Best Honeymoon/dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon and it is absolutely beautiful. The Diving is great and very relaxing, and the resort is amazing. Do a search on www.tripadvisor.com, and you probably will see nothing but glowing reviews on this place. Good luck, and congratulations. :D

RoatanMan:
Yeah, a few, but before we spend your $6k, let's hear from you.

What exactly are you looking for? A hondo dive vacation to remember like a week aboard a Russian "research" vessel in the Antarctic, or were you looking for something more idylic, such as a week in an over the water cabana with room service and a glass floor to watch the fish feed at night?

Vacations (and honeymoons) mean different things to different people.

Do you want a "dive vacation" or a vacations with some diving? Room service in Cayman or chow-line in Roatan? Aggressor or private yacht?

All that aside, what are your individual diving skills and preparedness for diverse conditions? A mere # of total dives doesn't tell us what you might be ready for. One might have 300 dives and still only be comfortable in Freeport, versus doing shore diving, Zodiacs or current dives.

The places you mention, although perceived by many to be in the "exotic realm", rank far below other lesser known destinations. They're just the ones most people, divers and non-divers alike, have heard of. Some places you might be ready for, others not.

What is your ideal?
YOUR RESPONSE MAKES A LOT OF SENSE.. I AM EXTREMELY BUSY SO I HAVENT HAD A CHANCE TO RESPOND. I WILL DO SO TOMORROW. THANKS... TERRY

I think I might say Bali......

Very luxurious for not a lot of money, A- diving......wonderful food. very safe.

A private villa overlooking the rice paddies and your own private pool runs about 120 a night USD. Would be 800-1000 in many places. You would have about 4K left over though....

collage1-2.jpg

Since you're already in California, skip the Caribbean for now and head west to Bora Bora. Skip Tahiti - you'll get enough of it transiting through to Bora Bora.

My wife and I went to Fiji for our honeymoon and it is a fantastic honeymoon destination if you go to the right places. We went to Qamea Resort on it's own island and Maravu Resort on Taveuni. Qamea is probably a stretch for the budget you mention, but check into Maravu. Also, you might check into Matagi Resort or a few of the other resorts on Taveuni. The diving in the Somosomo Strait is fabulous and the island of Taveuni is called the Garden Island for good reason. There is a lot of stuff to do topside and it is definitely a romantic honeymoon location. I have heard good things about Beqa Lagoon as well. We went to Fiji over Tahiti because we heard the diving was better and it is a bit cheaper than Tahiti.

Since your fiancee is a relatively new diver, you may want to avoid a vacation that is hardcore diving (unless she is already a hardcore diver). Some have suggested liveaboards, but I don't think that will give you quite as much topside activity as you are looking for. A liveaboard is better for an anniversary vacation, I think.

Also, if you are flying from LAX, it is a 10 hour overnight direct flight on a 747 to Nadi. Much easier trip for West Coasters than much of the Caribbean.

For combination of underwater and top side activities and to stay in your budget, I have 2 thoughts for you. Costa Rica, friendly people and a huge amount of diversity for top side life from Jungles to cities. We flew into the west coast airport and left from the capital. We dove from The www.ocotaldiving.com We had our own private pool in a villa on the mountain side overlooking the cove. The dive center took care of all our equipment with fantastic service. We then went inland to www.tabacon.com and played in cascading water heated by the volcano, rappeled down 4 waterfalls and did zip lines through the trees 400' in the air. At the peace lodge www.waterfallgardens.com We had a cliff side villa with a jacuzzi overlooking the valley and largest butterfly garden in Costa Rica. 4 poster bed, fireplace, bathroom with waterfall, 2 showers, steam room and another jacuzzi. We went white water rafting, saw valcanoes, coffee plantations, waterfalls and more. Each place we went to was better than the last. 2nd thought is Belize at www.hamanasi.com We had a Tree house about 12 feet off the ground secluded off a path in the woods but only 6-700' from the beach. All inclusive. Dive shop took care of all equipment. Tours through ruins, jungles, we swam in natural pools under waterfalls in the jungle. Really depends on what your looking to do as someone else had stated. The diving in either place is not extreme and both are drift dives in moderate current. Rica would be my first choice for the wildlife both over and under and the diversity of activities with Hamanasi a close second. Look at the web sites and if you'd like more detailed info please send me a message. I also have dvd's I took on both trips underwater and top side I could make copies of for you if your seriously thinking about this.

Belize is certainly a good choice for a mix of good diving and good topside activities. Especially if you are looking for great hiking, rainforest activities, mayan ruins, caves, etc. I actually wish we had extended our trip to Belize and done more stuff on the mainland. One caution: Belize is not known for having the best beaches. If a great beach is important to you, it might be tough to find in Belize.

I haven't been diving in Costa Rica, so I can't comment on the diving there. For surfing and rainforest tours, Costa Rica is very good.

I think the question is: How romantic do you want and what is your idea of romantic? One advantage of both these places is that they are not as expensive as Tahiti. Also, they are easy to get to from the West Coast.

I would avoid Taca Airlines though. Seriously. We have flown them twice to Central America and each leg of each trip was bad news. Lost luggage both ways. given up reservations, unannounced gate changes, hideous customer service. No matter how tempting the flight time might be, don't do it. Taca sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom