Beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eileen

Registered
Reaction score
I have enrolled in SCUBA lessons. I plan to take the classes here on the east coast and do the dive part in the BVI. My first class went beautifully. I could hardly wait to return. The second class was a disaster. I have been practicing in a pool every day and hope that my next class will go better. I'm not discouraged ...yet!!!

Do tell what the problems were. There is a lot of help, suggestions and "the same thing happened to me" stories to be had here if you will let us in on the problems. Welcome to the board and to diving.

I am having trouble clearing the mask. I do fine at the shallow end of the pool, but when I clear it at the deep end it feels with water as I ascend.
I'm also having difficulty iflating my BC orally on ascent.
This I'm sure just takes more practice.
My other problem is with bouancy. when I relax at the bottom of the pool and inflate just a little, I start to turn over on my back. Then it seems like I have to struggle to keep prone. I't not a pretty sight. Sometimes I don't know how the instructor doesn't keep from laughing.
I guess I'm just not a 'natural' at this and it's just going to take more practice. That's if I don't drown in the mean time.
I'm not giving up......yet!!

Mask Clearing - Hold the top of the mask as you clear it, if you've got long hair tie it back out of the way. Try a different mask - I've had major problems when I had to 'borrow' a mask on holiday .

Until you're completely comfortable in the water you may roll about when you're trying to get neutral buoyancy. Just relax, I found it easier to 'lie' as though I was swimming. As soon as you tense because you're rolling over then the more you're likely to roll - difficult I know.

Surely you shouldn't be inflating your BC on ascent - this could send you shooting up to the surface, okay from 5 metres or so but could cause real problems at 20 metres

Good Luck - stick with it... it's all worth it when you get out in open water. You'll also find things easier with something to look at other than the walls of the pool.

Thanks for the tips.
About inflating the BC....I meant at the surface, after ascent.

Have you mentioned your concerns to your instructor or to the DM on your course? That's what there for. To teach you the things that you need to know.

Don't be afraid to ask, you'll be surprised how many other students have the same problem.

With the buoyancy - you mentioned you roll; where have you placed your weights? Make sure they are towards the front if you roll to the back.

Keep it up, the world down under is worth it.

Hi Eileen,

I remember having some difficulty getting my BC inflated orally at the surface when I first tried it. Make sure of the following:

(1) You are getting a good seal between your mouth and the inflation mouthpiece (i.e., the air you're blowing in is not leaking back out)

(2) Pay close attention to the timing of when you blow and when you push the valve button. If you push the button too early, you allow air to escape. If you push it too late, you've wasted some of your breath. I breathe in deeply, put my mouth on the inflator and then push the button just after I start blowing (no way for air to escape). Since you're in the water while you do this, if you push the button too early or hold it down for too long after you've stopped breathing, the water pressure forces the air out very quickly.

Hope this helps -- stick with it and you'll master it with a little practice!

Thank you everyone for your advise and encouragment.
I had my final class last night. I aced the written exam and completed all the skills in the pool satisfacturally. I tried a different mask and had no trouble at all...removed it and put it back on at the deep end of the pool. I had to really consentrate on inflateing my BC at the surface and it went real well. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish the same on my open dives in the BVI's!
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom