Best diving in the St. Lawrence/1000 Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTADiver once bubbled...
I think what bubble boy is refering to is your statement "Or with an afternoon charter you'd be doing the customs then the wrecks you wanted"

The rules are quiet clear.....to dive on an american wreck you are deemed to be entering the US.......you "must report" to US Immigration. You cant simply dive the wrecks you want as you have to advise them where you are going. If you dive on an American wreck in the afternoon ie the Vickery you can not just go and dive on the Kingshorn on your way back. You must go to a designated port of entry to Canada and clear through customs or use canpass

got it, thanks. I knew that you had to clear customs coming and going, I should have phrased my previous post a bit clearer.

The Kinghorn, Isn't that a shore dive?
The Keystorm, Nice choice.
The Marsh once you dive a Kingston wreck, you'll surely be spoiled.

Jimmy B

Kingshorn is a nice shore dive....as long as your buddy is not an air pig. Kingston wrecks are great!

If he's that much of an airpig, send him on a fundementals course with Dan Mackay,better safe than sorry.

Jimmy B

We are thinking of renting a house that sits on an island very near Alex Bay. Is that convenient for diving? What dive op would you recommend?

Alexandria Bay is good and close to the Vickery. Its also close to the Jodrey(if you want to do technical diving) and I think Moe Hunt runs out of A Bay.

Not that I am trying to sell you on Canada but your US dollars will go a lot further from the Canadian side. There are lots of nice cottages between Brockville and Kingston. There are also a lot more charter operators to pick and choose from. I am sure that most of them will take your US $$ at par to if you ask them. LOL:D

In my opinion the best charter operator in that area (I suspect many people on this board would agree) is Wayne Green who runs Thousand Island Pleasure Diving. His phone number is 613-659-3943 or his email is plsurdiv@1000island.net. He has always been great with us when we are up there. He runs a small boat (8 divers max) and is extremely knowledgeable about area wrecks or drift dives.

Derk

In my opinion Wayne greens boat is to small for comfortable diving he usually takes to many peaple on board his little aluminum boat creating a cattle boat ride. If you look further you can find larger charter boats that have a more comfortable accomidations and facilities on board.

The Jodrey is closed and will remain closed for the 203 season so don't even think about diving her. The US coast guard has over and over and over told all of us that its officially off limits to divers until further notice which I dought will come with in the next two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom