Beauchat VX10 Evolution (1999) + VS Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

New diver here. Friend has a VX10 Evolution regulator + VS Octopus safe 2nd, along with all the hoses/octo, SPG, and a Beauchat BC vest that was rental grade.

$200 and it's mine.

Thoughts?

Upsides that I see:

* Bought from a rental shop in a close-out, so the BC was quite durable. All in good shape. He used it personally and loved it, but is way into diving and has upgraded to some pretty premium gear

* Full refurbish on the gear was done about 35 dives ago/a few years ago (when he upgraded). Also a very trusted source for the gear and he was a fan

* Great, great reviews on the VX10 Evolution and it's quality, it was a tec divers favorite and even rated for the US Navy. It's balanced, breathes easy at depth, reliable, people who've used it love it, rated to 38 degree water temp and I'm here in the PNW. It's also allowed by GUE if I want to progress to that sort of training.

* $200 for the full setup seems like a pretty great deal, but I know there's a lot of options when I look online for used gear etc.

Downsides that I see:

* $200 seems like a great deal but it's also not a TOTAL steal - I could find a similar used setup for perhaps $400?

* I know dive gear holds up well, but a 17 year old gear setup seems old?

* Beuchat service and parts are notoriously hard to find - but I think I may have some hook ups for this to get spare parts and certified servicing.

* Some guys have encouraged me towards the BP/W setup and skipping the BC jacket altogether (I don't plan to just be a vacay diver, 31 year/old male that gets into stuff when i get into it)

ANYWAY...

It seems like a potentially really great deal on some pretty well respected (at least back in the day) gear, and gets me a full setup for only $200 and I trust the source. Seems like it could pay for itself in a handful of dives without me needing to rent.

Also don't want to burn $200 that could be repurposed towards a more modern regulator thats brand new or can be easily serviced if this isn't that great of a deal.

I guess my question revolves more around the VX10 Evolution regulator. A little googling and reading seemed to indicate that this is a pretty killer (vintage?) regulator? People seemed to love it, its just hard to come by and service these days?

Also, is 17 years old that old for stuff? Is the gear recently having had a full refurbish on it a good plus?

Thank you!

vx10 evo isn't bad, has a metal barrel iirc, but i think it is missing the heat exchanger that is found on the iceberg edition. first stage is diaphragm, but i don't think it is dry sealed like you see froom apeks/hog/dive rite/zeagle

main issue is getting parts and service. beuchat is not popular in the US. if you are planning to use this setup locally, a steel plate helps with ballast compared to a regular bc. if the reg is in good shape and doesn't need an overhaul yet, you could consider it. i would maybe see if the friend could go a bit lower or sell you just the reg setup without the bc.

I bought one in 2000 or 2001 and liked it a lot. I'm looking at it now and the plastic @ the venturi lever has chipped away (not from use) with corresponding cracking @ the low pressure side. The plastic @ both points is really thin.

For the regulator:

The main challenge is to find a 'local' facility that will service it. That may not be easy, and trying to communicate with the company (in FL) that (appears to) label itself as the Beuchat USA representative is not what I would describe as a positive experience. Personally, I would pass.
main issue is getting parts and service. beuchat is not popular in the US.
What runsongas said . . .

For the BCD:
filmguy123:
Some guys have encouraged me towards the BP/W setup and skipping the BC jacket altogether (I don't plan to just be a vacay diver, 31 year/old male that gets into stuff when i get into it)
VERY good advice. At the very least research your options before jumping in on a deal because of the price.

OK, more to the point: seriously, forget about the 'steal' price on this gear. You would be (much, much) better served to continue looking.

Last edited:
Ok, wanted to follow up here. Much appreciate the advice and insights given here.

PICTURES OF GEAR: Beuchat Scuba Gear

FWIW a couple more points:

• It appears I may be able to get a legitimate service + some spare parts on this gear in Vancouver, BC (about 5 hours away from me... however, near all the good diving in this area so not too much hassle). Also, I understand the gear is in good working order currently and if I got a good service on it, it would last another 2-3 years+ if not more if used somewhat regularily (50-60 dives a year).
  • It appears to be a DIN reg with a Yoke adaptor...?
  • VX10 evo really was a great reg in the day
  • I'm currently leaning towards a BP/W setup but wouldnt mind having backup jacket or at least try getting started in one so I have a point of comparison

But, that said I'm still very iffy on the gear due to feedback here. So with those things consider, and FWIW, let me throw in a few pictures here too so you can give thoughts on the console gauges, 1st stage, etc.

Thank you again for insight! Don't mean to beat a deadhorse on this, just want to feel a bit more confident in my decision before making a call

PICTURES OF GEAR: Beuchat Scuba Gear

the first stage is din with a yoke adapter. looks like there used to be an oceanic computer for the console that is missing. if it all works, there is no reason you can't dive that setup. it would certainly be a cheap way to get in the water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom