• Santa Rosa Wall

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Punta Sur

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Yucab Wall

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You also left out my favorite.
The wreck dive of the C- 53 in Cozumel.

There are two Maracaibo dives, Shallow & Deep (sometimes as referred to as Maracaibo Punta).

I like both a great deal. They're entirely different, although both are very far south. Some ops are reluctant to go there because of the transit time & gas involved, and some levy a surcharge, like $10 or so, because of its distance.

Deep is best reserved for advanced divers due to depth & current. To see the wall decently, and it's a beauty, you need to go to at least 110'. Shallower than that and you're mostly looking down on sand & a wall you can't really see. Wall starts at about 130', and to get the best of it you need to hit at least 150'. I've been to 175', and others in my group have been considerably deeper. Usually a swimming shark or two, and some turtles & spotted eagle rays. Only dive where I've seen a wahoo. Currents reportedly can be swift, although they were no big deal on my dives there. Also, surface can be rough as you're exposed to the windwardside (east) conditions.

Shallow is much closer to shore, and slightly north of Deep. It's only about 10-15', but is very pristine as it's seldom dived. Lots of nice small marine life, and because of its depth you can have a very long bottom time.

That's what they're like to me.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc! Next time I'm down there I'm going to check out the wall. I stay at the Presidente and use SCUBA DU and they usually refrain from the site so I'll look in town and hire someone for the day and make the journey. I've been to 150' before and had no problems so the depth sounds OK for a specific period of time. Sounds like a beauty. :)

Jason

I have a problem with favorites. Oh, sure, I have my own first choice, but we all have different criteria.

Palancar is one of the most amazing rides in the Caribbean, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as my favorite. Lotes of activity, lots of levels. Much to see. Never a dull moment.

That said, I found a lot more interesting small critters in Yucab. At every turn, I found new critters.

Punta Sur is interesting but with a distinct been-there-done-that flavor. I doubt I'll elect to go back there.

Columbia deep is a singular experience among the Coz reefs: pinnacles roaring up out of the depths like frozen examples of the mountains in the original Fantasia treatment of Rites of Spring stand interspersed by sweeping Vail-and-Breckenridge quality ski slopes of glistening snowy sand.

Santa Rosa wall in a current is one hell of a wild ride, what with all those crannies and swim-throughs.

I've heard others claim that Paseo del Cedral is a rish source of eels and macro life, but I've never had much luck there. Last couple of times I hit the Pass, the currents damn near took us out to sea. We saw a few interesting critters, but it couldn't compare with what we saw on Yucab.

The destroyer is a bit of a yawn if you discount the glassy sweepers in the hold, but the sandy stretches beyond her bow are rich with life: garden eels, flounder, trunkfish, eels, scorpion fish.

Favorite? Best? Hell, what do you want from a dive?:)

Verbshark once bubbled...
I have a problem with favorites. Oh, sure, I have my own first choice, but we all have different criteria.

Palancar is one of the most amazing rides in the Caribbean, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as my favorite. Lotes of activity, lots of levels. Much to see. Never a dull moment.

That said, I found a lot more interesting small critters in Yucab. At every turn, I found new critters.

Punta Sur is interesting but with a distinct been-there-done-that flavor. I doubt I'll elect to go back there.

Columbia deep is a singular experience among the Coz reefs: pinnacles roaring up out of the depths like frozen examples of the mountains in the original Fantasia treatment of Rites of Spring stand interspersed by sweeping Vail-and-Breckenridge quality ski slopes of glistening snowy sand.

Santa Rosa wall in a current is one hell of a wild ride, what with all those crannies and swim-throughs.

I've heard others claim that Paseo del Cedral is a rish source of eels and macro life, but I've never had much luck there. Last couple of times I hit the Pass, the currents damn near took us out to sea. We saw a few interesting critters, but it couldn't compare with what we saw on Yucab.

The destroyer is a bit of a yawn if you discount the glassy sweepers in the hold, but the sandy stretches beyond her bow are rich with life: garden eels, flounder, trunkfish, eels, scorpion fish.

Favorite? Best? Hell, what do you want from a dive?:)

NICE. You should be writing for the NYT.

Its all good diving in my book...but I do have a couple favs.\:D

Only been twice to the island, and dont seem to remember the reefs very well separately, but Cedral was an incredible last dive this year, and palancar is always high on the list. Don't know if it is the true name of the site, but at the north end of the island, Eagle Ray Alley provided my most memorable dive to date. Two flights of eagle rays "Buzzed" us.....a group of three went over us, and a group of 4 went just below us along the wall. A friend swam with them, taking pics and almost close enough to touch them. All the rays were 5-7 feet across.......will definitely try to repeat that one.

Wetvet

If you want a chance to see a little of everything, Palancar Reef gets my vote. Not that other sites aren't great. The multi level dives on this reef are what diving is all about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom