left hand to place her inflator in her right hand, and inflated/deflated/disconnected using her right hand.

One important thing: Our scuba coach stressed solid fundamentals, so all of us divers dove properly weighted, which means with very little air in our BC's (since we were wearing steel 72's) and almost no inflating/deflating our BC's once we were at depth.

EDIT: Also, she wore a rubber weight belt that had a wire "pelican beak" buckle--which worked well with the limited use of her left hand, for removing and replacing her weight belt.

FWIW.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I just realized that I wrote much of this here a few (10?) years ago. So there is another thread here that addresses this same question.

Last edited:
I also have a weaker left hand and find some inflators much more difficult to use than others. I found my original Genesis inflator very easy to use and fit in my hand very easily. I think the Sherwood inflator is similar. OTOH, I find Scubapro and Halcyon inflators very difficult to use and don't fit well in my hand. I use my right hand quite often, which is apparently not a good habit. Is it possible to try other inflators to see if another type works better for you?

Can you train the grip strength actively? I know there are situations where it may not be sufficient or possible, but in almost every case training can help. You can get grip trainers from guitar stores, or use a stress ball.

Thank you so much diversteve! for such a useful and a detailed answer, I will explore all the options you highlighted. It will probably be a good idea for me to invest in a BCD since I am hoping to dive regularly :) one drawback is having to carry the BCD with me when I travel but I guess it is a small sacrifice :)
Thank you so much again!

Consider an Aqualung BCD with the I3 inflation system. It's a small lever mounted low on the left side that you push/pull to deflate/inflate. It also works the dump valves simultaneously on deflate. The i3 Control System - Aqua Lung US

It might be the easiest solution since they mount the I3 low on the left side pocket. Available on the Axiom I3 (jacket) or the Dimension I3 (back-inflate) Since it is non-standard you will want to demo it to any potential instabuddies - not only is there no standard hose inflator but the manual inflator hose is also retracted into a small pocket when not in use.ftr, I'm not an I3 fan - IMO it overcomplicates a simple device that has been used for decades. But in your case it makes sense.
Just know that all service/parts on the system is proprietary and thru an AL dealer only.

Some BCD models with a top right shoulder dump allow you to move the entire inflator assy. to that side - the mount is the same so you just unscrew both and change them.

Some of the Zeagle line does that - It appears that the Halo, the Resort (jackets) or the Zeagle Ranger LTD (back inflate) all do.Check with a dealer to be sure I'm correct also. One difference between the Halo/Ranger VS the Resort is that the Ripcord weight system requires one pull from either hand to jettison both weight pockets. And is mounted left center so can be pulled by either hand. The Resort requires you to unclip/pull both weight pockets separately.

There's a thread here from a few years ago from a disabled veteran who had no use of his left hand/arm and Zeagle was able to set him up on the right side at the factory thru his local dealer. Zeagle BCs

Other brands probably offer something similar - it's likely many BCDs with a top right dump could be similarly modified.

You can also work the inflator with the right hand. I've had to learn to do that when I've got my left hand occupied. But this might actually be a good use of an equipment solution.

Thank you so much for the advice KevinNM :), I am very grateful!
Is it really possible to have the inflator on the left but use it with the right hand? I can do that physically but I was told that I will not be allowed to do that in OW because in case if I ever get stuck in a current or if I have to do regulator recovery, and also because I will have to hold the line from the boat using the right hand. So the only solution is to use my left :(

Back
Top Bottom