Question Best Place to Break a U.S. $100 Bill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Unfortunately ended up boarding the plane with some U.S.$100 bills. Need to break those to have small bills. Any thoughts on the best place to do that (where I don't have to spend half of that for them to take the $100)?

Unfortunately ended up boarding the plane with some U.S.$100 bills. Need to break those to have small bills. Any thoughts on the best place to do that (where I don't have to spend half of that for them to take the $100)?
Hotel bill? Dive bill? Take them to a bank and exchange them for pesos? Get pesos from an ATM and bring the US$100's back home with you?

Get pesos from an ATM and bring the US$100's back home with you?
This. I take some USD as backup but rely on ATMs for spending cash. Withdraw and pay everything in pesos unless there is a good reason to pay something in dollars.

Thanks, but I need to break these and use for various smaller items, not big items. Any suggestions on the original question?
buy some small items at the MEGA supermarket, prices are good as well as exchange rate.

dave dillehay
VILLA ALDORA

buy some small items at the MEGA supermarket, prices are good as well as exchange rate.

dave dillehay
VILLA ALDORA
But be advised that you will more than likely get your change back in pesos. I don't think that there is any way for you to break a US$!00 bill on Cozumel to get smaller US$ bills unless maybe your hotel or dive op does a lot of their business in US cash. For minor purchases like (especially) taxi rides, you are better off paying in pesos, anyway.

I got lucky that one of the managers at Mega had 5 twenty dollar bills. I would have taken change in pesos but they said they couldn't do that.

Go to the currency exchange? They *may* be interested in larger bills, and would swap them out for smaller ones, especially if you slipped them a small tip for helping you out...

Pay at the self-service checkout at CVS (at least in NY). Remarkably, these will accept and give change for $100 bills.

Pay at the self-service checkout at CVS (at least in NY). Remarkably, these will accept and give change for $100 bills.
His question was about what to do on Cozumel; I doubt that what you are speaking of is available there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom