Best ocean dive sites for beginners--Caribbean preferred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advice to hire your own dedicated DM or guide for first dive(s) is on target, ESP for Cozumel. Tell them you're new to the place. This is reasonable cost wise in Coz and good idea due to currents.

Shore diving in Caymans can be very nice and easy ...almost swimming pool calm and clear. Cayman is pricy though.

I will say the number one choice for first ocean dives would be the Florida Keys, omitting the wrecks. Key Largo would top my list. NOT COZUMEL. My second suggestion would be Grand Cayman. I think Bonaire is great, but the best diving there is done off on on one's own with a buddy, and that may not be something you want to do on your first ocean outing. Roatan is a good suggestion, check out Coco View there. Have a great trip.
DivemasterDennis

I would also recommend the Fla Keys if depth is a concern. The majority of the sites are relatively shallow. The Turks and Caicos are fantastic for diving, however you can get deep fairly quick as many of the better sites are wall dives.

What we would like to know is where are some of the best locations for beginner divers going into the ocean for the first time. . . . As beginners we aren't looking for anything too deep or beyond recreational dive limits. 80' to 90' is about our max comfort level at this point. . . . . Our hope is to possibly find a 4-5 day package deal for somewhere down there probably in January/February. Is that even good time for diving down there, I'm pretty certain they don't really have much in the way of "seasons" down there.
I will echo the sentiments on Bonaire. It is probably the easiest place to dive in the ocean, simply because of the availability of shore diving. While some will argue in favor of spots where there is boat diving, that can get a bit pricey. And, while I appreciate the comments about some of the possible challenges of shore diving in Bonaire, realistically the challenges are quite trivial. Entries and exits don't have to be pretty, you just have to get in and out. On Bonaire you can essentially go where you want, when you want. In addition, depending on where you stay, you might find diving from the resort to be readily available and easy.

We (our shop) have been going to Bonaire annually for the past 5 years, leaving this Saturday for the 6th yearly excursion. This year, the round trip cost (airfare included) for 7 nights, unlimited diving, at Buddy Dive is ~$1600. Hard to beat. Breakfast is included, we go to the local market for sandwich fixings and wine (which covers lunches and most dinners), and the prices are not exorbitant. It isn't cheap, but it is reasonable. Plus, I could probably dive every day on the Buddy Reef for that matter and thoroughly enjoy it, but I move around the island during the week in the (price-included) truck. I have been elsewhere in the Caribbean (Roatan, Dominica, etc). I have been to the Keys, a lot. I love those places as well. But, if I wanted to sample ocean diving, stay at a comfortable depth and still see things, not worry about current, not worry about needing a DM, not worry about needing to use a charter boat to get somewhere to see something, Bonaire is it.

Thanks for all the responses.
Air Fare may not be an issue as my buddy has miles for some off-peak times with US Air, so we may be limited to wherever they can take us. I know they go to the Caymans. We aren't interested in a liveaboard, but would probably like at least one day of boat dives with another day or two of shore diving, preferably with a divemaster for the first few dives, the hope is we get comfortable enough t do a couple of shore dives on our own towards the end of the trip.

Other questions I have...
Achohol, we want to spend at least one day relaxing on the beach watching the "scenery" sipping adult beverages. obviously diving and alcohol don't mix, but I know many of the people who take these trips consume. We are generally very careful about drinking in moderation and not before we dive, but What's a good rule of thumb for alcohol consumption and time between drinks and dives?

Also, after several days of diving, do you usually wait a full day with no dives in order to fully off gas before flying home?

Why not Cozumel: When I was taking my OW class I mentioned we had an upcoming trip to Cozumel. And my instruct pulled my wife (now my ex) and I aside and said that Coz not not be right for folks with no experience, becasue it is mostly drift diving. Anyone that has trouble equalizing can get in trouble not being able to descend fast and be with the group. Drifting means you can get separated even when down at depth but if you can't descend you can drift off the reef completely. I appreciated that advice more than you know. Turns out we were going to Playa Del Carmen on the mainland (called the Riviera Maya coast) opposite Coz. That turned out to be easy diving esp. after I told the resort op (Iberostar) we were new. It was right for us. BUT one thing to keep in mind we don't dive full-time on a trip. We dive about 1/2 and sight-see, travel, etc. the rest of the trip. So many people that dive, dive every minute they can for all but the last day and then sightsee the last day before flying. If you want to dive 3-4 times every day I will have to let others comment if the Maya area could hold your interest.

Of all the places I have dove since my favorite for easy access and variety is the Keys. Easy in easy out. It fits your criteria for easy diving. Only had one dive I didn't like down there and it was to a reef so shallow that I went up and over the top at one point and as I tried to descent down the other side my fins broke the surface!

Guess I am really screwed up. My first ocean dives were in Cozumel. Easy boat/drift dives. I think it gave me a lot of experience in a safe environment. Of course I was on a trip with my LDS and there was an instructor watching me and mentoring me. Hiring a DM to go with you on the first day is probably a good suggestion for Cozumel or any other place if they OP doesn't feel comfortable.
I will say the number one choice for first ocean dives would be the Florida Keys, omitting the wrecks. Key Largo would top my list. NOT COZUMEL. My second suggestion would be Grand Cayman. I think Bonaire is great, but the best diving there is done off on on one's own with a buddy, and that may not be something you want to do on your first ocean outing. Roatan is a good suggestion, check out Coco View there. Have a great trip.
DivemasterDennis

If God thinked in a place to dive, he think in Mahahual/Costa Maya. The best place for all levels of training... visit Dive Mexico with Dive Life - Divecenters & PADI courses to know more about the place. Hope to help you again in the near future.
Fran

I do NOT read that they are looking for 4 or 5 dives a day but rather a 4 or 5 day package. Cozumel is awesome and affordable but as already noted...hire a private DiveMaster to get hang of it. Very reasonable cost and great investment. Caymans are expensive but really fit the bill for easy and beautiful diving. I havent been to Bonaire but my best friend was a new diver there as was his wife and they raved about it. Wow...after diving cold murky lifeless quarries you will think you're in heaven...just watch your gauges...it can be clear and warm at 120ft before you know it.

Me and my business partner have had our open water certification or going on 4 years, but unfortunately have been relegated to quarry or inland diving. We haven't had the opportunity or funds to take a dive trip until we recently landed a project lucrative enough for us to afford ourselves the reward of finally being able to go somewhere a little more exotic than an abandoned Rock Quarry.

Anyway, we are trying to look into a few options in the Caribbean. What we would like to know is where are some of the best locations for beginner divers going into the ocean for the first time. a few of the places we are looking at are places like the Caymen Islands, Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, places like that. As beginners we aren't looking for anything too deep or beyond recreational dive limits. 80' to 90' is about our max comfort level at this point.

We are looking for recommendations on the best spots for newbies and for good safe dive charter companies that you all have had experience with in those regions. Our hope is to possibly find a 4-5 day package deal for somewhere down there probably in January/February. Is that even good time for diving down there, I'm pretty certain they don't really have much in the way of "seasons" down there.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom