Beginner scuba setup.. New?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am goinjg to suggest you are better off getting suggestions from your local dive shop, who will be warranteeing, servicing and held accountable for the quality of gear they sell you. You can tru on and try out everything. IO do not understand the aversion people have to doing business with a shop. That is where relationships are formed, and even if you spend a few dollars more, you have the knowledge of where to go to satisfaction if something goes wrong. I buy accessories and exposure gear all over, and on the net. But I buy bc, regs and computers and the like from my LDS. I have never regretted doing so. I know a lot of people who bought on line or used and have been frustrated with poor quality, poor service, and disappearing sellers. Not everything you find on line is flawed, nor are all sellers. But I prefer a licensed representative who services and warrants their products and who will be in the same location next week as last week.
DivemasterDennis

DeepSeaSupply sells a quality product. https://www.deepseasupply.com/
They have their own forum here. Deep Sea Supply cool_hardware52 is Tobin, the owner.

Dive Right In Scuba sellls an entry level bp/w also. DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba Watch the video there to get a good idea about it.

Probably the biggest advantage to a BP/W is that sized correctly for your normal tank configuration you may not need any additional weights. The weight of the tank/plate become your weight system. Of course the wing needs to be able to support that at the surface.
The DSS system also has bolt-on weight plates if needed to fine tune it. Other options are weight harnesses, bolt on weights, add-on pockets or even weight pockets glued to your wetsuit. Another advantage is modularity. Any component can be changed out as needed - diving doubles? Just change the wing. They also break down well for travel. Having as steel backplate strapped to your back guarantees very little tank movement. Most softer pack BC systems have a little wiggle - even when diving single tank. Personally that's never bothered me - my first system was a hard backplate so I've dove both for at least a decade.

I'm sort of a dive comfort wuss now so they're not for me - I like a little padding. Although I did recently see a backplate cover/pad somewhere. If you like to put things in pockets that's something else you'll have to work out - a typical BP/W doesn't have them. I'm honestly not the best person to extoll their virtues since I don't use one.

While I really appreciate your post here and you give some good points, there is no such thing as an "entry level" BP/W. It is a BP/W, that is all.

Likewise, there is no comfort issue with a BP/W and I actually (due to my "odd" sizing) find it far more comfortable than a jacket BC. I do like the comfort harnesses though I don't dive one (mostly because I'm cheap and don't see a need for one). I admit I never dive without at least a wetsuit, so it may be slightly less comfortable (on land) if you're just wearing skins or shorts and t-shirt. Either way, comfort is never an issue if you have one of the comfort harnesses because you effectively get all the features of a vest with a little less bulk.

As for pockets, thigh pockets are typically a better choice than BC pockets anyway, due to size and accessibility.

Here's a thread that lists prices for NEW gear (though I always buy used gear) that gives a few really good options no matter which way you lean. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/476857-getting-started-cheap.html

Note the first post in that thread provides gear suitable for "growth" into tech diving (except possibly the BC) if that's the direction you eventually go, or it will be more than satisfactory for a lifetime of rec diving.

I think others have touched on some really good points. Since you live in South Florida you have FAR more options than most of us for dive shops. If I were you, knowing what I know today... I would not go into the shop thinking it is a one bundled purchase. that would limit yourself to what that shop owner stocks and maybe not is what is best for you. However looking at the list of equipment you would need I would decide on the regulator and BCD/BPW first. Maybe see if one shop would sell you both at a discount. BUT... don't limit yourself just because you'll save a few dollars.

A lot of divers here, myself included, have gone through the BCD lifecycle: jacket to rear inflate to BPW. In doing so we probably paid twice as much as we should have from the beginning if we had tried each type out and really considered the options. For BPW I would consider DSS, Dive Right, Oxychek. Halcyon is nice but very pricey. For a rear inflate I really liked my Zeagle.

For regulators, overall they are pretty much the same within the same price point. It comes down to local service and what brand you may like better. Personally, I've been a fan of Aqualungs and currently have the Titan LX. I'm not an every weekend diver so it suits my needs just fine. Other brands that I would consider are ScubaPro, Zeagle, Atomic.

For computers look at the hockey puck or larger display units if you really like big numbers or a watch style if the display size is not an issue. The main difference is air integrated or not. You can get a good computer for $300-$400. Look at having that as the discounted item where you buy your reg or BCD/BPW. Suunto, Aeris, Oceanic make nice computers in various styles.

Given this is gear you will own for a long time, but the best you can. Maybe skimp on the computer and upgrade later using the first as a spare/backup.

my 2 cents....

Last edited:
Check out Gold Coast in LBTS -- they stock Aeris & Hollis -- and they are a Dive Rite Dealer as well. They've got the Hollis Ride on display in the shop (soft travel wing i think it is?)
and can order whatever diverite item you want. I know a few of the guys in the group dive BP/W including David (one of the instructor/owners)
(and membership is free if you sign up for Bugfest i believe)
at either BHB or LBTS you can normally find all sorts of setups and people are usually willing to talk about their rigs.

Why would you only look at your immediate needs? That's how you end up with a bunch of gear that you can't use if you try to advance. I would rather look at what I'd need for the maximum diving I plan to do. That way I don't end up with a bunch of useless sets of gear, and have all of my experience on a single set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, good points and maybe better advice for the OPs question.
But I don't se how buying what would probably be more expensive gear (I don't know if it is or not) that would carry one over into Tecnical diving would benefit someone that doesn't plan to go beyond rec diving (like myself) that only needs a good basic kit at a reasonable price. And chances are good you would want a different kit after more experience ,checking out others equipment,and concidering advancement to Tec later anyway. Maybe not.

So, I posted a link yesterday and it seems like that was a good set but it was already sold for $500. Does anyone know of a new complete package that would be good for a first buy at a decent price? I know the options are endless but I would rather have suggestions here than the local dive shop trying to sell me what they have in stock. Any link or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your LDS is going to hate me but since you live in Florida it *will* be possible for you to score a good set of used gear online for about 1/2 of what you pay for it new.

What you need is an experienced friend/buddy who can help you identify what is good and what is crap. Scubaboard is good for this as well although the delay might mean that you need more patience before you're the first in line.

I don't have anything against your LDS but I strongly believe that newbie divers (making an assumption here) should get as much experience as they can as soon after certification as possible. If you're waiting because you need to save money for gear then buy 2nd hand. Getting that experience is as important for your safety as your training was so make that wait as short as possible.

R..

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 08:22 PM ----------

A user in my other post posted the link below.. Was wondering if it is an acceptable set...
Competitive BC Package - Dive Right in Scuba

No. For the same (or less) money you'll get better quality gear on ebay.

R..

It ain't easy to get started with your own gear! It took us months, and we had a very knowledgeable person that was really willing to help us along with way. Ultimately we went with Backplate / Wing and HOG regs because that approach is cheaper -- like half the price of a new jacket BC and ScubaPro regs.

Good luck!

- Bill

While I really appreciate your post here and you give some good points, there is no such thing as an "entry level" BP/W. It is a BP/W, that is all.
Entry level priced - as compared to DSS, Dive-Rite or Halcyon. We seem to be working within a budget here.

Likewise, there is no comfort issue with a BP/W and I actually (due to my "odd" sizing) find it far more comfortable than a jacket BC. I do like the comfort harnesses though I don't dive one (mostly because I'm cheap and don't see a need for one). I admit I never dive without at least a wetsuit, so it may be slightly less comfortable (on land) if you're just wearing skins or shorts and t-shirt. Either way, comfort is never an issue because you effectively get all the features of a vest with a little less bulk.
I respectfully disagree. I've tried both and my Ranger is significantly more comfortable than a BP/W. I do a lot of long shore carries where we gear up at the truck and walk some distance with our gear on our backs. It's less noticeable in the water. Like many of us on vacation my weight fluctuates during the week so Velcro is my friend. :D
Either way, comfort is never an issue if you have one of the comfort harnesses
It is for me now. Partly because my "wetsuit" is a t-shirt. As I've gotten older, I've relaxed my standards on "optimum" to optimally comfortable. And willing to trade a little for that. I thought that was pretty clear:
I'm sort of a dive comfort wuss now so they're not for me - I like a little padding
Not just on the straps either. I appreciate my Zeagle's Lumbar Pad every dive I do.

