Becoming a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a little curious when you were talking about the quarry. Does that mean all your dives are logged in a quarry? I would strongly discourage someone who had never dove in the ocean from becoming a DM. I think you need the experince of open water with currents before becoming a DM. I had a guy that logged like 118 dives and then he tried the ocean and he was horrible in current.

Last edited:
One point you mentioned, but I don't believe was addresed is the notion that you are not the greatest swimmer. The DM certification requires stamina qualifications, including an 800 meter and 400 meter timed swim, as well as 17 minutes of treading water.

I completed my DM certification simply for personal improvement. None of the PADI certifications are really that difficult up to the level of DM. The most difficult aspect is the theory, as you are tested on physics, physiology, the RDP, as well as five other tests.

I was a little curious when you were talking about the quarry. Does that mean all your dives are logged in a quarry? I would strongly discourage someone who had never dove in the ocean from becoming a DM. I think you need the experince of open water with currents before becoming a DM. I had a guy that logged like 118 dives and then he tried the ocean and he was horrible in current.

Not all my dives are logged in a quarry; just the vast majority of them :D The quarry's only an hour away from my house, and the ocean is 5 hours...with the price of gas this past year, I've tried to make my diving as inexpensive as possible.
On that note, I'd only be DM'ing at the local quarry (to help out with classes) and not anywhere else. That's definitely one of my goals next year, is to gain more experience at a variety of dive sites, and not just the ones that are convenient to my house! :)

One point you mentioned, but I don't believe was addresed is the notion that you are not the greatest swimmer. The DM certification requires stamina qualifications, including an 800 meter and 400 meter timed swim, as well as 17 minutes of treading water.

That's definitely something I really need to work on before taking the DM course! I talked about it with one of the owners at ABWA, and I'm absolutely amazed at the swimming skills needed. Heck, I could barely pass the test for OW! I guess I'm going to have to hit the pool and teach myself something other than the elementary backstroke before taking the DM course.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to pass a fairly rigorous swim test for Fundies, too, if you're headed that way . . . and Cave is worse!

That's definitely something I really need to work on before taking the DM course! I talked about it with one of the owners at ABWA, and I'm absolutely amazed at the swimming skills needed. Heck, I could barely pass the test for OW! I guess I'm going to have to hit the pool and teach myself something other than the elementary backstroke before taking the DM course.

Swim test standards are different depending on which certifying agency you would be going with. One of our DM candidates is working on finishing up his swimming requirements. He checked PADI's standards and could already have amassed enough points for a pass...if he wasn't in our NAUI DM class. He did finally get his 900 meter snorkel in under 18 minutes and his 75 foot underwater swim completed. Now he's got to get his 450 meter swim under 10 minutes and he'll be golden.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'd *highly* recommend a little swim-it-yourself program I found when I was working on the swims. It's called ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks, and if you follow the simple stages, by the end of week five, you shouldn't have any trouble with the swims.

My form is... well, it's pretty terrible if you're a swimming coach. Still, I was easily able to complete the NAUI swims (the 450 in under 9 minutes, and the 900 snorkel with minutes to spare). When I started the six weeks thing, I could barely make 100 nonstop.

Like I said, I highly recommend it. If you do try it out, by the way, post about it. I'd like to have more than one data point. :biggrin: (I had one other guy in my DM class, but he thought the Zero to 1650 thing wasn't worth the time, as he could do it his own way. He ended up never completing the swims.)

[Note -- I'll admit I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to instruction so take the following knowing that.]

I don't understand becoming a "professional" until one has the background to actually be a "professional" -- at anything. In my opinion (which is worth what you are paying for it) the OP needs a lot more experience -- a lot more diving experiences -- than he now has, not to mention a better basic water skill set.

Rather than taking the first step to becoming a "professional" in the diving business, it seems to me the OP (and too many others like him) need to broaden their overall diving experiences and water skills.

Yes, his DM time will be in the quarry in which he has a lot of dives and in which he is comfortable. But will he be able to help a student who has questions about diving elsewhere? Will he be able to explain to a student why "this skill" that seems, perhaps, unnecessary in the quarry will serve the student when she dives there (where ever there may be)?

Maybe I'm just a crotchety old guy who doesn't know much, and who certainly hasn't had much experience as a DM or working with diving students, but it just seems to me that one should have a broader range of experiences before becoming a "professional" and working with students.

[Note -- I'll admit I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to instruction so take the following knowing that.]

I don't understand becoming a "professional" until one has the background to actually be a "professional" -- at anything. In my opinion (which is worth what you are paying for it) the OP needs a lot more experience -- a lot more diving experiences -- than he now has, not to mention a better basic water skill set.
Rather than taking the first step to becoming a "professional" in the diving business, it seems to me the OP (and too many others like him) need to broaden their overall diving experiences and water skills.
Where do you draw the line? For example say you cannot be a DM until you have been diving in X number of environments with Y number of varying conditions in each environment. Who sets what the environments are? That means all the warm water Caribbean natives are going to have to make some trips to the cold water regions and vice versa before they get certified as "pros". While that would make for some well-rounded pros the job just doesn't pay enough to justify the kind of expense it takes to dive in even the majority of different environments.

[Yes, his DM time will be in the quarry in which he has a lot of dives and in which he is comfortable. But will he be able to help a student who has questions about diving elsewhere? Will he be able to explain to a student why "this skill" that seems, perhaps, unnecessary in the quarry will serve the student when she dives there (where ever there may be)?

Maybe I'm just a crotchety old guy who doesn't know much, and who certainly hasn't had much experience as a DM or working with diving students, but it just seems to me that one should have a broader range of experiences before becoming a "professional" and working with students.

"A good diver is always learning." Actually you can help students who have questions about diving elsewhere and the general procedures for those dives if you've done your research. There's no harm in showing them how to do research of their own either because you're not always going to be there to answer questions.

I can explain in a quarry why we keep our gear in place (mask on face, reg in mouth, fins on wrists) until all buddy's are clear of the water. Do you have to do all that in a quarry? No, but that procedure will serve you well in a bunch of dive conditions.

The desire to become a DM for the right reasons will result in a pro that adds to their experience base regularly. People who just want to fast-track certifications to "wear the badge" are the problem.

Just .02 from a quarry based instructor who researches sites and seeks the advice of locals when going to new places.
Ber :lilbunny:

You'll have to pass a fairly rigorous swim test for Fundies, too, if you're headed that way . . . and Cave is worse!

Yup...that's the main reason I haven't taken Fundies yet...I was about ready to sign up for the class, then did a bit of research and changed my mind (for now, at least). Not about to spend that kind of money when I know I'm going to fail :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom