Best Diving Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Training Mag
Dive Alert from DAN has good info from the safety and medical perspectives
Scuba Diver for pics and product info
Advanced Diver Magazine for great tech info and some awesome dive info for way down the road (at least for me).

I also like Dive Training Mag. I also suggest you look on ebay. Sometimes people will sell a few years of old mags from scuba diving and others at a greatly reduced price for used mags. As stated before, they repeat similiar articles every other year or so, thus only the advertisements will be out of date for the most part. This is pretty typical for most "hobby" mags. A two year subscription will lead to you out growing it. I still like to read my old mags though because I do forget stuff. Good Luck!

Dive Training - www.dtmag.com - seems to be the least ad biased I've seen so far that sells for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. I can probably pick up a copy of Dive Training at my LDS. I will likely try out a few of the above. Gregoire, The NW Dive News looks good as it is focused on local diving.

Thanks again
Mike

Regarding the comment that Scuba Diving magazine is "controlled by advertisers." Between the two magazines I regularly see on the news stand, Scuba Diving ,and Sport Diver, I thought Sport Diver was the one everyone said was heavily biased toward their advertisers ? I agree that Dive Training is really good and I look foreward to each issue. I also read the other two as well.

RLarsen:
Regarding the comment that Scuba Diving magazine is "controlled by advertisers." Between the two magazines I regularly see on the news stand, Scuba Diving ,and Sport Diver, I thought Sport Diver was the one everyone said was heavily biased toward their advertisers ? I agree that Dive Training is really good and I look foreward to each issue. I also read the other two as well.
Esp the Jan/Feb issue of Sport Diver.

One of the things that Scuba Diving does is an large "destination" article on some island that diving is big on. Like Cozumel or Bonaire or Grand Cayman. To prove they do this on an advertiser basis, just look in the pages before, in, and after this article and they've sold "extra" ads to businesses on this particular destination that you won't see any other time.

Of course Scuba Diving isn't the only publication that does this. Even you local paper will do things like this. It's very common in the news/magazine publishig business.

In all fairness though, since Rodale's sold Scuba Diving Magazine, they appear to be adding more diving/training articles. It's still heavily ad based, but there seems to be a little more of the value added articles. Who knows, after they get settled into the new ownership, it might be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom