best dive in philippines EXCLUDING apo reef and tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Verde Island near Puerto Galera is my favorite. From what I have seen it has the biggest fish population in the Philippines. I was lucky enough to see a 20ft whaleshark there around 18 months ago. It's concerning to see sometimes 20-30 fisherman on the dive site. That area is one of the best in the Philippines and should be a no fishing zone in my eyes.
I can't see any reason to stop fishermen using single line to catch fish.

It's not just lines Centrals, we picked up a fishing net off the reef there a few weeks that had at least 10 dead fish trapped inside and caused a lot of damage to the soft corals. People pay a fee to dive on that site and it should be protected. That reef is worth a lot more to local people with the fish on it than without. Thousands of divers visit and have lunch there each year so it would better for everyone if its conserved for future generations.

I agree.

AFAIK, net is NOT permitted at Verde island.
Dynamite fishing is also not allowed in any part of the country.
How would you propose to stop those destructive practices? Proposal is one thing but how to implement it is another.

In no particular order my top 4 (not including Tubbataha or Apo Reef):
Verde Island (Puerto Galera)-Incredible visibility and fish life.
Napantao (Southern Leyte)-Wall diving at it's best and great fish life.
Gato Island (Malapascua)-Reef sharks, nudibranchs, frogfish, the tunnel through the island.
Pescador Island (Moalboal)-Another great wall dive, great visibility, swarms of fish, frogfish, morays, etc..

In the past 4 years I have never seen any dynamite fishing on Verde Island. It is always a difficult argument with regards to the poor fishermen as they need to feed their families and have been fishing for generations. Other marine reserves that I have been working in paid a salary to some of the fishermen to act as rangers on the reef. This would be an idea to help a few but not everyone. Education on sustainable fishing is a good idea. Verde Island is quite big and I have only been diving in around 4 different areas so I'm not sure if there are other areas where they could catch fish instead of the Pinnacle dive site. I think the current rate to dive on Verde is 150 or 200 php a day so an island with a population of around 1000 people are getting decent funds already. The Philippines know how to manage marine parks, Tubbataha and the dive sites around Dauin are good examples of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom