becoming a new diver about padi test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffestpirate:
Even here David?:shakehead :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Thanks pal
(you'll have to wait until Memorial Day to find out)

ARe you a MasterDiver :14: I've always wanted to meet one of them :kiss:

Why is it so hard for some people to give a stright answer on this baord.
Steve, everything you read is important! Like the most important rule in SCUBA diving is "Always......no wait,........never hold your breath".
All joking aside, even though that really isn't a joke.
My dad once told me "there is no experience for experience".
My son was certified at the age of 10. I am a instructor with lot's of experience, but chose not to certify him myself and sent him to the local dive store. I felt he would learn more and take it more seriously if it were in a proffesional atmosphere. Do not rely on your family, your class, or this SCUBA board for your only source of information. It certainly is bold, inspiring, and resourceful to see you reaching out for help at a young age.
This is a great source of information, you just have to weed through the jokers.

Good luck!

Scubasteve92
Don;t let those that have been doing this so long intimidate you. I was just as confused at first, but believe me, when you take it one step at a time and follow the book and videos, it becomes so natural. You'll catch on. If I can do it so can you. PADI's presentation is methodical and easy to learn. Keep plugging.

To everyone else, remember what you have told so many before, no question is a stupid question.

shellim123:
What makes you think we don't quiz him at home and help him read and understand all the fine print? If we let him have a break and play with other divers, isn't that a good way to keep him interested in the sport:huh: And find others opinions and what problems they have ran into and how they were solved? Instead of just listening to the adults opinions?
I guess we could let him go do drugs and drink alcohol instead:shakehead

Very glad to hear that....Since he never stated it( "am reading the padi book so i can get certifyed i was just wondering if their is
any thing important I need to know?
04.gif
,") I had no idea......When our last 2 (of 3) children were certified in '90 & '93 (the 1st one was certified with my wife & I in '85), they knew as much of the theory of diving as they learned in classes(both had read the books & new the tables by age 11-- both certified @ age 12)......In those days, there was no internet to speak of & SB was just a distant, fleeting thought probably....Where do you think they learned it..I'll answer that...Some was from the books & some was from good parenting ie taking time to sit around & talk to them---both are MO & MO only....

Keep up the good work....Don't let him get messed up, alcohol can be a SOB, drugs I have no experience with...Diving is a good tool and way for a kid to keep things 'straight'(I hate to use that word in public these days.....lol).......Since his mother is an experienced diver, I would try to instill those thoughts & theories of diving into him 1st ......There's time for all this other stuff later.....again, good luck......

ScubaSteve,
It sounds like you have a good idea about how fun scuba is and the risks. I'll agree with White. The PADI material is pretty straight forward, as is the test. Read the book, the whole book, and YOU decide what is important for YOUR safety or not (eg: equipment comes in many colors...join the PADI pro program...etc).
With divers in the family, it sounds like you have someone to turn to if you don't quite get some of the technical points. One thing that might be a bit tough from the test is the tables. Learn their use backwards and forwards (which is actually how you use them!). They're pretty straight forward, but take your time and be precise. Good luck SS, and enjoy.

when i did my OW course, i found the tables to be quite confusing. study them well. good luck. and dont worry, the OW course is quite easy. i found it much simpler then the book made it out to be

Hey, another new diver! Very cool! I just completed my written test (scored a 98, woohoo) and my two confined water (pool) dives. Aside from the medical stuff, which I feel is extremely important as it can literally be life or death, I would say pay special attention to bouyancy control. Being able to do a fin pivet or hovering may seem kind of wierd at first, but being able to control your depth by just inhaling and exhaling (once you are neutrally bouyant that is) gave me a lot of confidence and can be a really handy skill for once you get in the ocean. Being able to sit close to what you wanna look at but not accidentally hitting it can be extremely important when you are somewhere like a reef or a wreck.

Just as an extra note, my open water class had a 13 year old boy in it, and he was as good as any and better than some in the class when it came to maturity and being prepared, so dont let anyone get to you just because you are young. It takes guts to complete your cert, and somebody should give you a big clap on the back for trying. Good luck and go get wet!!!

One last thing, when it comes to the tables, especially things like taking two or more dives and computing the surface interval needed to to do your next dive safely, dont forget that once you get your answer, take all the numbers and pressure groups you came up with and work them from beginning to end to make sure all your results add up. Doing this saved me from missing two questions on the exam that I had made some careless errors on. Good luck!!!

Your insructor's name wouldn't happen to be Darwin would it?

Just read the book the whole way through...then each chapter before you go over it in class...take the RDP (dive table) stuff seriously and you'll be fine on the final!

Good luck!

Just a short update. Scubasteve passed his exam and finished his check out dives last night. I was there he did great! I will let him give you the details and how he felt:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom