Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thingk to remember with 121.5 freq EPIRBs as well as the Air Force is going to stop monitoring the frequency on satellites so if you are using a beacon that ONLY transmits on 121.5 only somebody relatively close will be able to pick up a signal. No clue how far it travels on the ocean but I imagine it will be far enough.

OBXDiveGuy -- will the CG continue to monitor 121.5 even after AFRCC drops support, just not on anything new?

The SPOT device looks interesting, certainly a lot cheaper and even has a phone.

Yup, like Jenny said, 121.5 is used as a homing signal. It works as any VHF frequency will; line-of-site. On the open water, with a beacon physically in the water, it will have a range of just a few miles. But, again like Jenny said, The GPS or triangulation will get the CG close enough that they should be able to pick up the homing signal with their directional equipment. Tests that the CG did found the effectiveness of the small epirbs was greatly enhanced just by lifting it out of the water a foot or so. If you ever see a Coastie close up, you'll see they have a little piece of velcro on their helmet or shoulder. That is where they would put their epirb if they have to activate it.

No, the SPOT doesn't have a phone. Good thing, since Globalstar phones no longer work. The SPOT uses only the simplex, or one-way communication feature of Globalstar which is alive and well, plus, Globalstar may be bought out by Iridium soon, so the network will increase from 44 satellites, to 110.

It just has a button for Checking in, Help, and Emergencies. For the Help and Check in button, you set what email or text message you want sent out, up to 10 people. For the emergency button, you set 2 people you'd like called on your behalf from the dispatch center in TX and then they will contact whatever rescue service is in your area based on your GPS position.

Last edited:
it seams that the most sensible thing would be to get something that has GPS and transmits directly to people that can help you on 406MHz ... and not something that needs a subscription to call people that need to call others to get you help

it seams that the most sensible thing would be to get something that has GPS and transmits directly to people that can help you on 406MHz ... and not something that needs a subscription to call people that need to call others to get you help

If I got some sort of rescue device like that I would certainly get a PLB /w GPS, I have been close a few times to get one for SCUBA and hiking.

The one thing I can see as an advantage of the SPOT system is first off is the initial investment is a lot less. The unit also lets you send a message saying everything is ok, if you are incapacitated and do not active a PLB it is not going to help you. The downside is if the SPOT unit is broken whomever you are sending the ok messages to may think you are lost.

Thanks for clarifying the lack of a phone aspect for SPOT. The bit about a 121.5 beacon off the water makes perfect sense but good to know.

Sure, I agree. I used to carry an epirb as a matter of fact, but that was when someone else paid for it for me. They are expensive. I went with the SPOT this time because it is a bit more versatile. The calling aspect though is an advantage since current policy says the CG needs to wait for a second satellite pass because of all of the false alarms. Without getting into the boring details of satellite systems, a second satellite pass for a SPOT can be within minutes, instead of hours. And, the phone calls can confirm that indeed it is a false alarm, or really a distress. There are phone calls involved with an epirb too. NOAA is the dispatch I think, and they have to contact the SAR asset. Often times, they will try to contact the epirb owner also assuming it is properly registered.

In a 5 year period the cost is less for the PLB.
NOTE: This is a comparison of a PLB and SPOT. The PLB pricing is from only one manufacturer, not necessarily representative of all PLB manufacturers on the market.

Cost of ownership, 5 years PLB: $399- 599 SPOT: $644 - 1,659
Purchase Price PLB:$399- 599 SPOT:$149 - 169*
*$169 includes shipping if ordered from website
Base Fee: per year PLB: No Fee SPOT: $99 911, Help, SPOT checking
Base Fee: five years PLB: No Fee SPOT: $495
Real time tracking feature, per year (optional) PLB:Not Applicable SPOT$49
Real time tracking, five years PLB:Not Applicable SPOT:$245
$100,000 policy to cover search costs, year (optional)
PLB: No Fee SPOT:$8 /yr if purchased at initial activation. $150/yr if purchased after initial activation.
(Coverage on the SPOT policy is limited to $50K per incident. In the US, a fee is not normally charged to be rescued. 406 PLB owners who desire such insurance may obtain it on the open market.)
Above policy for five years PLB:No Fee SPOT: $40 - 750

Sure, I agree. I used to carry an epirb as a matter of fact, but that was when someone else paid for it for me. They are expensive. I went with the SPOT this time because it is a bit more versatile. The calling aspect though is an advantage since current policy says the CG needs to wait for a second satellite pass because of all of the false alarms. Without getting into the boring details of satellite systems, a second satellite pass for a SPOT can be within minutes, instead of hours. And, the phone calls can confirm that indeed it is a false alarm, or really a distress. There are phone calls involved with an epirb too. NOAA is the dispatch I think, and they have to contact the SAR asset. Often times, they will try to contact the epirb owner also assuming it is properly registered.

I know on 121.5 it could take a few hours for a satellite to come overheard, with land searches I want to say it took more then 2 hits before dispatching a team.

They do try and contact the owner assuming proper registration, that cuts back on the activation of SAR teams by a quiet a bit. I *think* that with the new systems they do not need a second hit, rather the first passes on the GPS information. I might be wrong, I am going to double check later on.

Scuba_Jenny:

Thank you for the clarification. I was guessing that's how the new 406MHz and the old 121.5MHz related to each other in the new PLBs, but I was not sure.

I have been "lost" a few times and the Coast Guard has had to look for me. One thing to consider, those large SMB are VERY difficult and tiring to hold vertical for more than 15-20 minutes, especially if it is rough. One option to consider is to tie/clip/attach the weight belt (after it is removed from the diver) to the bottom of the SMB to allow it to stand vertically in the water "on its own". Then you just need to stay attached to the SMB not support it and NOT try to hold the bottom of it down.

aqualung makes an smb "safety sausage" that attaches to the bottom dump valve on the bc and pulling a cord un-furls it and it inflates right off the bcd. it stays attached to the diver and has a cord that you can clip on a d-ring to keep in vertical in the water. a great, great addition to any bc. i have one on mine, and both my buddies put them on theirs.

"Problem with SPOT for divers"

Hi All,

I have recently returned to diving and this has been a great forum and this thread is particularly interesting. The list I have been making for my own signalling/safety kit is getting quite large and I am trying to winnow it down to the best stuff.

I already own a "SPOT" and have been using it for about a year as a check in device when I am working alone. It has worked well on almost every occasion I have needed it, but my work is terrestrial in nature. There has been quite a bit of interest in the device in this thread but I would like to warn about a serious shortcoming that no one else has mentioned. The Globalstar system does NOT work worldwide like the Iridium system and therefore coverage is limited...especially for divers. Please check the coverage map at the findmespot.com website. Drill down through Explorespot and click on coverage. (sorry for not putting the link in...we Newbies aren't allowed to post URL's for the first 5 posts)

You will notice right away that some significant diving areas are not covered well, if at all...Indian Ocean, a good part of southeast Asia and Indonesia, South Africa, and most notably HAWAII.

I hope this info is not redundant...I have been reading this thread quite quickly but I didn't notice if this issue was mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps...

Cheers from the north.

"Problem with SPOT for divers"

Hi All,

I have recently returned to diving and this has been a great forum and this thread is particularly interesting. The list I have been making for my own signalling/safety kit is getting quite large and I am trying to winnow it down to the best stuff.

I already own a "SPOT" and have been using it for about a year as a check in device when I am working alone. It has worked well on almost every occasion I have needed it, but my work is terrestrial in nature. There has been quite a bit of interest in the device in this thread but I would like to warn about a serious shortcoming that no one else has mentioned. The Globalstar system does NOT work worldwide like the Iridium system and therefore coverage is limited...especially for divers. Please check the coverage map at the findmespot.com website. Drill down through Explorespot and click on coverage. (sorry for not putting the link in...we Newbies aren't allowed to post URL's for the first 5 posts)

You will notice right away that some significant diving areas are not covered well, if at all...Indian Ocean, a good part of southeast Asia and Indonesia, South Africa, and most notably HAWAII.

I hope this info is not redundant...I have been reading this thread quite quickly but I didn't notice if this issue was mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps...

Cheers from the north.

That is a real good point. As far as diving in the US is concerned, it works just fine. The rumor in the satellite market is that Iridium will eventually take over Globalstar. There is a very good chance of this happening in the next year or so. When that happens, the SPOT subscribers will have access to Iridium's 66 satellites in addition to Globalstar's 44. That will easily provide global coverage. But in the meantime, you're right, there are certainly areas with great diving not covered.

I do have a scuba housing in the works specific to the SPOT. A friend of mine is professionally designing it. I'll keep those of you interested posted on the progress of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom