Belize tour of Mayan sites, Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdteague

Registered
Reaction score
We are planning to stay a few days, probably in San Ignacio, in March for land tours. Do you guys have any recomm. on places to see, stay and tour operators? I really like to have a good tour guide for Mayan history. We are not into camping or "roughing it". Thanks, Mike

Mike my friend, you must check out The Mopan River Resort. I stayed there in 2003 for 5 nights after a week diving on Ambergris Caye for the same reason. It is a small resort. Small bungalows that are beautiful, screened in, made from all local hardwood, all set on about 20 manicured acres. The place is run day to day by the owners Pam and Jay Picone. They are great hosts, and very knowledgable of the area and the locals. It is an all inclusive ( which is great after burning through cash in San Pedro ) and I can say the food and drinks are great. They have local's from the town accross the river working as staff and tour guides. The guides speak great English. All the tours are arranged with the resort, their vehicles, and their guides. It's a little further up in the Cayo near Buenqe Viejo del Carmen. They do all the local Mayan Ruins in the Cayo as well as a trip to Tikal and shopping in Guatemala. Most days are Mayan ruins in the morning and Kayaking the river or relaxing in the afternoon. The Tikal trip is an all day event not to be missed. They'll also pick you up and drop you off at either of the airports in Belize city. They really take care of everything.

We are Glen and Nicole from California if you look at their reviews. I can honestly say you feel like you are staying with friends who own a nice estate in one of their guest houses. Not like a customer of a business. This place really exceeded my expectations. And I had high expectations as it was for our honeymoon.

http://www.mopanriverresort.com/

Good luck. And feel free to PM me with specifics.

Regards,
G

This would work better in our Cent American forum. I'll ask a Mod to move it for you. :D

done!

and.... no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

my first ever post here

A friend and I visited San Ignacio for a few days a couple of years ago. We did on on the cheap and stayed the Pax-Z guest house. 10 buck per room per night. Nice and clean. Shared bath (some had private bath) no AC and common lounge TV room.

A gathering place for tours/info is Eva's on the main street. Here we got a guide (Toni, he is in some travel books) to take us on an overnight trip down the belize river. He could spot everthing. We some some nice birds, lots of iguanas, a few howler monkeys, and a crocodile. We did that in April and the sun was very intense.

DO NOT MISS TIKAL. It is a 1-1.5 hour trip into Guatemala. Border crossing is very easy. You can arrange guided tours at Eva's that go in those small vans. We just hired a taxi driver for the trip, paid the same as a tour and got to set our own schedule. Tikal is huge. We walked around for 6 hours and did not see all of it. Also the coatimundi and wild turkeys (very colorful, not like ours) are used to people so you can get really close. I do remember hearing that there might be some problems/restrication in taking a rental car into Guatemala, so be sure to check on that if that is your plan. Tikal is a full day trip.

If you are headed to Belize City at all there are tours from there to Altoonha Ruins and further up but over the border into Mexico from Costa Maya there is the Kuhonlic Ruins. Both of these sites are close to the border of Belize and Mexico. We enjoyed both of these sites.

dna77054:
DO NOT MISS TIKAL. It is a 1-1.5 hour trip into Guatemala. Border crossing is very easy. You can arrange guided tours at Eva's that go in those small vans. We just hired a taxi driver for the trip, paid the same as a tour and got to set our own schedule. Tikal is huge. We walked around for 6 hours and did not see all of it. Also the coatimundi and wild turkeys (very colorful, not like ours) are used to people so you can get really close. I do remember hearing that there might be some problems/restrication in taking a rental car into Guatemala, so be sure to check on that if that is your plan. Tikal is a full day trip.

Just posting again because I don't know if I was clear enough. I am with DNA77054. Whatever you do in the Cayo and wherever you stay...DO NOT MISS TIKAL. Just the ride through Guatemala is an experience. If you like beer, try the Gallo when your at Tikal. It's pretty good. The ruins at Tikal were the most impressive. Guatemala has the best shopping too. The prices are lower than Belize. The best handcrafts/artwork we found anywhere were the vendors at Tikal. The best place we found for hammocks, tshirts, gifts etc. was in the border town in Guatemala. I can find out the exact name and location if you like. Some of the other sites I enjoyed were Xunantunich - You can hike to the top, and it can be done in less than a couple of hours. Cahal Pech was cool too. It seemed more like a Mayan town.

Beside Tikal and Cahal Pech dont miss Xunan Tunich. Cahal Pech is with in walking distance of SI but the hill may make for a bit of a climb. Xunan Tunich on the other hand is 10 mins out of SI and serviced by most taxis in the area. It to has a small climb up the hill to get to but well worth the visit.

Thanks for the info. I have been leaning toward staying at the San Ignacio Resort/ Hotel (not definite). We plan on a day trip to Tikal with a tour guide for transportation, and possibly Caracol another day (weather permitting). This should be fantastic. We loved our trip to Chichen Itza in Mexico.

For Tikal, are guides provided by the Guatemalans, or do you take a guide with you? I noticed Mopan River says Tikal trips are not on either Sunday or Monday, when we hope to be on tours.

For our hotel, I am looking for a/c, private shower, clean and secure.

Take a look at http://www.cahalpech.com/ nice rooms over looking the valley. You can see the morning mist over the rain forest.They have connections for the tours you want and you can still get in the Cahal Pech Site which is right there. Nice collection of artifacts on display in the Sites own museum which is also on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom