BCD and weak left hand :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it really possible to have the inflator on the left but use it with the right hand? I can do that physically but I was told that I will not be allowed to do that in OW because in case if I ever get stuck in a current or if I have to do regulator recovery, and also because I will have to hold the line from the boat using the right hand. So the only solution is to use my left :(
I don't know who told you that, but there is no PADI training standard that says you must run the inflator with your left hand. If it was your instructor who told you that, find a new instructor. Really.

Please note you rarely touch the inflator during a dive.....a bit at the beginning to deflate and descend, occasionally during the dive as you change depth a large amount or use up the gas in your tank, and at the end to exhaust gas so you don't pop to the surface. You do not dive with it in your hand.

If your BCD has a dump valve on the right shoulder, move the inflator to the right shoulder.

It also sounds like you should be taking your training from a Handicapped SCUBA Association International (HSA) certified instructor. The central point is that the end result is the desired result, how you get there is not really important. If you can inflate/deflate manually and with power inflator your BCD what does it matter how you got it done, left hand, right hand. As for the anchor line, hook your right arm around it and use your hand to work the deflator, inflator on your BCD.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply tursiops :),
My "instructor" told me that he will not let me pass OW dive (the first one), but he was happy with my performance during the confined dive in the pool and all the skills. I've never had this issue of anyone objecting to using the right hand to inflate BCD, during the DSD dives I've done before.

Also it's really interesting to note that he told me that I will be using the inflator during the surfacing (after the dive) :( so kind of like a polaris ascent :(

I don't know who told you that, but there is no PADI training standard that says you must run the inflator with your left hand. If it was your instructor who told you that, find a new instructor. Really.

Please note you rarely touch the inflator during a dive.....a bit at the beginning to deflate and descend, occasionally during the dive as you change depth a large amount or use up the gas in your tank, and at the end to exhaust gas so you don't pop to the surface. You do not dive with it in your hand.

Thank you so much for the great advice pasley :),
I will look for an HSA certified instructor but will probably not find one here in Asia :(
Had some great and very enjoyable DSD dives in Maldives, Philippines, Gili islands, etc but I will look for an HSA instructor

If your BCD has a dump valve on the right shoulder, move the inflator to the right shoulder.

It also sounds like you should be taking your training from a Handicapped SCUBA Association International (HSA) certified instructor. The central point is that the end result is the desired result, how you get there is not really important. If you can inflate/deflate manually and with power inflator your BCD what does it matter how you got it done, left hand, right hand. As for the anchor line, hook your right arm around it and use your hand to work the deflator, inflator on your BCD.

Also it's really interesting to note that he told me that I will be using the inflator during the surfacing (after the dive) :( so kind of like a polaris ascent :(
You WILL use the inflator at the end of dive, to exhaust air during the ascent, and then AT the surface you will inflate for buoyancy. You say you can do the former with your left hand, and using the right hand for the latter is no issue.

I suggest discussing with your instructor in more detail what his concerns are, and if he insists you must use your left hand then call PADI and tell them his name and number and let them talk to him.

Thank you so much for the great advice pasley :),
I will look for an HSA certified instructor but will probably not find one here in Asia :(
Had some great and very enjoyable DSD dives in Maldives, Philippines, Gili islands, etc but I will look for an HSA instructor

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm going to be a lot of help, but when doing my OW, my instructor told me that his most challenging time was teaching a student who was missing one arm. He had to think hard about how to set up and modify all the gear, as well as adapt his teaching, so that his student could still safely learn diving (Although as far as I know, he was not an HSA instructor.). At that time, everything related to scuba was new to me, so it was too much for me remember everything he said on this subject, in addition to all the new things we learn for our OW, so I won't be able to give you any advice here. But what I wanted to say is that you should be able to find instructors ready to accomodate you, even in Asia (I passed my OW in Philippines).

Hi tursiops, Thank you so much for this reply as well.
I did have a lengthy discussion with the instructor, and then with the other instructor who was more approachable.
and then both of them called the owner of the dive shop, who is the senior instructor and then all collectively and individually decided that I could not continue :( :(

If you don't mind me saying so, your idea about calling PADI is a very good idea, so that finally I can clarify this issue. because these instructor really convinced me that it is a critical safety issue and that I really could not continue because they did not have a acqualunk i3 system :(

You WILL use the inflator at the end of dive, to exhaust air during the ascent, and then AT the surface you will inflate for buoyancy. You say you can do the former with your left hand, and using the right hand for the latter is no issue.

I suggest discussing with your instructor in more detail what his concerns are, and if he insists you must use your left hand then call PADI and tell them his name and number and let them talk to him.

Hi tursiops, Thank you so much for this reply as well.
I did have a lengthy discussion with the instructor, and then with the other instructor who was more approachable.
and then both of them called the owner of the dive shop, who is the senior instructor and then all collectively and individually decided that I could not continue :( :(

If you don't mind me saying so, your idea about calling PADI is a very good idea, so that finally I can clarify this issue. because these instructor really convinced me that it is a critical safety issue and that I really could not continue because they did not have a acqualunk i3 system :(
Let me guess: they sell AquaLung equipment. Tell PADI that, too.

HI MelasLithos :), THank you so much! is is actually very useful :)

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm going to be a lot of help, but when doing my OW, my instructor told me that his most challenging time was teaching a student who was missing one arm. He had to think hard about how to set up and modify all the gear, as well as adapt his teaching, so that his student could still safely learn diving (Although as far as I know, he was not an HSA instructor.). At that time, everything related to scuba was new to me, so it was too much for me remember everything he said on this subject, in addition to all the new things we learn for our OW, so I won't be able to give you any advice here. But what I wanted to say is that you should be able to find instructors ready to accomodate you, even in Asia (I passed my OW in Philippines).

This is absurd. Even GUE, which has very clearly laid out ways you should do just about everything, doesn't give a damn what hand you work the inflator, and I was told at one point to stop trying to work it with my left hand (with a light) and just use my right.

I'd get your money back and find someone competent.

Back
Top Bottom