Last edited:
Haha I understand :D. So as far as bp/w, none of my friends use these and they dive 100+ feet but I assume they are better. Can someone link me to one of these that they recommend?

Please try before you buy! In fact, this should be advice for buying any BC, not just a BP/W setup. There is something to be said for local dive shops in this respect. Mine has a pool, and they will let you try out anything in the pool before you buy it. Have you been renting gear? If so, what BCs (or features thereof) did you like, and what did you not like? If all that matters is a decent price and a decent product, there is very little out there that would not suit you if you were to buy simply based on price. Most BCs are perfectly well made.

Now, as for the BP/W, I strongly urge you to try one before you buy one. Scubaboard seems to have more advocates of this configuration (and conversely, more haters of traditional jacket-style BCs) than the general diving population. SB is just a den of BP/W fans--not representative of what you will find out in the general diving population.

In the past year I switched to a BP/W after diving for years in a traditional BC, and I am not having the same epiphany that many on here will tell you they had. Rather, I have found a BP/W to be challenging--there is a learning curve to mastering the thing. There are certainly advantages to the BP/W that others have mentioned, but if you have been diving a jacket BC you may not find it quite as easy to transition to as some comments might lead you to believe. Try one out.

What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. You need to figure out what works for you, plain and simple.

Do not buy from an online shop. Do not buy from craigslist or similar sites. Buy from your LDS. You should only consider buying online if your LDS doesn't have a specific item that you're interested in. Sure, online deals may save you a couple dollars, but is it really worth it? When your LDS goes out of business because you refused to support them, are you going to send in tanks to the online shop to get them filled? If something is wrong with the gear, wouldn't you prefer to know that you can bring it to your LDS for service / warranty? Support your LDS!!!

Anyway, on to the equipment...

Don't buy anything until after you have tried it. Buying new gear before you try it is like buying a house or car without testing / exploring it first. It's not a matter of whether it will work; nearly all manufacturers make good equipment. The question is whether or not YOU are comfortable with the workings of the gear.

Talk with your preferred LDS and several other shops around your area. Tell them you are interested in buying gear, but want to try it before you buy it. Most shops have a rental set of their inventory specifically for this purpose. After you've tried several different setups, you'll be able to make an informed decision, based on your diving habits, that will be more appropriate than any advice from someone who doesn't know you. That said, suggestions are always useful, but going back to my opening statement, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

I have many personal setups, including the Aeris package you posted. That package is a standard package that any Aeris dealer should be able to offer. It's a very simple setup, designed for the beginner scuba diver who wishes to have their own gear while keeping costs to a minimum. If you plan on diving < 20 times a year, it's a great package. If you start diving more frequently, you might want to consider gear that has more 'bells and whistles'. FYI- 90% of my rental lineup consists of that package. Nearly all my students learn to dive using it. Should you try the gear, take special note of the power inflater - I find it doesn't deflate / manually inflate very easily.

If you like Aeris gear and do a lot of travelling, consider the next package up, which includes their jetpack and AT600 regulator. The jetpack is great for travelling, but it's a 'one size fits all' and is actually a 'one size fits some'. I use the AT600 reg as my primary reg for nearly everything. Then again, I also use a handful of other regulators (and equipment) depending on the situation.

My preferred Gear:

BCD: Aeris Atmos, Aeris Jetpack, Zeagle Ranger LTD, OxyCheq Recon II, HOG BP&W

Regs: Aeris AT600, Edge Ti Extreme, Atomic T2x, Atomic M1, Atomic SS1

Computers: Aeris A300 CS OLED, Atomic Cobalt, Dive Rite NiTek Q, Aeris Atmos AI

Fins: Atomic Split Fins, XS Scuba Turtle Fins

Back
Top Bottom