Beginner scuba setup.. New?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go find yourself a good deal on NEW stuff that you have done a little research on and will meet your immediate needs for the type of diving you are doing NOW. Good Luck.

Why would you only look at your immediate needs? That's how you end up with a bunch of gear that you can't use if you try to advance. I would rather look at what I'd need for the maximum diving I plan to do. That way I don't end up with a bunch of useless sets of gear, and have all of my experience on a single set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not buy a set of used gear from the local dive shop. Every year they sell used gear and you should be able to pick up a whole set for 500 or so.

Ditto on the good advice given above... Depending on your diving future you may end up getting interested in some technical diving which means using a backplate and wing by default. Add to that a balanced reg, dry suit, long hoses, etc. So in terms of starting out I would also recommend the backplate/Wing combo. I doubt you will find a package with the right equipment if you go this direction. The sets are typically for recreational jacket style bcs some even with Air 2 instead of an octopus which is a definite no-no of DIR (if you decide to move into technical). The "packages" are for once a year recreational divers...

A user in my other post posted the link below.. Was wondering if it is an acceptable set...
Competitive BC Package - Dive Right in Scuba
I need to clarify that I was only using that as an example of what else was available at an entry level. In no way did I mean to suggest that it was anything but equivalent to what you had been considering used.

All packages trade off something. In this case you trade optimum gear in any one category (optimum doesn't mean most expensive) for the convenience of having all the gear serviceable at your local Aeris dealer. If there's one thing about that package I don't like it's the jacket BC. Unfortunately those are typically the lowest priced when compared to higher priced back inflate systems so most often bundled. Most of the online retailers offer a similar package deal.

Actually go with dive count vs. 5000+ posters. Or look at profiles. Sometimes they're the same other times they're not. I don't show my post count for that reason - it's #30 on Scubaboard. And I've seen references made to my experience level when I did. It's entirely because I've "worked" here for almost 10 years not that I'm all that technically advanced a diver although diving since the early 80's - I just like to blow bubbles on coral reefs mostly. I also shoot sharks - with a video camera...:wink:

If you think you're going to be diving below 100' soon, look for a balanced regulator. They'll breathe better at depth and sometimes when tank pressures get light. After doing deep dives sometimes you won't have much air left at your safety stop. Good gas planning says you should but human nature being what it is...

Go to shops, talk to other divers in your area. You can find a bunch of them on the Hollywood beaches or at Blue Heron Bridge most weekends. Even the shops - most are divers. Very few will steer you wrong. One observation I've made about divers in your area is that Zeagle BC's seem to be popular. They make a quality product - I own one. Maybe it's just that they're located in Zephyr Hills but someone on a boat dive should be able to explain their rationale for buying one - or anything else they're using. Divers like to talk about it how they optimized their gear.:D

Last edited:
I need to clarify that I was only using that as an example of what else was available at an entry level. In no way did I mean to suggest that it was anything but equivalent to what you had been considering used.

All packages trade off something. In this case you trade optimum gear in any one category (optimum doesn't mean most expensive) for the convenience of having all the gear serviceable at your local Aeris dealer. If there's one thing about that package I don't like it's the jacket BC. Unfortunately those are typically the lowest priced when compared to higher priced back inflate systems so most often bundled. Most of the online retailers offer a similar package deal.

Actually go with dive count vs. 5000+ posters. Or look at profiles. Sometimes they're the same other times they're not. I don't show my post count for that reason - it's #30 on Scubaboard. And I've seen references made to my experience level when I did. It's entirely because I've "worked" here for almost 10 years not that I'm all that technically advanced a diver although diving since the early 80's - I just like to blow bubbles on coral reefs mostly. I also shoot sharks - with a video camera...:wink:

If you think you're going to be diving below 100' soon, look for a balanced regulator. They'll breathe better at depth and sometimes when tank pressures get light. After doing deep dives sometimes you won't have much air left at your safety stop. Good gas planning says you should but human nature being what it is...

Go to shops, talk to other divers in your area. You can find a bunch of them on the Hollywood beaches or at Blue Heron Bridge most weekends. Even the shops - most are divers. Very few will steer you wrong. One observation I've made about divers in your area is that Zeagle BC's seem to be popular. They make a quality product - I own one. Maybe it's just that they're located in Zephyr Hills but someone on a boat dive should be able to explain their rationale for buying one - or anything else they're using. Divers like to talk about it how they optimized their gear.:D

Haha I understand :D. So as far as bp/w, none of my friends use these and they dive 100+ feet but I assume they are better. Can someone link me to one of these that they recommend?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

DeepSeaSupply sells a quality product. https://www.deepseasupply.com/
They have their own forum here. Deep Sea Supply cool_hardware52 is Tobin, the owner.

Dive Right In Scuba sellls an entry level bp/w also. DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba Watch the video there to get a good idea about it.

Probably the biggest advantage to a BP/W is that sized correctly for your normal tank configuration you may not need any additional weights. The weight of the tank/plate become your weight system. Of course the wing needs to be able to support that at the surface.
The DSS system also has bolt-on weight plates if needed to fine tune it. Other options are weight harnesses, bolt on weights, add-on pockets or even weight pockets glued to your wetsuit. Another advantage is modularity. Any component can be changed out as needed - diving doubles? Just change the wing. They also break down well for travel. Having as steel backplate strapped to your back guarantees very little tank movement. Most softer pack BC systems have a little wiggle - even when diving single tank. Personally that's never bothered me - my first system was a hard backplate so I've dove both for at least a decade.

I'm sort of a dive comfort wuss now so they're not for me - I like a little padding. Although I did recently see a backplate cover/pad somewhere. If you like to put things in pockets that's something else you'll have to work out - a typical BP/W doesn't have them. I'm honestly not the best person to extoll their virtues since I don't use one.

When I bought my stuff I didn't even know about BP/W or Scubaboard. I wish I did as I would have bought a BP/W instead of my BCD. Even though I am only a recreational diver and have no interest in caving as I am a woose, and diving to 1 billion ft is not my thing I still want to be able to run sidemount purely because getting a pony bottle when travelling is next to impossible and I like the idea of having two independent tanks.

I just got a deep sea supply ss Bp/w a couple months ago and I love love love it. I would 110% recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who asks and gives me an email address can get at no.charge the article I wrote.on BPW type bc's for new divers and students. just shoot a pm or email me using.the link in my signature line. And just as a point of information a BPW is not.going to be the best choice if you want to.go.sidemount later . You'll need a sidemount bc for proper sidemounting.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom